Arbitration

X. Benedict

IMHO, one of the biggest factors in negotiating deals with our RFAs is whether the RFA in question is going to be a UFA next year. So: does anyone have a list of our UFAs next year or know where I can find one?

I'm looking around, but I know for sure that Briere is UFA after next year, which made me surprised he was filing for arbitration - are they waiting until after arbitration to offer him a longer deal?

You would have to think he's a priority to lock up for a few years.

ok, I found a link to the status of all of our players - here are next year's UFA's:

Daniel Briere

Adam Mair

Ales Kotalik

Brian Campbell

Henrik Tallinder

J.P. Dumont

Martin Biron

Max Afinogenov

Tony Lydman

Here's the full status - http://www.sabresfans.com/freeagentprojection.asp

Thanks Gilbert. That is a pretty important group of players. I think we need to lock up:

Briere

Kotalik

Max

Campbell

Tallinder

Lydman

I have to believe that Darcy is working on deals with these 6 guys. It would be crazy to just sail into next year with all of these guys playing on one-year deals that they get through arbitration. We'd lose at least 3 out of 6 as UFAs -- and I wouldn't be surprised if it was more than 3.

Of course, the problem is that all 6 are seeing huge dollars being thrown around to UFAs now and are probably visualizing themselves getting big piece of the pie this time next year. This means that it will cost quite a bit for us to get them to forego that opportunity.

ok, I found a link to the status of all of our players - here are next year's UFA's:

Daniel Briere

Adam Mair

Ales Kotalik

Brian Campbell

Henrik Tallinder

J.P. Dumont

Martin Biron

Max Afinogenov

Tony Lydman

Here's the full status - http://www.sabresfans.com/freeagentprojection.asp

I imagine they will sign 2 or 3 of those guys to mutli-year deals before arbitration. Biron will be dealt at some point, and they may just let Dumont/Mair walk. Plenty of young forwards in the cupboard to step in.

IMHO, one of the biggest factors in negotiating deals with our RFAs is whether the RFA in question is going to be a UFA next year. So: does anyone have a list of our UFAs next year or know where I can find one?

A quick check of their age and experience levels (note, I wrote QUICK so I may have something messed up) would indicate that most of the RFA's will become UFA's next year.

Guys that could become UFA's next year would include:

Afinogenov

Biron

Briere

Campbell

Connolly

Drury

Dumont

Hecht

Kalinin

Kotalik

Lydman

Mair

Pyatt

Tallinder

So it looks like Darcy has a LOT of work to do this off-season.

A quick check of their age and experience levels (note, I wrote QUICK so I may have something messed up) would indicate that most of the RFA's will become UFA's next year.

Guys that could become UFA's next year would include:

Afinogenov

Biron

Briere

Campbell

Connolly

Drury

Dumont

Hecht

Kalinin

Kotalik

Lydman

Mair

Pyatt

Tallinder

So it looks like Darcy has a LOT of work to do this off-season.

Dave -- could you tell the group what the rules are for eligibility for UFA status? thanks.

Dave -- could you tell the group what the rules are for eligibility for UFA status? thanks.

For '07-'08, players eligible for group 3 (standard UFA) status need to be either

28 years old on or before June 30 (i.e. born on 6/30/79 or earlier) with 4 accrued seasons or

have 7 accrued seasons.

My list appears to be different than the sabresfan list because Pyatt, Kalinin, and Connolly will have 7 accrued seasons after next season, which the sabresfan list seems to ignore. (The lockout year counts as an accrued season.) Also, I thought Drury's contract was for 4 years, so wiping out '04-'05, would have it expire after this season. If it was originally for 5 years, then he'd be Sabre property for 1 more season. I don't know anything about Hecht's contract, so the sabresfan list may be correct and mine incorrect.

TSN reports that 69 players total elected arbitration. The Sabres are over one-sixth of that. Statistically weird.

I saw that and thought the same thing. That's where all the one year contracts he signed the players to last year are going to keep him busy this year.

Archived