Will KA give up on the fallacy of veterans that "know how to win"?!

JoeSchmoe

23 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Learning how to play defense are what coaches are for. Not washed up veterans that can't play in the NHL anymore. 

Did you expect the players to say he sucked and we're better with him gone? 

We win more games with RJ vs EJ.

Bryson in the line up has a better win percentage this year than Dahlin so I guess Dahlin has to go. 

We need vets with toughness now for 3rd and 4th line and 5th or 6th D. Evident after being pushed around yesterday. Greenway needed to fight someone yesterday and play much meaner. Where was tuch? He is soft. Need some toughness 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

We need vets with toughness now for 3rd and 4th line and 5th or 6th D. Evident after being pushed around yesterday. Greenway needed to fight someone yesterday and play much meaner. Where was tuch? He is soft. Need some toughness 

Watched Benson relentlessly cross-checked in the back at the net by one Red Wing after the play stopped…

Not one Sabre responded.

I’ve been thinking about this question and ultimately it’s about bringing in the right vets.

Where would the 05-07 teams be without Teppo, Grier, Lydman and Drury?  

They still have to have tread on the tire.  They must fill an important role on the ice and don’t necessarily have to be leaders off the ice. 

Guys like Drury that change the culture of an organization are few and far between. 

The Sabres need better center play, better physical play, better D zone coverage, better coaching and better roster construction. Can a few vets fix all that?

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2024 at 11:55 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

The team hasn't looked back since ditching EJ and KO. Hopefully Adams has learned a lesson for next year's free agency period.

Every team has veterans and cup winners, but only one can win.

The team with the best combination of talent and heart wins. No veteran can teach that.

Explain yesterday’s debacle if the only problem with this team was the “vets” they got rid of. 

14 minutes ago, Sidc3000 said:

Explain yesterday’s debacle if the only problem with this team was the “vets” they got rid of. 

Explanation:

No team will ever go 82-0. Yesterday they 💩 the bed like even the best teams do once in a while. Unfortunately, we're so far back thanks to our 💩 vets that we can't afford to 💩 the bed this late in the season. 

drunk trailer park boys GIF

38 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Explanation:

No team will ever go 82-0. Yesterday they 💩 the bed like even the best teams do once in a while. Unfortunately, we're so far back thanks to our 💩 vets that we can't afford to 💩 the bed this late in the season. 

Not all teams have Decembers that practically deep-six their playoff hopes.  This game was closer to the pre-January norm than many want to think.

They did not respond to Detroit's pressure and that's been an ongoing issue all season: 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Explanation:

😂. That wasn’t just a bad game, they basically gave up for two periods. It wasn’t even close. 

Amazing that two players kept this team back. if Okposo was soooooo toxic to this team, please explain last season? You know when many of these players played well beyond their expectations? 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Explanation:

No team will ever go 82-0. Yesterday they 💩 the bed like even the best teams do once in a while. Unfortunately, we're so far back thanks to our 💩 coaches that we can't afford to 💩 the bed this late in the season. 

fixed.gif

Edited by Buffalonill

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

😂. That wasn’t just a bad game, they basically gave up for two periods. It wasn’t even close. 

Amazing that two players kept this team back. if Okposo was soooooo toxic to this team, please explain last season? You know when many of these players played well beyond their expectations? 

I'm more focused on Eric Johnson. He was the guy they brought in to show how to win since he was a bit player when the Avalanche won. It was a terrible idea. He was a net negative player on the Avalanche, when he had a Stanley Cup Champion forward group in front of him, and he was a net negative player here.

Screenshot_20240317-172819.thumb.png.c134d2161e8b8e85f23236438223aadf.png

Edited by JoeSchmoe
Forgot to change chart to 5 on 5.

On 3/14/2024 at 11:55 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

The team hasn't looked back since ditching EJ and KO. Hopefully Adams has learned a lesson for next year's free agency period.

The team with the best combination of talent and heart wins. No veteran can teach that.

If you're trying to discount the value of experience, confidence, and leadership, I totally disagree with you.

No need to make sweeping generalizations about life; its never simple, black and white stuff.

In the specific case of Okposo, he has been shot for a number of years now and would have been gone a long time ago if not for financial complications.

In the case of Johnson, he was just old and out of gas.  Couldn't do it anymore.  Not more complex than that.

I will never forget Craig Rivet's last season with the Sabres.  Somewhere right in the middle of the season, he went from a great but declining, long time, solid D-man who wore the C in Montreal for many years to a guy who literally could NOT keep up the pace of play.

He aged out of the game in the matter of a few weeks.  He was gone after that season.

• 3 weeks later...

If veterans are not needed to win, explain Dallas who are basically the best team in the league. They have a total of 16 players north of 25, eleven are 30+. 

Yeah let’s keep icing 20 year olds because you don’t need Vets to win or wait at least another 2-3 more years before our young players get more experience. I think the Sabres should hold out making the playoffs for a few more years anyway. Let’s hold out for a nice whole number like 15. 

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Edited by Sidc3000

On 3/15/2024 at 12:23 PM, Buffalonill said:

The problem is adam's goes after people when they're on the last leg

Those are the kinds of moves you make when you're stanley cup contender And keep them for depth

Adams has zero clue how to build a playoff team

The overall makeup of our team is wrong; we have too many players that look exactly like one another in profile.

The good news is we DO have a lot of good pieces, and it should be possible to make the right supporting cast moves to improve the team overall. 

Is the current administration going to do that?  NO.  Will they be fired?  We'll find out in a few days.  I predict they will NOT.

I will be happy to be wrong.  

• Agree 1

On 3/17/2024 at 11:44 AM, Believer said:

Watched Benson relentlessly cross-checked in the back at the net by one Red Wing after the play stopped…

Not one Sabre responded.

That's not their thing.  They're skill guys mostly.  The skill guys didn't do that stuff back in the '80s or '90s either. It was always the other guys who took care of that sort of thing.  Our problem is "those other guys" don't exist on our current roster.

What makes me laugh is the idea that Jordan Greenway was supposed to improve that situation.

He is a GIANT out there and looks like a naturally very solid/strong guy.  Problem is he plays like he's 5'7"  and 160 lbs.

If he had the feistiness of Krebs, he'd be a monster.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

If veterans are not needed to win, explain Dallas who are basically the best team in the league. They have a total of 16 players north of 25, eleven are 30+. 

Yeah let’s keep icing 20 year olds because you don’t need Vets to win or wait at least another 2-3 more years before our young players get more experience. I think the Sabres should hold out making the playoffs for a few more years anyway. Let’s hold out for a nice whole number like 15. 

Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

The team with the best hockey players wins regardless of age. Dallas has a lot of good hockey players.

At the same time it's hard to be the best team if all your guys young and still learning. 

On 3/14/2024 at 8:55 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

You lost me the first sentence. The team did bad the entire season with and without them. They just did slightly less bad after those two left.

2 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

That's not their thing.  They're skill guys mostly.  The skill guys didn't do that stuff back in the '80s or '90s either. It was always the other guys who took care of that sort of thing.  Our problem is "those other guys" don't exist on our current roster.

What makes me laugh is the idea that Jordan Greenway was supposed to improve that situation.

He is a GIANT out there and looks like a naturally very solid/strong guy.  Problem is he plays like he's 5'7"  and 160 lbs.

If he had the feistiness of Krebs, he'd be a monster.  

Greenway and Cozens I am thinking the same way about today.

I wasn't happy with their play most of the year. Then in January and February, the started to look a LOT better.  I took that as them 'turning the corner' in their play.  But recently, they have regressed to their production level of the first half of the season. 

I took them having a 10-15 game stretch of good/productive play and projected it forward thining that is who they were.  My mistake. Bad players or players having bad seasons, even they have good stretches in those seasons. I mistook a handful of games for them actually playing well long term.

It's not a fallacy, he just didn't bring them in. Bringing in a guy who is done and just looking to pad his retirement funds isn't bringing in veterans who know how to win. 

You want guys in their late 20s or EARLY 30s who still have gas in the tank and want to lead a team to another championship. Not old guys who are finished. 

Y’all are nuts re: Greenway.  He gave us the exact game he was brought in to give.  He’s not an enforcer.  He’s a big defensive forward that can put a few points on the board.

Cozens…… yeah, he had a disappointing season.

• Like (+1) 2