Off-season Game Plan 2024

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lol really? 

He's going to have to pay Quinn, Peterka, UPL, Jokiharju, and Byram soon. The Skinner contract blocks a big-time top 6 signing.

• Disagree 1

Adams tells WGR the merits of  long-term extensions for Quinn and Peterka are questions they are talking internally about.

He didn't outright say this, but to me his tone was such that it seemed the team and the agent might be cautious about doing.

His response on Skinner was very interesting.

He was asked about whether or not he thought Skinner's game was falling off.

He responded about Jeff being proactive about taking care of himself and how there is no crystal ball, but then finished up with a statement all players are being reviewed and they are going to look at everything: make decisions that help them win hockey games.

The question really had nothing to do about making any decisions on Skinner, so I am making the huge leap that there may actually be some consideration given to moving on from Jeff.

Asked about with the cap space the Sabres have, would there might be more action in free agency than in years past. Adams then said the following:

"Yea, I think it's a balance you know? It's a fair question Jeremy, and I never, you know, get totally caught up. I know people really look at cap space and say okay are we gonna go right to the cap. There's never been an issue with us spending, it is about trying to build the roster and be methodical about the way we do it. We will definitely target free agent or free agents if we think it makes sense, umm you know obviously it can get tricky. When you get to unrestricted free agency, if you get into that game, you know often you are overpaying either term or dollar or both. You have to be comfortable with that. Yea I would say this year something you know, we've done it last year adding Clifton and other guys over the years, it is definitely something we will look at. But to me, it's about winning hockey games. It is about putting our roster in the best position to kinda round out our group. I like our core. I really like where our goaltending is at. I really like where our D core is at. I believe in our talent up front. I think we need to round out especially our bottom 6, become harder to play against. I think we need to add a little bit more physicality, just be a little bit grittier. Have more identity in that bottom 6. Those are the things that I believe and we'll be talking a lot about over the coming weeks so if there's players that fall into that mold that we think can help us we'll go after them and if not we'll look for trades or other ways to do it." - Kevyn Adams

Edit: https://www.audacy.com/stations/wgr550/shows/the-jeremy-joe-show-0f40c/episodes/f9982e2fa293 right around the 9:21 mark on the nose, Jeremy asks the question and you can here the response I typed out. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Yeah and Byram is a Stanley Cup champion. They can get a middle 6 centre.

Okay.  And I get that he had a good playoff that year.  Show me he can do it on the Sabres.  And find a 3C. 

The Sabres have enough defensive depth at this point.  Incremental improvement was needed, not a big splash.  In making the big splash, they plucked out the heart of the Top Nine forward group.

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Who’s the best centre we’ve seen brought in by Adams so far in 4 years? Actually asking 

Krebs? 

Currently, yes.  Through the draft there are a couple that may be better... Kulich, Östlund, Savoie...

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams basically just said on WGR they are looking at the bottom 6 to add grit and basically poo pooed any thought of adding to the top 6. 

I listened to the interview and didn't catch this.

It sounded to me like they wouldn't be spending big money free agency, just filling out the bottom half of the roster.

But I didn't hear pushback against the idea of adding to the top 6. I thought his willingness to trade #11 sort of implied the opposite.

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Asked about with the cap space the Sabres have, would there might be more action in free agency than in years past. Adams then said the following:

"Yea, I think it's a balance you know? It's a fair question Jeremy, and I never, you know, get totally caught up. I know people really look at cap space and say okay are we gonna go right to the cap. There's never been an issue with us spending, it is about trying to build the roster and be methodical about the way we do it. We will definitely target free agent or free agents if we think it makes sense, umm you know obviously it can get tricky. When you get to unrestricted free agency, if you get into that game, you know often you are overpaying either term or dollar or both. You have to be comfortable with that. Yea I would say this year something you know, we've done it last year adding Clifton and other guys over the years, it is definitely something we will look at. But to me, it's about winning hockey games. It is about putting our roster in the best position to kinda round out our group. I like our core. I really like where our goaltending is at. I really like where our D core is at. I believe in our talent up front. I think we need to round out especially our bottom 6, become harder to play against. I think we need to add a little bit more physicality, just be a little bit grittier. Have more identity in that bottom 6. Those are the things that I believe and we'll be talking a lot about over the coming weeks so if there's players that fall into that mold that we think can help us we'll go after them and if not we'll look for trades or other ways to do it." - Kevyn Adams

Edit: https://www.audacy.com/stations/wgr550/shows/the-jeremy-joe-show-0f40c/episodes/f9982e2fa293 right around the 9:21 mark on the nose, Jeremy asks the question and you can here the response I typed out. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I listened to the interview and didn't catch this.

It sounded to me like they wouldn't be spending big money free agency, just filling out the bottom half of the roster.

But I didn't hear pushback against the idea of adding to the top 6. I thought his willingness to trade #11 sort of implied the opposite.

Personally I think this quote spoke out against what you are saying here " I like our core. I really like where our goaltending is at. I really like where our D core is at. I believe in our talent up front. I think we need to round out especially our bottom 6, become harder to play against. I think we need to add a little bit more physicality, just be a little bit grittier. Have more identity in that bottom 6." 

Also, 11 on it's own doesn't get you a good top 6 unless there is a cap dump somewhere. It is possible but I heard his #11 quote differently in that he expects to make the pick. Different interpretations though so idk who is correct. 

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually scratch my previous post, I can see where you're coming from in the bold.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Personally I think this quote spoke out against what you are saying here " I like our core. I really like where our goaltending is at. I really like where our D core is at. I believe in our talent up front. I think we need to round out especially our bottom 6, become harder to play against. I think we need to add a little bit more physicality, just be a little bit grittier. Have more identity in that bottom 6." 

Also, 11 on it's own doesn't get you a good top 6 unless there is a cap dump somewhere. It is possible but I heard his #11 quote differently in that he expects to make the pick. Different interpretations though so idk who is correct. 

Or like you said. LOL

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Interpretation: He's going to have to pay Quinn, Peterka, UPL, Jokiharju, and Byram soon. The Skinner contract blocks a big-time top 6 signing. Best we can do is a few cheap bottom-six forwards.

19vcz0.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

As for #11.

"We're in a different phase right now. We need to look at every possible scenario that will help our team get better. So when I talk about winning now, that absolutely comes into play. We're not going to do something that doesn't make sense, but we will definitely talk about that type of move. Maybe it makes a lot more sense now than it did one, two, three years ago based on where our prospect pool is." —Adams

Maybe I am nitpicking, but a “little bit more physicality and a little bit more grit”?   😂😂😂

How about replacing “little bit” with “ A LOT”.  

Statements like this make me believe they will sign maybe one grit guy for the bottom 6, and then run it back with the same crap or promote from Rochester. 

Prove me wrong KA. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This does not fill me with hope.

EDIT: After listening to this, hearing him actually speak these words instead of reading them have sapped even more hope from me. He's full of sh!t. Spending has been an issue! They want to win with what they have and I believe have no intention of spending the little extra it would take to win now. We're FKD!

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Nope for a multitude of reasons...the main reason is that he isn't waiving his NMC to come to Buffalo .... lets move on with other ideas

I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out him waving to come to Buffalo for a year.  
Is it likely? No, but it isn’t completely out of the question. 
Buffalo is one of the few teams that has the need and the ability to take on his full cap hit
It’s close to Toronto. 
His Uncle has strong ties here and Okposo is one of His Best Friends and is a huge supporter of the Sabres 

The Sabres are ready to take the next step. 

Unlikely it happens, but there is a chance 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree completely with Adam’s current narrative. The problem has been coaching and leadership. The talent is now there. Yes we need some vet depth but we don’t need no key talent piece.

I thought this was obvious two years ago and am mad he took this long to fire Granato, but I believe he has the right assessment on things. 

I see I’m a minority here 

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I agree completely with Adam’s current narrative. The problem has been coaching and leadership. The talent is now there. Yes we need some vet depth but we don’t need no key talent piece.

I thought this was obvious two years ago and am mad he took this long to fire Granato, but I believe he has the right assessment on things. 

I completely and absolutely disagree with this. What we have now is not enough, not even close. My fear is that KA agrees with you and thinks that this team is just going to magically get better without doing something.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Disagree Office Space GIF by MOODMAN

• Like (+1) 1

Talent is loaded word.

If you define talent as the ability to skate, shoot and stickhandle, I think we’ve got a pretty talented collection of players.

If you define talent as “good at playing hockey” there’s work to be done.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I completely and absolutely disagree with this. What we have now is not enough, not even close. My fear is that KA agrees with you and thinks that this team is just going to magically get better without doing something.

But players frequently do “magically” get better. I mean it happens every single year.

(Just not in Buffalo, it seems. 😜)

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

But players frequently do “magically” get better. I mean it happens every single year.

(Just not in Buffalo, it seems. 😜)

Hope is not a strategy.

• Like (+1) 1