Sabres and Bills hire new COO

Flashsabre

I took a quick buzz through the Buffalo News article on the hiring.

The news struck me as encouraging - perhaps very encouraging.

The guy's got substantial experience in pro sports management. He's plugged in on the NFL ownership level. He's coming to the Bills from the Giants, which is a well-regarded NFL franchise.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So russ brandon 2.0 ? Great 

It is strange to have one COO for both orgs AND have Terry sit a top both of them. In my non-billionaire brain it seems to make sense to have a hockey COO and a football COO role into the owner. 

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

They are One Buffalo again 😁

1 minute ago, Mango said:

It is strange to have one COO for both orgs AND have Terry sit a top both of them. In my non-billionaire brain it seems to make sense to have a hockey COO and a football COO role into the owner. 

This is a good point, btw. PSE was dissolved, yeah? So who employs this guy? The Bills? The Sabres? Both?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The guy's got substantial experience in pro sports management. He's plugged in on the NFL ownership level. He's coming to the Bills from the Giants, which is a well-regarded NFL franchise.

I honestly don't know much about the guy. Or the role. I am just an idiot with a keyboard on a message board. 

But what we do know is that Michael Jordan is notorious for surrounding himself with "yes men". So much so he axed his long time friendship with Charles Barkley for pointing it out.

He will fit right in with the Sabres. 

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

I honestly don't know much about the guy. Or the role. I am just an idiot with a keyboard on a message board. 

But what we do know is that Michael Jordan is notorious for surrounding himself with "yes men". So much so he axed his long time friendship with Charles Barkley for pointing it out.

Calm Down Chill Out GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mango said:

Wow, that's some fancy detective work, Sherlock.

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I thought that train between Buffalo and the Giants only was only one way to NJ. 

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wow, that's some fancy detective work, Sherlock.

He already has Terry convinced. 

"His work in helping turn around the Charlotte Hornets franchise in the NBA was remarkable. He is a proven leader with tremendous skills and experience in the sports business landscape. With the upcoming changes on the way in both team's venues, we are happy to have Pete to help lead our teams."

The Hornets have been terrible for the entirety of Jordans ownership. I wonder if Terry thinks that nobody else has google except for him? 

I think he is largely being brought in to manage the PSL's for the new stadium and then occasionally poke the Sabres to see if he can get it to do stuff. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Mango said:

He already has Terry convinced. 

The Hornets have been terrible for the entirety of Jordans ownership. I wonder if Terry thinks that nobody else has google except for him? 

I think he is largely being brought in to manage the PSL's for the new stadium and then occasionally poke the Sabres to see if he can get it to do stuff. 

Have the Hornets been terrible on the business side?  This guy has nothing to do with on the court results or now on the field and on the ice results. He is strictly business side.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Have the Hornets been terrible on the business side?  This guy has nothing to do with on the court results or now on the field and on the ice results. He is strictly business side.

For most fanbases nobody has much of any idea. Good teams get away with a lot. Bad teams get away with a little.

Jordan bought a struggling Bobcats/Hornets franchise for like $300M. They were only like a 4 year old expansion team at that point. He sold the team for $3B like 15 years later. That is a huge increase in value, but the league also nearly tripled their revenues in that time as well. 

Jordan was largely considered a bad and meddling owner. But he is North Carolina's golden child and maybe the most marketable person in NBA history, if not the history of the big 4 sports in the US. Without knowing all the specifics in the background Michael Jordan was just about the only person on the planet to get NC to buy back into the NBA. Jordan is to NC Basketball what Gretzky is to Hockey in Canada. 

There are some parallels between some of the growth and criticisms between the Pegula lead Sabres and Jordan lead Hornets. Both have been known for meddling, surrounding themselves with 'yes men', and puzzling coaching/FO hires, but also have teams that have exponentially increased in value. So yes, the team is not failing fiscally, but difficult to pinpoint how much of that is from Jordan and the growth of the league as opposed to the COO. Having Michael Jordan own a team in his home state changes things drastically as well. Worth noting his racing team is also located outside of Charlotte and Charlotte is the Nascar hall of fame. 

I said it up thread I think that he is largely being brought in to manage and structure the PSL's for the new stadium and poke the Sabres marketing dept to see if they can get the fans to do stuff. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

People keep bringing this up. I don't think he was involved directly with the basketball operations. He's in charge of the business end of the teams.

• Thanks (+1) 1