Arbitration

X. Benedict

TSN.ca Staff

7/5/2006 6:18:59 PM

The Buffalo Sabres announced Wednesday that 12 players off their 2005-06 roster have filed for salary arbitration.

According to the team's website, Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Daniel Briere, JP Dumont, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Andrew Peters, Justin Pominville and Ales Kotalik will have their pay for next season decided by a third party.

The deadline for players to file for arbitration was 5pm et on Wednesday. Teams have until 5pm et on Thursday to take their players to arbitration

Comment: Peters thinks he's worth more money ;)

NB: Can nobody get Pominville's name right?

TSN.ca Staff

The Buffalo Sabres announced Wednesday that 12 players off their 2005-06 roster have filed for salary arbitration.

According to the team's website, Maxim Afinogenov, Tim Connolly, Daniel Briere, JP Dumont, Brian Campbell, Henrik Tallinder, Toni Lydman, Adam Mair, Paul Gaustad, Andrew Peters, Justin Pominville and Ales Kotalik will have their pay for next season decided by a third party.

The deadline for players to file for arbitration was 5pm et on Wednesday. Teams have until 5pm et on Thursday to take their players to arbitration

By my count, the only RFA's not filing for arbitration were Biron, Kalinin, Miller, Roy & Pyatt. Very strange in that Miller, Roy and even Kalinin to some extent could make a much better arbitration case than Gaustad, Mair & Peters.

I could be wrong, but the reason that some of the above players did not file is because they are not eligilbe for arbitration.

If I was Darcy, I'd pull Peters offer and tell him to take a hike. <_<

Briere's really the only one up there that will demand big bucks...

REmember, we didn't have a high scorer in the top 50 or something. And while each individual was important to the team. It's based on the comparable salaries of other players who had as much production and such from them around the league.

Briere's really the only one up there that will demand big bucks...

REmember, we didn't have a high scorer in the top 50 or something. And while each individual was important to the team. It's based on the comparable salaries of other players who had as much production and such from them around the league.

Max was #43 and Druy #55 in scoring last year.

By my count, the only RFA's not filing for arbitration were Biron, Kalinin, Miller, Roy & Pyatt. Very strange in that Miller, Roy and even Kalinin to some extent could make a much better arbitration case than Gaustad, Mair & Peters.

I could be wrong, but the reason that some of the above players did not file is because they are not eligilbe for arbitration.

If I was Darcy, I'd pull Peters offer and tell him to take a hike. <_<

Mair and Connolly won't do too well in arbitration because of the injuries. Briere could possibly be hurt by the amount of time he missed last year too. Peters is a complete joke. I'd love to see the arbtrator give him the minimum salary.

The good news here is this should put an end to the rumors I've been hearing (none from verifiable or "inside" sources) that Connolly doesn't want to play again because of health risks. Tough to imagine he'd file for arbitration just to go through the exercise.

Peters has a very limited shelf life.. If he can get a guaranteed half mill... so be it. Like you all wouldn't do the same thing.

I don't get the Peters bashing on this board. If it was the old NHL he'd be a fan favorite.

Peters has very limited hockey skills on the sabres. With that said, he did very well in the minors and i'm sure he could skate circles around us. With the sabres, he's simply the punching bag, nothing more. As much as i hate to say it (because we had the rarest form of a roster last playoff year, 12 forwards who could all play), peters will be a sabre next year and will play his 6-10 games against basement teams and the leafs. Remember, Rob Ray put up like 40 goials or something in an AHL season in the late 80's

as for the rest of the players filing for arbitration, its key for darcy to accept the ruling and give them long term deals that don't all end in the same time. It's one thing to have 12 or so RFA, but its another to have 12 or so UFAs next year or in 3 years.

You're right, if we were in the same situation, we'd all do the same thing. And he probably would be a fan favorite in the old rock 'em, sock 'em NHL, but since its not the "old NHL," giving a half-mil to someone for 28 games of work doesn't sit well with fans - especially since the Sabres are crying poormouth all the time. Honestly I wish there was an exception to the veteran's minimum - I wouldn't mind paying $250K for Peters but not much more.

You're right, if we were in the same situation, we'd all do the same thing. And he probably would be a fan favorite in the old rock 'em, sock 'em NHL, but since its not the "old NHL," giving a half-mil to someone for 28 games of work doesn't sit well with fans - especially since the Sabres are crying poormouth all the time. Honestly I wish there was an exception to the veteran's minimum - I wouldn't mind paying $250K for Peters but not much more.

Make it 150k and you've got a deal. ;)

TSN.ca Staff

What does this mean for contract length? Do they only get one year deals in arbitration. How can an arbitrator determine how many years a contract should be? I hope this doesn't mean these players are all taking one year deals

What does this mean for contract length? Do they only get one year deals in arbitration. How can an arbitrator determine how many years a contract should be? I hope this doesn't mean these players are all taking one year deals

I'd love to call myself the shiznit but all it really took was a 'puter (which i think everyone here has) and google.com.

Salary arbitration

"Most NHL salary arbitration awards are for one year contracts, though two-year awards are sometimes made."

Peters has very limited hockey skills on the sabres. With that said, he did very well in the minors and i'm sure he could skate circles around us. With the sabres, he's simply the punching bag, nothing more. As much as i hate to say it (because we had the rarest form of a roster last playoff year, 12 forwards who could all play), peters will be a sabre next year and will play his 6-10 games against basement teams and the leafs. Remember, Rob Ray put up like 40 goials or something in an AHL season in the late 80's

Peters: Never happened

Ray: Never happened

I think i should look more like this!

Player Name Years@ 2006-2007= Total

Tim Connolly 1 Year@ 1,750,000= 1,750,000

Ales Kotalik 3 Years@ 1,250,000= 3,750,000

Maxim Afinogenov 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

J.P. Dumont 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Dmitri Kalinin 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Adam Mair 1 Year@ 1,000,000= 1,000,000

Andrew Peters 1 Year@ 750,000= 750,000

Paul Gaustad 1 Year@ 1,000,000= 1,000,000

Jason Pominville 3 Years@ 1,250,000= 3,750,000

Henrik Tallinder 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Daniel Briere 3 Years@ 3,750,000= 11,250,000

Brian Campbell 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Toni Lydman 3 Years@ 2,500,000= 7,500,000

Total Payroll= $22,000,000= 29,100,721

I think i should look more like this!

Player Name Years@ 2006-2007= Total

Tim Connolly 1 Year@ 1,750,000= 1,750,000

Ales Kotalik 3 Years@ 1,250,000= 3,750,000

Maxim Afinogenov 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

J.P. Dumont 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Dmitri Kalinin 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Adam Mair 1 Year@ 1,000,000= 1,000,000

Andrew Peters 1 Year@ 750,000= 750,000

Paul Gaustad 1 Year@ 1,000,000= 1,000,000

Jason Pominville 3 Years@ 1,250,000= 3,750,000

Henrik Tallinder 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Daniel Briere 3 Years@ 3,750,000= 11,250,000

Brian Campbell 3 Years@ 1,750,000= 5,250,000

Toni Lydman 3 Years@ 2,500,000= 7,500,000

Total Payroll= $22,000,000= 29,100,721

I don't think you can pay Tallinder the same as Lydman. He should get a little more. Perhaps an additional year would do. Peters should get nothing but the minimum. Why are these all 3 year contracts?

We'd have the same problem in 3 years. Stagger things.

Too much for Pominville at this point.

Archived