Ovechkin pursuit of Gretzky career goal record

gilbert11

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

How long until Matthews breaks Ovi’s Record? 

February 6th, 2037. As a member of... the San Jose Sharks. On home ice, hosting... Houston.

Nah. With the Leafs, in Buffalo. To the adulation of many, many Leafs fans on the "10th Annual Leafs Night".

I got into hockey in the mid-90s as a young kid in Buffalo, so I didn’t see Gretzky in his prime. I’ve seen Ovechkin’s whole career, and I’m cheering for the dude. He’s a force of nature.

This is neither here nor there, as far as this thread goes, but…

During my time as a hockey fan, at live games, the person I was the most terrified of whenever they had the puck was always…

…Jagr

37 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

I got into hockey in the mid-90s as a young kid in Buffalo, so I didn’t see Gretzky in his prime. I’ve seen Ovechkin’s whole career, and I’m cheering for the dude. He’s a force of nature.

This is neither here nor there, as far as this thread goes, but…

During my time as a hockey fan, at live games, the person I was the most terrified of whenever they had the puck was always…

…Jagr

I saw Gretzky as a kid..and Jagr, and Ovi, Lindros (for his short prime) and McDavid and Matthews.   For me, no one was more terrifying, more unstoppable than Mario Lemieux in his prime.

In my hockey lifetime, 2 guys were head and shoulders above that entire list. Lemieux and Hasek.  When they were on, the closest things to a literal hockey interpretation of an irresistible force and an immovable object.

Back to the original point though..when you take into consideration pure observable talent, longevity, production at the peak of their career....I believe Ovi is the best pure goal scorer I have ever seen.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

On 4/3/2024 at 9:22 AM, DarthEbriate said:

I hope Ovechkin gets the record for several reasons: 1) It's always fun to watch sports records fall, it shows progress and advancement (and drugs!); 2) it'll upset people, too, which is also fun; and 3) Gretzky has more assists than anyone else has career points. His ego and other records will be fine.*

*Unless there are massive NFL-style-offense-only rule changes.

Funny and true!! 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

I never base raw numbers on who is the greatest in any sport.  There is only one Gretzky. Watching him in his prime left little doubt on who is the greatest ever. 

Everyone would agree with you..,But this isn’t about the greatest player. It’s about goal scoring.  And Ovie is an objectively better goal scorer. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Everyone would agree with you..,But this isn’t about the greatest player. It’s about goal scoring.  And Ovie is an objectively better goal scorer. 

Alex O is 8th all-time in goals per game. Bossy and Lemieux are 1-2. Austin Matthews is 5th. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Alex O is 8th all-time in goals per game. Bossy and Lemieux are 1-2. Austin Matthews is 5th. 

Adjusted for age, eras, longevity and games missed, Ovie is still the best. It sucks that Bossy & Mario didn’t have longer careers. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/6/2024 at 3:43 PM, Porous Five Hole said:

Adjusted for age, eras, longevity and games missed, Ovie is still the best. It sucks that Bossy & Mario didn’t have longer careers. 

I couldn't even imagine Mario in today's NHL.  I think he's be destroying this league. He was able to do so much in the the clutching and grabbing era. I'd love to see him in this era when he could skate more freely.