Will Buffalo be a good place to see the total eclipse of the sun?

PASabreFan

10 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Hope you are already there. The roads from here are going to be awful.

I am an eclipse veteran. We are staying with a friend from TBD in Salem New York. it’s a 2 hour drive tomorrow.  We will beat the traffic and we know a great place to go and hang out for the day. It’s what we did in South Carolina back in 2017.

Meanwhile, the good people of Buffalo hospitality industry are canceling hotel contracts made two years ago to resell those rooms at 3x+ the rate. 

And the roads are perfectly clear right now. Getting there isn’t a problem. Leaving is the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I like to think back, before science, before we know what we know now. Can you imagine the anxiety and chaos that would happen if there was an earthquake, and then three days later the sun was blackened out?

I’m sure there are people, still, that believe the gods are pissed. I’m not sure that I don’t even believe that.

Some of them are serving in Congress currently and have commented on it already.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

I am an eclipse veteran. We are staying with a friend from TBD in Salem New York. it’s a 2 hour drive tomorrow.  We will beat the traffic and we know a great place to go and hang out for the day. It’s what we did in South Carolina back in 2017.

Meanwhile, the good people of Buffalo hospitality industry are canceling hotel contracts made two years ago to resell those rooms at 3x+ the rate. 

And the roads are perfectly clear right now. Getting there isn’t a problem. Leaving is the issue.

Starting in 1997, the guitar player in my band has not missed an eclipse on the entire planet. He’s in Cabo right now and is getting on a ship to go hundreds of miles out to sea to see it. He goes with a big group and one time the chartered two planes, left from Argentina and flew over the southern ocean along with it to extend their viewing. Pretty cool,… if a little kooky.

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Starting in 1997, the guitar player in my band has not missed an eclipse on the entire planet. He’s in Cabo right now and is getting on a ship to go hundreds of miles out to sea to see it. He goes with a big group and one time the chartered two planes, left from Argentina and flew over the southern ocean along with it to extend their viewing. Pretty cool,… if a little kooky.

While not dedicated to see every one, back in 2017 I suggested to my daughter that we should visit places around the world to see them when they occur. So I am on board.

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Hit up Zoeys double hex just on the other side of the border in Vermont. My friend lives in Salem and that place never disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Not a cloud in the sky yesterday and today, but we will wake up cloudy skies tomorrow and it looks like they will remain all day. God farts on Buffalo once again. 😂

Yup. Just watched a report on cloud cover % for tomorrow. Niagara falls at 85% and here in Rochester, 90% clouds. The worst percentage in the path. Thank you very much *****!!!

8 hours ago, K-9 said:

Not a cloud in the sky yesterday and today, but we will wake up cloudy skies tomorrow and it looks like they will remain all day. God farts on Buffalo once again. 😂

The Hockey Gods were not to be outdone, what with PK sticking a fork in the Sabres.

It was a beautiful sunrise. Partially cloudy skies outside of Delaware Park. I’ll be pulling our wagon and setting up our tent in a few hours. Best of luck to everyone! Don’t stress anything too much. 

Sun is shining here in Halifax.  

We will be 94.6% sun coverage at 4:38 PM Halifax time.

I am not chasing this thing nor am I going to be observing.  I am too busy with work to travel or prepare to observe it.  It's great for all who are travelling and or observing it.  Be careful and safe in doing so.

I plan to take a nap in a dark room to catch up on some very needed rest.

Maybe I'll catch the next one.

We are currently at the University of Vermont in Burlington Vermont. Just finished breakfast. However, the forecast looks like we’re on the edge of clouds. Given how far we’ve come, I think we’re gonna drive another 90 minutes to Newport, Vermont to maximize our chances.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SDS said:

We are currently at the University of Vermont in Burlington Vermont. Just finished breakfast. However, the forecast looks like we’re on the edge of clouds. Given how far we’ve come, I think we’re gonna drive another 90 minutes to Newport, Vermont to maximize our chances.

Got this resource?

Don Paul mentioned it in the News.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Clouds seem to be moving to the east a little faster than thought. Maybe some miracle chance there will be peaks of sun in five hours?

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Got this resource?

Don Paul mentioned it in the News.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/sector_band.php?sat=G16&sector=ne&band=GEOCOLOR&length=12

Clouds seem to be moving to the east a little faster than thought. Maybe some miracle chance there will be peaks of sun in five hours?

Those faster moving clouds are why we decided to abandon Burlington. We’re doing our best to outrun them. Lol

24 hours ago the forecast was perfectly clear for 90 miles in any direction.

NWS Buffalo really impressing. Clouds will move in this afternoon? Look at the imagery above. Like the ending... You do the work, folks.

The cloud forecast for Western NY is tricky, as mid to low clouds will move into the area this afternoon. There still could be some breaks in these, but these localized breaks will be fairly sparse and difficult to forecast since they will vary from location to location. Looking at upstream satellite imagery, there is some reason for optimism for Western NY since skies are clearing a bit faster from the west than most model guidance shows. It`ll take a little bit of luck to get this clearing into Western NY in time for the eclipse, but for areas from Buffalo west, the visible satellite imagery is the best tool to monitor.