Grier to San Jose

Don

It's actually a 3 year deal. Sorry, lost in translation...

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/207631.html

My translation: Ribbit ribbit ribbit. (Froggy language is so funny)

Babelfish translation:

Mike Grier will continue its career with Sharks de San Jose. 31 years the right winger, who spent the two last seasons with the Sabres of Buffalo, signed a three years agreement which will bring back 1,75 M $ per season to him.

Grier marked seven goals and addition 16 master keys for a total of 23 points in 81 matches with the Sabres last season. He added eight points in 18 meetings in eliminatory series.

He knew his best season with Oilers d' Edmonton in 1998-99 whereas he had piled up 44 points, 20 goals and 24 master keys, in 82 matches.

He also carried the colors of Capitals of Washington during two seasons.

Babelfish translation:

Mike Grier will continue its career with Sharks de San Jose. 31 years the right winger, who spent the two last seasons with the Sabres of Buffalo, signed a three years agreement which will bring back 1,75 M $ per season to him.

Grier marked seven goals and addition 16 master keys for a total of 23 points in 81 matches with the Sabres last season. He added eight points in 18 meetings in eliminatory series.

He knew his best season with Oilers d' Edmonton in 1998-99 whereas he had piled up 44 points, 20 goals and 24 master keys, in 82 matches.

Where else are we going to get a player who can mark 16 master keys in a season?

In all seriousness, this sucks. Two of my favorites are gone in as many days, and no deal for Biron yet.

2 down, 1 to go. Can't wait to see where Teppo signs. Props to everyone who jumped on me when I told you this was going to happen....and you said "Oh they have all publicly stated they want to come back." It's not hard to figure out that what people say and what they do are 2 completely different things most of the time.

Babelfish translation:

That really stinks. While I thought that was at the high end of where his value would be placed, I thought the Sabres would be willing to match an offer of that nature.

Looks like either Grier wasn't serious about wanting to stay a Sabre as it would appear that he didn't give the Sabres the opportunity to match. Or, there is quite a bit of truth to X's Jim Kelley rumor that the Sabres don't have a TV contract for next season and as such have $3-6MM less money for players than they expected and were letting on. (A 3rd possibility is that they are just cheap like apuszczalowski believes. I'm not to the point where I believe that one yet as that reason makes being a fan very frustrating, with little sign of abatement.)

Either way, not a good start to the summer.

EDIT: According to a different thread, it looks like it was explanation #1 - Grier wasn't serious about wanting to stay a Sabre. Oh, well. I definitely wanted to see the Sabres re-sign him, but if he doesn't want to be here it wasn't going to happen.

2 down, 1 to go. Can't wait to see where Teppo signs. Props to everyone who jumped on me when I told you this was going to happen....and you said "Oh they have all publicly stated they want to come back." It's not hard to figure out that what people say and what they do are 2 completely different things most of the time.

I think it was a foregone conclusion that McKee was not going to be back and I felt that Darcy was going to also let Grier walk. No big surprise to me. It will be a whole different story if Teppo is not re-signed without adding a vet or two on the blueline.

I think it was a foregone conclusion that McKee was not going to be back and I felt that Darcy was going to also let Grier walk. No big surprise to me. It will be a whole different story if Teppo is not re-signed without adding a vet or two on the blueline.

Yea, you weren't one of the people using the "they said they will be back" thing as some way to rationalize what they thought would happen.

I am extremely concerned already, just because Grier was one of our best players when it counted---in the playoffs. And obviously McKee. 2 character players who sacrificed a lot each and every night. It's not as if you're going to see Vanek blocking shots or something. It takes a kind of commitment to play the way Grier and McKee did and although they were "role players," it's going to be hard to find replacements for those 2.

The good news is there are still players to be had out there....Witt, Ward, Spacek, Poti, Markov, Hill on defense, guys like Halpern, Peca, Carter, Allison, Rucchin...oh yea and somebody named NUMMINEN too :angry:

I have to say that I am a bit disappointed seeing Mckee go and now Grier. Both were hardworking team guys. I dont begrudge them leaving for a better payday, they're earned the right to make some money. Fact is Darcy didnt want them back, or he would of made a play for them. I honestly believe Teppo is coming back, and that a trade will happen for Marty, although one has to think we arent trying to hard to move him right now seeing as how some lesser proven goalies have signed deals. But the fact is the playoff loss was a letdown, the leak of the new jerseys look is a letdown, and now two popular guys are gone and this teams chemistry is taking hits. Its going to take some time for me to get a good feeling for next season, and I dont even play. Imagine how the guys coming back feel. The other clubs are now wise to the "new NHL" and our Sabres will be one of 32 again. Same ol same ol for Sabres fans.

ESPN has the story now

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2508493

Sorry to see him go - didn't sound like he was interested in hearing Buffalo's offer according the EPSN article - who knows though.

I think we get more value from Derek Roy / Pominville - maybe Clark MacArthur than $1.75 mio - especially 3 years out.

Sure there are intangibles (Drury's buddy, leadership, etc.) but if Mike hadn't had such a great postseason, who knows how we'd feel.

Trouble is you can never replicate a playoff run from one year to the next - even if the exact same lineup is in place - guess we can just hope for more people to step up when needed.

I'm not surprised we haven't signed anyone - it took awhile last year. Also never expected us to go after any forwards (Darcy & Lindy are dance with the ones that brung ya types to the point of disaster) but we absolutely had better pick up some more depth & experience in the Defense.

grier's a great guy and it would've been nice to keep him, but that's a lot of money and a long commitment for a guy who only put up 23 points.

Very true. It was the intangibles, but maybe we have enough of those.

I hope Darcy isnt actiove b.c he is so dman busy working on long terms deals with our RFA.

It seems like Mike Grier could have been re-signed for a reasonable number. Even though we have alot of forwards, I think he will be missed on special teams. If he left for other reasons, then that was that. But if it was because we didn't want to re-sign him as they had said they weren't planning to, this sends another message to the rest of the team that could end up being detrimental to keeping the rest of the group together for the long term.

Frisky, of course we find out today that the message being sent to the rest of the players is that one of their leaders bolted the team, not for money, but because of the direction the team is headed. That's pretty startling. I don't think anyone can say they predicted this.

Frisky, of course we find out today that the message being sent to the rest of the players is that one of their leaders bolted the team, not for money, but because of the direction the team is headed. That's pretty startling. I don't think anyone can say they predicted this.

Indeed...What does it say about management when players say such things AFTER a magical season that most feel was a result of some terrific team chemistry?

It may say that the players think management got lucky on the cheap last season, and instead of building upon it, they're going to see if they can pull the same trick again. That sounds awfully familiar to another oh-so-close-to-the-Cup offseason wwe had around here a few years ago...Something about tools?

I hope the above isn't the case. But honestly, can Darcy be retained if this offseason remains noneventful and the Sabres, say, miss the playoffs next year?

I can't imagine how.

Oh GGM! Darcy... The Eunuch... he has his job for life. This dour hatchet man, this spineless weasel, lowers expectations with the best of them and watches the piggy bank for his wealthy boss, cutting off the fingers of anyone who reaches in for an extra penny. He dampens enthusiasm and ensures that Buffalo keeps its small market mentality, the classic self fulfilling prophecy. He ain't going anywhere. He's too good at what he does.

He made the ECF finals in 3 of his 8 years, How could anyone undermine his plan. Everything BUffalo does is the way you build a team in the new NHL and when you have a salary cap. Guess what, he made the ECF in 2 of his 7 years before this season started and everyone was ready to fire him then. Its amazing what one magical season can do, now all of the sudden he is a hockey genius and can do no wrong. Player 'X' leaves, no problem, there is someone in Rochester to take there place, or he will deal this player somewhere and pickup a underachiever/unproven player who will become a Superstar in Buffalo (and then leave once they get good)

I need to see more then just one good year before I start praising Darcy for his plan.

Darcy siad he was prepared to match that offer but Grier wanted to go to San Jose becuase of his wife.

That paycheck is going to seem a little small when Mrs. grier starts house hunting in the SJ area.

Not understanding the logic here. In the news today Greir is quoted as signing with SJ because he felt unsure as to the direction of the Sabres and their committmetn to keeping the team together (ie paying players). Obviously they were willing to pay him what SJ would and a 3yr deal, too so, shouldn't that have addressed his concern? Mayne he just doesn't like the new uniform.

Archived