Not Thrilled Yet

BamBam

I guess I don't see why everyone is thrilled with the Spacek signing. Yeah, we needed bodies back there but at this price? For someone thats 32? We already have old D-Men. I thought this team was about its youth.

Darcy got a pass last year for sitting back, but its clear he mis-judged the market for Defense this year. Not only that but by not moving Biron sooner the well has once again dried up. Dan Cloutier was traded today for a 2nd round "Conditional" pick. We all may want to think that Marty has more value out there...but his value is to us...not the rest of the league.

I'm sure darcy realizes it now, but he will not get much more then a pick back for Biron. Especially since other teams know that Darcy wants to dump salary. Then we have this over abundance of Fwds. Every other team knows this and will not give the Sabres fair value because they know what Darcy's marching orders are.

I'm sure I'll get replies that say I'm not true fan, and thats cool. I respect it. But I'm just saying some of the same things that our Co-Captain Danny Brier said, and that Mike Grier said on the way out of town. As players- They are Concerned. They want to win. We all want the same thing.

This is very Discouraging.

I guess I don't see why everyone is thrilled with the Spacek signing. Yeah, we needed bodies back there but at this price? For someone thats 32? We already have old D-Men. I thought this team was about its youth.

Darcy got a pass last year for sitting back, but its clear he mis-judged the market for Defense this year. Not only that but by not moving Biron sooner the well has once again dried up. Dan Cloutier was traded today for a 2nd round "Conditional" pick. We all may want to think that Marty has more value out there...but his value is to us...not the rest of the league.

I'm sure darcy realizes it now, but he will not get much more then a pick back for Biron. Especially since other teams know that Darcy wants to dump salary. Then we have this over abundance of Fwds. Every other team knows this and will not give the Sabres fair value because they know what Darcy's marching orders are.

I'm sure I'll get replies that say I'm not true fan, and thats cool. I respect it. But I'm just saying some of the same things that our Co-Captain Danny Brier said, and that Mike Grier said on the way out of town. As players- They are Concerned. They want to win. We all want the same thing.

I won't question your dedication as a fan, but I will question your logic. How can you be upset with Spacek's age, yet lament the loss of Grier, who is 31?

Whether Regier decides to trade Biron or not remains to be seen, but even if he doesn't, the Sabres have two 20 game winners on the roster. How is that a bad thing? And if Darcy's only motivation was to dump salary, he never would have tendered Biron.

Between the loss of McKee and Grier, the Sabres lost 39 combined points. With t he signing of Spacek alone, they've added 43 points to the lineup.

I know, heart and soul, but do you really believe that the only players who showed heart and soul last season were McKee and Grier? Spacek played some big minutes for Edmonton on their run to the Cup. something tells me he'll fit in with the character of Ruff's Sabres

Briere will get his money. He's a passionate player who often speaks before thinking. In the long run, he'll be happy with the team in September.

I guess I don't see why everyone is thrilled with the Spacek signing.

Have you ever seen Spacek play? He is a top 4 defensemen and now gives Buffalo some ridiculous up ice passing and skating ability. If the Sabres are able to forecheck and roll 4 lines like they did last year, this is going to mean a lot more opportunities to score because of Spacek's skating and ability to pinch. I think he has been underated because A) he was in Chicago B) Pronger was so dominant.

Also telling is how he played in space in the Olympics.

I wouldn't worry about age. McKee's body is much more likely to break down over the term of these contracts.

One telling statement that Darcy made on Biron today during a WGR interview....he said "Marty's agent realizes that we still own his rights for one more year".

Cut the guy some slack and trade him Darcy. He's been a great team player during his time here and if he wants a shot with another team, give it to him.

Darcy is not Marty's mom.

Darcy's first interest is and should be to the TEAM.

If he can't improve the team with a trade of Marty then we're better off keeping him here another year. Yes I realize that sucks for Marty. I know I know I know it does. And I respect Marty for how he's handled himself all season, But if all we're gonna get for him is a 2nd round pick and a gaping hole in net. Then another year of the best backup in the NHL it is for us.

If he can't improve the team with a trade of Marty then we're better off keeping him here another year. Yes I realize that sucks for Marty. I know I know I know it does. And I respect Marty for how he's handled himself all season, But if all we're gonna get for him is a 2nd round pick and a gaping hole in net. Then another year of the best backup in the NHL it is for us.

Marty's been paid well for sitting on his a$$. The Sabres don't owe him anything. This franchise can't afford to just give players away when they hold their rights.

You failed to address the issue that instead of signing a journeyman backup for 700-800k, Marty is going to cost the Sabres 2.25 million. With the limited budget the Sabres have, I assume they could better spend the 1.5 million they would save, elsewhere.

You failed to address the issue that instead of signing a journeyman backup for 700-800k, Marty is going to cost the Sabres 2.25 million. With the limited budget the Sabres have, I assume they could better spend the 1.5 million they would save elsewhere.

That is exactly right. I'm glad we finally got this goalie situation down to 2 from 3 but at some point we need to pick a #1, and go with it. If all we are going to get is a 2nd rounder then I guess we have to take it. Nobody is going to give us fair value because they know that Darcy is more concerned about the 2.25 that would come off his books then he is about when he will get back in a trade.

It sucks that we can't package him with a fwd or two for more D help. I think we waited to long on this one and now all of the other teams have made their moves.

That is exactly right. I'm glad we finally got this goalie situation down to 2 from 3 but at some point we need to pick a #1, and go with it. If all we are going to get is a 2nd rounder then I guess we have to take it. Nobody is going to give us fair value because they know that Darcy is more concerned about the 2.25 that would come off his books then he is about when he will get back in a trade.

It sucks that we can't package him with a fwd or two for more D help. I think we waited to long on this one and now all of the other teams have made their moves.

I don't think Darcy is afraid to start the season with Marty on the bench.

The market for goalies may be better in 5 months.

Did you watch any games last year? I am pretty sure we have our number 1 goalie figured out. It was said above, but if all Darcy was worried about was dumping salary, Marty wouldn't have been qualified. Marty will be moved when the right deal comes along, and the right deal will come along. So just relax, October is a long way away.

Good defenceman. He's in the early stages of his prime right now. He's got at least 3 good years left in him. Defencemen take a few years to have an impact in the NHL, and he's there now. Great pick up for Regier.

I'm only worried about Grier gone for the impact he has in the room. Pyatt may be ready to take the exact on-ice role of Grier, if not, there may be a rookie or two ready.

By the way, did you look at TSN's up-to-date rosters? They have Guerin, Weight, Tkachuk and up and coming star Barrett Jackman........but there at the top of the list for salaries, is Jay McKee. That's whacked. Dedication to the Sabres aside, he was, what...their 3rd, 4th defenceman? Until injuries. I said all along someone would offer him 4 mil a year and that he should take it, why not? But when you're getting paid more than those 3 proven vets, you've found yourself the jack-pot. John Davidson, I have some swamp land in Florida I'd like to show you....

But to get Spacek at just over 3 mil a year when he could be a 1st or 2nd d-man, log big minutes and PP time....well, great bargain, great pick-up.

I'll tell you who could fill the Grier void...Kris Draper!! I think some unreliable rumor site mentioned the possibility of Draper coming over in a trade. I don't see it happening, but if it did, we'd be even better next year with these two guys.

Good defenceman. He's in the early stages of his prime right now. He's got at least 3 good years left in him. Defencemen take a few years to have an impact in the NHL, and he's there now. Great pick up for Regier.

I'm only worried about Grier gone for the impact he has in the room. Pyatt may be ready to take the exact on-ice role of Grier, if not, there may be a rookie or two ready.

By the way, did you look at TSN's up-to-date rosters? They have Guerin, Weight, Tkachuk and up and coming star Barrett Jackman........but there at the top of the list for salaries, is Jay McKee. That's whacked. Dedication to the Sabres aside, he was, what...their 3rd, 4th defenceman? Until injuries. I said all along someone would offer him 4 mil a year and that he should take it, why not? But when you're getting paid more than those 3 proven vets, you've found yourself the jack-pot. John Davidson, I have some swamp land in Florida I'd like to show you....

But to get Spacek at just over 3 mil a year when he could be a 1st or 2nd d-man, log big minutes and PP time....well, great bargain, great pick-up.

I'll tell you who could fill the Grier void...Kris Draper!! I think some unreliable rumor site mentioned the possibility of Draper coming over in a trade. I don't see it happening, but if it did, we'd be even better next year with these two guys.

I think JD spent too much time covering the Rangers. Their spending logic seemed to have wore off on him.

We do still have plenty of time to bring in a backup.

I am responding to trading Biron 5 months from now. Unless the Sabres are going to sign and carry 3 goalies and barring a trade before then, it will be Miller and Biron to start the season.

I am responding to trading Biron 5 months from now. Unless the Sabres are going to sign and carry 3 goalies and barring a trade before then, it will be Miller and Biron to start the season.

That is a good point.

Trading Biron mid-season would require a replacement.

I think something will happen before training camp.

Who do you see him being traded to? Since the draft all of the teams that had questions in goal have gone out and addressed it. Dan Cloutier being moved for a 2nd round pick today shows how much the market is dry. These are just moves in the last week...

Kings- Got Cloutier Today

Toronto- Raycroft

Atlanta- Fred Brathwaite, Johan Hedburg

Tampa Bay- Marc Denis

Caroline- John Garhame

Edmonton- Resigned Rollie

Vancouver- Luongo

Belfore is taking a Physical in Detroit so forget about the Kris Draper talk.

Sens- Gerber

Hawks- Lalime

I'm sure I'm missing a few more.

There are still some UFA out there that I bet they will look at.

Don't be surprised to see Varada's name mentioned to play the roll of Mike Grier. Just waiting for that to begin! :-)

Sebastian Caron- Goalie from Pittsburgh is unrestricted. Personally I would've liked Hedberg but we waited to long.

I'll take 2.25 mil a season for 25 more wins this year as a backup.

Anyone else?

If we need him for 25 wins then that means Miller is down, and I don't know if I would like to see that. 2.25 is alot of money for this team. Thats a huge asset that doesn't play.

We should invest that money in our D.

By the way, did you look at TSN's up-to-date rosters? They have Guerin, Weight, Tkachuk and up and coming star Barrett Jackman........but there at the top of the list for salaries, is Jay McKee. That's whacked.

McKee 's deal with St. Louis was sweetened by the fact that they needed to get to the cap minumum. I'm not sure of the exact ramifications (fines/penalties/loss of revenue sharing/etc..) but I've heard it's better for a team to overspend on players to get to that minimum than to deal with the consequences. Does anyone really think Doug Weight is worth 3.5 million at this stage of his career?

Who do you see him being traded to? Since the draft all of the teams that had questions in goal have gone out and addressed it. Dan Cloutier being moved for a 2nd round pick today shows how much the market is dry. These are just moves in the last week...

Kings- Got Cloutier Today

Toronto- Raycroft

Atlanta- Fred Brathwaite, Johan Hedburg

Tampa Bay- Marc Denis

Caroline- John Garhame

Edmonton- Resigned Rollie

Vancouver- Luongo

Belfore is taking a Physical in Detroit so forget about the Kris Draper talk.

Sens- Gerber

Hawks- Lalime

I'm sure I'm missing a few more.

There are still some UFA out there that I bet they will look at.

Don't be surprised to see Varada's name mentioned to play the roll of Mike Grier. Just waiting for that to begin! :-)

Sebastian Caron- Goalie from Pittsburgh is unrestricted. Personally I would've liked Hedberg but we waited to long.

And what's your source of the Belfour physical? After his play/injury problems last year, I really don't see him being the starter in Detroit.

EDIT: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10460&hubname=

Belfour was in Detroit today, however, due to his age, health problems and troubles last year, I think it would be a bad move for the Wings to sign him.

I'll take 2.25 mil a season for 25 more wins this year as a backup.

Anyone else?

I'm in. I won't be unhappy at all if Marty is still the #2 next year. Now, my top preference would be to dump him for prospects and/or draft picks IF we use the saved cash to lock up Briere, Tallinder, etc. -- but if we're unable to do that, by all means, let's keep Marty (I think the Draper thing would be great but is just an internet pipe dream). He was a real contributor last year and might be again next year.

If we need him for 25 wins then that means Miller is down, and I don't know if I would like to see that. 2.25 is alot of money for this team. Thats a huge asset that doesn't play.

We should invest that money in our D.

Again, your reasoning is suspect. They needed Biron for 21 wins last season, when Miller went down. If he goes down again, who do you want to see in net for the Sabres, Sean Burke?

Miller barely weighs 160 lbs, he's going to wear down at points during the season. Buffalo is going to need a backup to play 20-25 games this season.

If the Sabres keep Biron through to the trading deadline, they'll have a strong backup for Miller for 3/4ths of the season. If Miller is healthy and ready to go in March, they can trade Biron, and include the other team's backup goalie in the deal, before giving the reigns over to Miller.

And Biron is only making about 100 grand more than he did last year. With the Sabres willing to increase their payroll 5 or 6 million dollars, Biron's salary is not an excessive burden for what he brings to the team.

Archived