Edmonton Just Won The Stanley Cup!

PTS

Sabre fans would have no reason to boo Peca. Let's save our disdain for former players we have good reason to hate, like Hasek. I don't know, I just hate the idea that every time Peca touches the puck, he would be booed. Negative energy, man, negative energy.

Yes, the Oiler fans are great. One reason why? They are allowed to get in the game. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I did not hear ONE bit of piped-in sound in that arena tonight. No rock music, no organ, nothing. Just the guy with the air horn who got the chants going. I would love to have the Sabres try that approach in HSBC Arena.

I think a Sabres vs. Edmonton series would be amazing! And if Peca got negative reception, that'd be so stupid and lame. It's not like he's done anything to deserve that. Plus, Peca's always been one of my favorite players, so it'd be really exciting :)

~Dianne~

Sabre fans would have no reason to boo Peca. Let's save our disdain for former players we have good reason to hate, like Hasek. I don't know, I just hate the idea that every time Peca touches the puck, he would be booed. Negative energy, man, negative energy.

Yes, the Oiler fans are great. One reason why? They are allowed to get in the game. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I did not hear ONE bit of piped-in sound in that arena tonight. No rock music, no organ, nothing. Just the guy with the air horn who got the chants going. I would love to have the Sabres try that approach in HSBC Arena.

I don't like him for holding out. But that's just me.

Wow, were those fans loud. How awesome would a Buffalo vs. Edmonton series be?

First conference finals appearance since 1992....I guess they've been storing up all that energy for when they got back there.

I really really really like Edmonton. I have their jersey and they are just awesome to watch, but they do scare me so I hope they punish anaheim and are themselves too weak by the time they face us in the finals. :D

Of course that may just be wishful thinking but it would be the best finals match-up for sure.

I just shutter at the thought of the Anaheim Mighty Ducks appearing on the Stanley Cup...it's not right at all, it really isn't.

Whatever happens, Buffalo and Edmonton are the most deserving teams in my humble opinion.

Miller Time vs Roli the goalie? How fantastically dramatic!

I would dread a Oilers/Sabres series. First of all, it could be incredibly boring with both teams "turttling" waiting for the other to make a mistake, then playing the trap in each other's ends. Zzzzzzzzz. Also the Oilers look very tough, although San Jose looked like they pretty much quit in game 5.

PTR

Yeah, Peca doesn't deserve to get booed, he only sat out an entire season because of a contract dispute and then went around and said how bad the organisation was (Upper management, not the city of Buffalo). He wasn't that much different then Hasek

If he is not wear a Sabres jersey, he will not get a cheer out of me. In a Buffalo series, he is the enemy, along with Roli the goalie. If you have the opponents jersey on, you will get a boo from me.

On a complete side note, How weird would it be to see Roloson leading a team into the stanely cup? Hes a good goalie, but when he was traded to edmonton this year and played in his first couple games, he didn't look much better then the guys he came to replace.

Yeah, Peca doesn't deserve to get booed, he only sat out an entire season because of a contract dispute and then went around and said how bad the organisation was (Upper management, not the city of Buffalo). He wasn't that much different then Hasek

If he is not wear a Sabres jersey, he will not get a cheer out of me. In a Buffalo series, he is the enemy, along with Roli the goalie. If you have the opponents jersey on, you will get a boo from me.

On a complete side note, How weird would it be to see Roloson leading a team into the stanely cup? Hes a good goalie, but when he was traded to edmonton this year and played in his first couple games, he didn't look much better then the guys he came to replace.

Upper management ended up being carried off in cuffs. I'd say he was right. Personally, I think Rigas didn't allow Regier to make a deal with Peca in order to save money.

1. IMHO, Peca behaved much worse than Dominik. He had a lousy year (dropping from 56 pts in '99 to 41 in '00) after we got hosed in the finals. Scoring isn't the whole story with evaluating Peca, but I thought he played that whole year like he was feeling sorry for himself about "no goal" and about not having the contract he wanted. That's not what a captain does. The rest of the team followed him right down the tube and we missed the playoffs.

Then, he sits out because he thinks he's worth $4 million per year? Give me a break. He wasn't worth $4 million, or $3 million for that matter, then, and he's not worth it now. That's also not what a captain does. If you're not happy with your contract, you suck it up and you play by the rules like everyone else: you sign a short-term deal that takes you until you're eligible for free agency, and in the meantime you play hard for your team and your fans. You don't quit on your team because you want more money and you don't want to follow the same rules that apply to everyone.

With all of that said, I am rooting for him and for Edmonton. Other than '00 and the way he left, he certainly busted his butt for us for 4 solid years and he is a very good player (one that I would love to have kept and still have -- just not at more than say $1.5 million per year). He's also come back from a major injury inflicted on him by a very dirty play from that CS Darcy Tucker.

2. I also think Dominik is getting a bad rap here. What exactly did he do to deserve criticism? He was an incredible player who put an average team on his shoulders for 3 good playoff runs. He gave us everything he had on the ice and was very generous to the community as well.

Some people are unhappy with the way he left. I look at it this way: after he carried the team for NINE YEARS, and he was turning 37, and only when it became clear that the team was falling apart (and couldn't pay him anyway), he engineered a trade to a cup contender so that he could have a shot at the cup before he retired. Can anyone really begrudge him this?

As for the allegations that he quit on the team in the playoffs in '97 (echoed this year in Ottawa) -- I find these ridiculous. Why on earth would he not want to play if he were physically capable of playing? This isn't a matter of not wanting to play with pain. A goalie can't play if his knees or groin aren't right -- and if he can't play but is in there anyway the team is going to pay the price in the form of easy goals being let in. No one knows his body better than he does.

As for "I will always be a Red Wing" -- this certainly bothered me too, but he said it in the heat of the moment after winning a cup. Hasn't each of us said something ill-advised now and again? I'm confident that when it's time for him to go into the hall of fame it will be as a sabre.

3. Meanwhile, this whole thread is worrying me in that we are getting way ahead of ourselves. We have a damn good team -- that we lost to 3 out of 4 this year -- to play right now before we even think about the finals. We are missing Connolly and Kalinin and it's at least 50% likely that both are gone for the year. One of their injured guys (Stillman) is back practicing at 100%. The Hurricanes are a major challenge that can't be overlooked.

Just my opinion.

Go Sabres.

Well I can see the writing on the ice already. If the Sabres meet the Oilers in the finals, Peca gets booed every time he touches the puck and Roloson gets booed every time he makes a save. If Peca ever scores, the ice gets the littered with tuna cans. The fans brood and are urged to "make some noise!" When the Sabres retake the lead, of course they go nuts. I don't know about the players, but in a matchup of fans, we get swept. Those Oiler fans are amazing.

nfreeman, Hasek said he would retire as a Red Wing during a press conference the day after he was traded. And you don't go into the Hall, anyway, as a member of any team. I think you need to study up on the events of 96-97 that culminated with Hasek pulling himself from the rest of the playoffs.

1. IMHO, Peca behaved much worse than Dominik. He had a lousy year (dropping from 56 pts in '99 to 41 in '00) after we got hosed in the finals. Scoring isn't the whole story with evaluating Peca, but I thought he played that whole year like he was feeling sorry for himself about "no goal" and about not having the contract he wanted. That's not what a captain does. The rest of the team followed him right down the tube and we missed the playoffs.

Then, he sits out because he thinks he's worth $4 million per year? Give me a break. He wasn't worth $4 million, or $3 million for that matter, then, and he's not worth it now. That's also not what a captain does. If you're not happy with your contract, you suck it up and you play by the rules like everyone else: you sign a short-term deal that takes you until you're eligible for free agency, and in the meantime you play hard for your team and your fans. You don't quit on your team because you want more money and you don't want to follow the same rules that apply to everyone.

With all of that said, I am rooting for him and for Edmonton. Other than '00 and the way he left, he certainly busted his butt for us for 4 solid years and he is a very good player (one that I would love to have kept and still have -- just not at more than say $1.5 million per year). He's also come back from a major injury inflicted on him by a very dirty play from that CS Darcy Tucker.

Just my opinion.

Go Sabres.

My views on Dom are already well known, so I will not comment on him.

I don't think Peca's poor post-SC season was due to pouting or anything else like that. I think he was just completely worn down from the previous season. He was spent by the time Buffalo played Dallas and the reduced off-season due to the SC run didn't give him enough time to fully recover. (That's my take anyway.)

Also, after the team made some major deadline deals they did sneak into the playoffs that year, but again were totally spent by the time they made the playoffs, and could not overcome NO GOAL part Deux.

Peca sat out the next season because he DID NOT HAVE a contract. It wasn't a case of him not wanting to play for what he had agreed to, it was a case of not wanting to play for what he was offered. I put 80% of the blame for that situation on the criminals, 15% on Peca, and 5% on Darcy.

I will go to my grave believing that the Sabres would have won the SC that season had Peca signed in December and I believe they had a huge opportunity to win it all if they had traded him for something that season. The irony is, the guys the Sabres got in the Peca deal (which was essentially the removal of that 1st card that caused the whole house of cards to collapse back in '01) are key contributors to the Sabres having a legitimate chance to win the SC this season.

And now, IF the Sabres get past Carolina, it could be Peca standing in the way of the Sabres finally getting their names etched and it could be Buffalo standing in the way of Peca. Throw Rolosen into the mix and you definitely have some very interesting story lines IF that matchup were to take place. This is definitely getting ahead of the game, as there are some pretty good story lines in these 2 series. Laviolette vs Miller, Miller vs Ward, Wesley vs Teppo, bring reserves from within vs go out and get reserves, 2 teams picked to finish in the bottom 3 in their conference finishing in the top 4 worst case in the league, fast forwards vs fast forwards, shot blocking d vs shot blocking d, great faceoff men vs great faceoff men, stretch the ice wide and long vs stretch the ice long, etc., etc.. That's just in the Sabres - Carolina series.

How did Peca sit out a season that he was not undercontract in? was he a RFA at the time? If your not undercontract, you can sign with anybody and are not considered sitting out.

Not sure if he was exclusive rights FA or RFA, too lazy to go back and look it up.

He was "sitting out", he was not "holding out" as he had no contract to be holding out on.

Archived