Where has this Alex Tuch been?

inkman

Why should he? The franchise isn't committed to winning. Buffalo is where you go to cash checks before retirement or to spend some easy time before moving on. Or to polish your game for an NHL career in greener pastures. It says something about Alex's character, but I don't blame him one bit. Why risk it? Why bother?

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Everyone knows it's not the players, look no further than the Head Coach. Send the head coach back down where he belongs. Until this team gets a real HC I cannot question anything these players are doing or being told to do.

• Like (+1) 2

Bernier syndrome but with vibes. An Adams mouthpiece 

Pretty good player, some laughable player comps in wake of that big trade, but nonetheless capable if properly slotted. But not captain material imo

i lost my willingness to say they had the ability to buck the odds and make the playoffs when he gave that excuse filled interview. It was dead then 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • dislike 1

Tuch is a good offensive player.  While it was a career year, it can't be ignored that he had 36 goals and 43 assists, for 79 points in 74 games last season.  He was also +14.  Just because he had 1 collision behind the next in Vegas and it was captured in a video on YouTube doesn't mean he played a heavy, physical game in Vegas.  I didn't follow him at time, so I really don't know.  

That said, he's a bigger guy and doesn't always use his size to his advantage.  Part of that may be injuries.  Part of it may be the style of play that the Sabres employ.  Would Tuch finish his checks if that's the style of play the whole team employed?  Would he stand in front of the net if he was asked to do so by the coaches?  I think he would.

I've said this elsewhere and I will say it here again.  The Sabres have a lot of good players and are not that far off.  It may be time to move on to a new coach.  I've supported continuity with Granato in the past (even recently), but the team's performance in the last week has started to change my feelings on the topic.  I don't think Tuch is ultimately part of the problem.  With the right coaching/system, he could definitely be part of the solution.  Both he and Granato have been a big part of the Sabres going from last overall to the middle of the pack, but I believe Tuch may be a part of taking the team to the next level, while Granato may not.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, inkman said:

I know there have been rumblings about how the Sabres are coached not to hit.  I know it’s only one hit but I haven’t seen Alex do anything like this in Buffalo.  

Good point but I don't think it's coached not to hit. What I think it is, is they do not feel their team mates have their back if they do hit and get challenged by the other team. Clifton leads in hits but he's hitting way less and a lot softer than he did in Boston. He played big and brave there. The team as a whole doesn't have enough toughness on it, no real toughness, no Foligno types even. Nobody to get your back if it gets tough so they back off and don't initiate much. 

I was watching Philly lose to Montreal tonight and although they are behind us in their rebuild (slightly) Montreal is so much tougher (and so is Philly although that's more obvious). As a result players on those rosters play bigger and their versions of Tuch do hit like that. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, #freejame said:

Alex Tuch went from being asked to be a role player/energy guy to being asked to be a play driver and offensive leader. I think that has impacted his mental game and hurt his on-ice performance. 

I don’t get all the Tuch complaints.  Last year was a career year for him. This year, with all the trouble this team has scoring,  he is on track for his second best scoring season.  

He has played through several injuries, he has become an excellent penalty killer, he still plays a physical game.  

Tuch is the least of our problems. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

21 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

These players are just happy to get Paid and be with their friends good old country club atmosphere.

Adams Created this 

Adams? This culture was here way before Adams, I distinctly remember Derek Roy and Jason Pominville and their “how’s my hair” brand of hockey, way before Ruff and Regier were fired.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Adams? This culture was here way before Adams, I distinctly remember Derek Roy and Jason Pominville and their “how’s my hair” brand of hockey, way before Ruff and Regier were fired.

No lol those teams actually cared and made the playoffs let's not compare  the ruff ,regier teams to this crap 

39 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No lol those teams actually cared and made the playoffs let's not compare  the ruff ,regier teams to this crap 

They made the playoffs once, after black sunday.

The dreaded “Core” of Roy, Stafford, Pominville, Myers, Ennis, etc. were equally as insufferable to watch, and were the very reason “the tank” became a strategy.

Believe me, it was here before Pegula, as much as I dislike the guy.

2 minutes ago, Kristian said:

The dreaded “Core” of Roy, Stafford, Pominville, Myers, Ennis, etc. were equally as insufferable to watch, and were the very reason “the tank” became a strategy.

They made the playoffs back-back.

Are you really blaming ruff, regier when both had a owner that wouldn't let them get any good players or spend money to get better and let the star players walk out the door.

7 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Yup, when they lost Drury, Briere and to a somewhat lesser extent, Dumont and Grier, they lost a lot of good old fashioned grit.  But they lost these players because Golisano would not pay, not because Ruff and Regier were bad.  

The core of homegrown Sabres that followed could not keep the team going forward.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Yup, when they lost Drury, Briere and to a somewhat lesser extent, Dumont and Grier, they lost a lot of good old fashioned grit.  

The core of homegrown Sabres that followed could not keep the team going forward.  

Let's not forget jay McKee they lost a whole Leadership core 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

They made the playoffs back-back.

Are you really blaming ruff, regier when both had a owner that wouldn't let them get any good players or spend money to get better and let the star players walk out the door.

You’re right, they lost to Boston and Philly, my bad.

Ruff, no. Regier? You’re damn straight I do, he was the idiot behind the whole tank strategy.

7 minutes ago, Kristian said:

You’re right, they lost to Boston and Philly, my bad.

Ruff, no. Regier? You’re damn straight I do, he was the idiot behind the whole tank strategy.

He wasn't the one though he said there would be "suffering" he Set up the franchise for success with his trades 

Tim Murray is the one that Started the destruction of the franchise 

Edited by Buffalonill

On 3/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, Buffalonill said:

These players are just happy to get Paid and be with their friends good old country club atmosphere.

Adams Created this 

well, to be fair to adams - i believe the Pegula's created this atmosphere a decade go - 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He wasn't the one though he said there would be "suffering" he Set up the franchise for success with his trades 

Tim Murray is the one that Started the destruction of the franchise 

Tim Murray, while clueless, inherited a mess. 

Regiers succesful trades were ancient history by the time he was fired, and pretty much ended with getting Briere for Gratton, and Drury for Warrener. Fact is, he had been behind the curve in terms of building a succesful team for years.

Steve Bernier, Brad Boyes, Cody Hodgson etc. weren’t exactly steals.

His free agent signings backfired as well. Christian Erhoff, and Robyn Regher anyone?

Edited by Kristian
  • Like (+1) 2