2024 NHL Playoffs - ROUND TWO

Was a great night of hockey for me. Bruins sent packing, Casey sent packing and Chris Tanev, who played his college hockey at RIT is moving on. I don't care for Dallas, but it would be nice to see an RIT product win a cup. 

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Thorny has proven Eichel was better defensively here than the general perception but I’d certainly say he wasn’t anywhere near as consistent and focused on his two way game until Cassidy took over the Knights.

It’s always fascinating how there is little in way to predict which players will be “playoff players” and which won’t. Size and skill seem almost meaningless in the odds. A larger player can be a great regular season player but fold in the playoffs like a paper airplane while a small speedster could suddenly elevate himself to a playoff star. 

It's character. Some guys want it, some are indifferent, or maybe just don't want it as much. Not willing to pay the price. Playoff games are harder, faster, more physical, more intense, and some players just don't want to give that extra effort as much as others. 

I think you can predict some of it by watching how they play in big games and at key moments but you are right in that size and skill don't always follow through.

4 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Someone check in on @PerreaultForever 😉

lol, it was a good game. Pity they lost but I liked the effort level. Florida clearly had the more talented team but the Bruins gave it their all and it was a bounce away from going the other way. Can't really complain, even though I would have enjoyed a game 7. 

Really liked Geekie in the playoffs. We should have signed him as our 3C.

Ullmark will be traded this off season. Marchand is pretty much done. Although in the long run Power is likely much better, at the moment I'd prefer Lohrei. Kid really stepped up. It will be an interesting off season for Beantown. 

I guess now I will join the local Canucks bandwagon for however long that lasts.

The Bruins beat the Leafs though, and that was very satisfying. 

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's character. Some guys want it, some are indifferent, or maybe just don't want it as much. Not willing to pay the price. Playoff games are harder, faster, more physical, more intense, and some players just don't want to give that extra effort as much as others. 

I think you can predict some of it by watching how they play in big games and at key moments but you are right in that size and skill don't always follow through.

My father in law used to have an interesting take on playoff performance.

He said that guys who have a mercenary mindset fade away at that time of year. The players don’t get paid as their salary has been paid out during the regular season. The financial reward from the league for winning a Cup is small change compared to their salaries.

Those kind of guys do well in the 80% part of the season but may not want to give 100% for two more months.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, it was a good game. Pity they lost but I liked the effort level. Florida clearly had the more talented team but the Bruins gave it their all and it was a bounce away from going the other way. Can't really complain, even though I would have enjoyed a game 7. 

Really liked Geekie in the playoffs. We should have signed him as our 3C.

Ullmark will be traded this off season. Marchand is pretty much done. Although in the long run Power is likely much better, at the moment I'd prefer Lohrei. Kid really stepped up. It will be an interesting off season for Beantown. 

I guess now I will join the local Canucks bandwagon for however long that lasts.

The Bruins beat the Leafs though, and that was very satisfying. 

I was a Bruins fan for that series. I did pick FLA to win the cup this year. I thought after game 1 when Boston destroyed FLA that this would go 7. The the Panthers turned it on and there was a disparity in talent for sure. Swayman was a huge factor here. 

I'd like to see McDavid get to the dance, but I have no real dog in that series, I just hope it goes 7. 

The Avalanche looked poor, maybe Dallas is that good, but that's not the Avs team from years past. 

Watching just further cements that our team is AT BEST a first round easy exit. And that's their ceiling. So sad 

The Bruins lose… I liked their effort level.

The Sabres win… The other team played badly.

Precious gems from the guy who preaches nonstop about toughness, defensive ability and physicality, yet chooses a screen name of a guy with none of those attributes. ZERO.

If Gilbert Perreault played on this team today the only time you wouldn’t piss on him would be if he was on fire.

FOREVER!!! 🙄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • dislike 1

2 hours ago, SDS said:

The Bruins lose… I liked their effort level.

The Sabres win… The other team played badly.

Precious gems from the guy who preaches nonstop about toughness, defensive ability and physicality, yet chooses a screen name of a guy with none of those attributes. ZERO.

If Gilbert Perreault played on this team today the only time you wouldn’t piss on him would be if he was on fire.

FOREVER!!! 🙄

You’re not wrong, but the glass half full vs half empty perspective has been well earned by the two teams in question here.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

My father in law used to have an interesting take on playoff performance.

He said that guys who have a mercenary mindset fade away at that time of year. The players don’t get paid as their salary has been paid out during the regular season. The financial reward from the league for winning a Cup is small change compared to their salaries.

Those kind of guys do well in the 80% part of the season but may not want to give 100% for two more months.

It's true. Some guys want it, some guys don't care as much. 

This is why you need a strong locker room and a strong culture with veteran leaders who are warriors and want it. When you have that they tend to drag the others up with them and the pressure is on to meet the expectation and be part of the group. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was a Bruins fan for that series. I did pick FLA to win the cup this year. I thought after game 1 when Boston destroyed FLA that this would go 7. The the Panthers turned it on and there was a disparity in talent for sure. Swayman was a huge factor here. 

I'd like to see McDavid get to the dance, but I have no real dog in that series, I just hope it goes 7. 

The Avalanche looked poor, maybe Dallas is that good, but that's not the Avs team from years past. 

Watching just further cements that our team is AT BEST a first round easy exit. And that's their ceiling. So sad 

Dallas is playing near perfect defensive hockey. It's a tight system with veteran leadership and excellent goaltending. Vegas was a loaded team and Dallas managed to knock them off so I think Dallas is capable of beating anybody. Not saying they will, but right now I'd say they are a favourite for the cup. 

I'd predict a Dallas-Florida toss up cup final at the moment. Rangers have more talent than Boston had but Florida has the grit and the experience. They are dirty but also smart and I think they will draw guys like Rempe into dumb penalties. If their PP works that could kill the Rangers at key moments. 

There's two possibilities and only Florida knows which is the reality. The Boston Florida series was old time physical with some really hard hits both ways. By the end of it Florida seemed a little less physical so they are either wearing down already due to the physicality (which ultimately got them last year) or they are holding back a little because they know they will need it later. I personally think it's the latter but it's hard to say. 

Vancouver's the wild card to me. I mean they are doing it with a third string goalie and their superstar has been largely quiet but at times they really look good so who knows. 

On 5/16/2024 at 1:19 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I know most of you guys hate Marchand, but maybe you can respect this:

It pisses me off when he shows any class and disrupts my narrative of him. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I get it. The narrative in Boston and outside Boston are two completely different things. He is beloved in that town and by his teammates. 

You absolutely love that player if he is on your team. That said, just hearing his name makes me angry and sick.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

You absolutely love that player if he is on your team. That said, just hearing his name makes me angry and sick.

"sick" seems a little extreme but I understand your point as a Sabres fan. I would think however that Lucic made you sicker. He should have. 

I was trying to think of the guys I've really hated. I think Darcy Tucker fit that bill. He was very Marchandesque and he played for Toronto so how could I not hate that? Ken Linesman was really hateable. I personally think he was much dirtier than Marchand. 

Of course at least half the 70s Flyers team would also be in that category. 

None of them made me "sick" though. It was just good healthy hate. 

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

"sick" seems a little extreme but I understand your point as a Sabres fan. I would think however that Lucic made you sicker. He should have. 

I was trying to think of the guys I've really hated. I think Darcy Tucker fit that bill. He was very Marchandesque and he played for Toronto so how could I not hate that? Ken Linesman was really hateable. I personally think he was much dirtier than Marchand. 

Of course at least half the 70s Flyers team would also be in that category. 

None of them made me "sick" though. It was just good healthy hate. 

Yes, that was hyperbole.

7 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

My thoughts thus far 7 minutes in?

Stars in 5

The winner of this one has a good chance to win game #1 as the Stars have been sitting awhile, resting but not having that intensity level at 10.

I do like their chances though, they are a well balanced team.