(OT) Common Sabrespace Typos and Poor Grammar That Drive You Mad

shrader

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

"You" used to be the same way; it was the second-person version of "we."  The singular was "thou", the plural was "you." 

Even more specifically, it was only the plural objective case (back when we used to decline more pronouns than I/me and we/us). The subjective form was 'ye' for plural, 'thee' for singular.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah this ***** started in the mid nineties with every white person trying to sound like Eminem.  So instead of enunciating the “t” in words like kitten, they use lazy English and say “kih’ en”.  Anytime I hear anyone talk like that, unless they are from Britain, I lose every ounce of respect for that person.  

The premise of a genius pill popping MD is a little off putting reflecting on the show.  I watched it in a previous life.  

I get what you are referring to. The link Doohickie posted early was more referring to the tendency to make more of a soft "d" sound to replace the "t" versus the more pronounced and purposeful omittance of the sound altogether, such as "buh-uh" or "kih-in". When I really paid attention to how I was saying it, I did notice that my tongue was not really hitting the back of my teeth, but the "d" sound was coming more from my tongue hitting the roof of my mouth? Hard to explain, lol.

But, I in no way fancy myself as any type of "hip" or "cool" person trying to emulate that part of culture. I think, as the article says, it is a more expedient way for a human mouth to make the sound.

11 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Even more specifically, it was only the plural objective case (back when we used to decline more pronouns than I/me and we/us). The subjective form was 'ye' for plural, 'thee' for singular.

Yeah, I didn't want to overcomplicate the example.

9 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I don't particularly enjoy 'whom' being misused. 'Who' is perfectly acceptable these days in all but the most formal of occasions.

To whom are you addressing that comment?

😉

13 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I get what you are referring to. The link Doohickie posted early was more referring to the tendency to make more of a soft "d" sound to replace the "t" versus the more pronounced and purposeful omittance of the sound altogether, such as "buh-uh" or "kih-in". When I really paid attention to how I was saying it, I did notice that my tongue was not really hitting the back of my teeth, but the "d" sound was coming more from my tongue hitting the roof of my mouth? Hard to explain, lol.

But, I in no way fancy myself as any type of "hip" or "cool" person trying to emulate that part of culture. I think, as the article says, it is a more expedient way for a human mouth to make the sound.

The singer Lily Allen was educated at an upper class school but she sings in a mock cockney (mockney) accent.  So she sings like that- "dih-int" for didn't, that kind of thing.  I thought it refreshing that she didn't adopt the standard "pop music" accent and sang in her own accent, then I found out it's not even her accent.  But she's sold a lot of music singing that way so... more power to her, I guess.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My father was an immigrant from Italy. He once told me and my two brothers: the both of you three come here. 

He also once told me to chop the ice before it freezes. 

I'm saying this with fondness and not mockingly for a kind and wonderful father. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I will say 'thank you' and pretend that I will remember that in the future!

Yeah, just substitute he or she (or him or her) and whichever one sounds better, go with that- him  = whom in terms of usage.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

My father was an immigrant from Italy. He once told me and my two brothers: the both of you three come here. 

He also once told me to chop the ice before it freezes. 

I'm saying this with fondness and not mockingly for a kind and wonderful father. 

My next door neighbor in Michigan was an Italian Nona (Grandma).  She would watch our boys sometimes.  She always messed up pronoun genders:  "Your son, she's such a nice boy."

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/19/2024 at 3:25 PM, Doohickie said:

But when people say either one, the intent is the same, regardless of the semantics.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:30 PM, Doohickie said:

Haters Gonna Hate GIF

Um. Isn't that the point of this thread? Everything mentioned so far, we all know what they mean. The point is that they bother us.

Edited by SwampD
  • Agree 1

On 3/19/2024 at 4:39 PM, JujuFish said:

I don't particularly enjoy 'whom' being misused. 'Who' is perfectly acceptable these days in all but the most formal of occasions.

This reminds me of something I purposely do wrong.  When someone asks me how I'm doing, I say "I'm good" because I think saying "I'm well" sounds snobbish.

An anecdote about learning languages and colloquialisms.  My (first) wife was Japanese, and one day she asked me what does "waddaya" mean? It took me a few minutes to realize it was the colloquial version of "what do you".   Kind of like innit.  We certainly can make it rough on those learning English.

On 3/19/2024 at 3:25 PM, Doohickie said:

But when people say either one, the intent is the same, regardless of the semantics.

And another thing. I really hate when people use semantics to complain about semantics. Especially when they are wrong about those semantics.

Edited by SwampD
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PickaPecaPickles said:

This reminds me of something I purposely do wrong.  When someone asks me how I'm doing, I say "I'm good" because I think saying "I'm well" sounds snobbish.

An anecdote about learning languages and colloquialisms.  My (first) wife was Japanese, and one day she asked me what does "waddaya" mean? It took me a few minutes to realize it was the colloquial version of "what do you".   Kind of like innit.  We certainly can make it rough on those learning English.

I am good is not wrong. 

14 hours ago, SwampD said:

Um. Isn't that the point of this thread? Everything mentioned so far, we all know what they mean. The point is that they bother us.

And that's been my point.... people need to get over it.