GDT / Islanders @ Sabres, Thurs 3/14, 7pm MSG, ESPN+ & WGR Radio

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

You may be right, but I think it was DG's call.

I thought that too, but when it comes down to it, Adams needs to be driving that bus. A small part of me even thought TP coulda been calling for Levi to play. 

Edited by Claude Balls

17 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I honestly believe this team would already be in the playoffs if UPL was named the #1 goalie back in October. Thanks Adams.

I really can't believe how well UPL has played.  I'm stunned. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Indabuff said:

I really can't believe how well UPL has played.  I'm stunned. 

You ask any goalie and they will tell you, the more regular they play, the better they play. Most of these guys wanna start 82 games. They don't like musical goalie crap.

• Like (+1) 1

Some quick thoughts on this game. I thought that Greenway played really well in the first period, also played solidly throughout the game. He's a big horse who plays big. He can't be moved. He's also a very smart player who although isn't the fastest player on the ice, he does have good anticipation and is positionally sound. Great value pickup. 

The Sabres were by far the faster and quicker team. We utilized those advantages. \

This was a game where it is difficult to single out any one player because collectively everyone played well. Both the defensive pairs and the forwards played a responsible defensive game without few lapses. No Sabre player in this game could be considered a liability. All our pairings played well and all our line were good. 

Benson is getting better and better. 

Cozens is playing well. It seems that he is out of his funk. 

So far the lines that DG has put together has worked. Skinner seems to play with a little more determination with his new line.

UPL is playing to a high standard, his now usual standard. He is playing with calmness and is seeing the puck. Credit has to also go to the defensive pairs who are playing well in front of him and quickly getting the puck out of their zone. 

I liked Clifton in this game. He adds an element of toughness and grit to this unit. Both he and Greenways additions by the GM and an element of strength and grit to this team. 

I enjoyed this game. Over the past dozen games the Sabres have gone 8-3-1. Let's keep it up. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I honestly believe this team would already be in the playoffs if UPL was named the #1 goalie back in October. Thanks Adams.

It was only the first 6 games where he didn't play. Since game 7, he has started 39 of 67 games (almost 60 percent basically being the starter since then).  And as far as those first 6 games, UPL wasn't playing well in the beginning of the year.  Even after he was installed as the De-facto starter in late October getting the majority of the work, he had a GAA of 3.13 and save percentage of .892 through the end of the calendar year.  Maybe he was battling a nagging injury, maybe the team in front of the Sabres goaltenders was playing awful Defense...but I don't think he would have made an appreciable difference in the standings if he played those first 6 games.

After he did take over, he played 7 of the next 9 games, winning 3, losing 4 and having a GAA of over 3 in those starts. He, and/or the team, wasn't playing well at the beginning of the year.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No he shouldn't. Nothing about Zach Benson's play indicates he should be in Rochester. 

Absolutely.

Even when he has not been getting points he has been driving play and good defensively 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Claude Balls said:

You ask any goalie and they will tell you, the more regular they play, the better they play. Most of these guys wanna start 82 games. They don't like musical goalie crap.

Which begs the question... say we get REALLY close to a playoff spot and UPL's on the verge of burnout, because, well... Comrie...

Does Levi get pulled up to spell him a game?

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wings lose 4-1. Pens, Lightning winning.

This is our second 3 game win streak. Beat Detroit and it will be our first 4-game streak.

Devils won too unfortunately 

Caps game is kinda key 

4 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

They especially hate the 3 headed goalie monster.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Which begs the question... say we get REALLY close to a playoff spot and UPL's on the verge of burnout, because, well... Comrie...

Does Levi get pulled up to spell him a game?

Welp, I was enjoying the win. Thanks!!! 😆 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Absolutely.

Even when he has not been getting points he has been driving play and good defensively 

As you point out, even when Benson was not getting points you can never say that he was a liability on the ice. Quite the contrary, as you noted he was driving the play and playing a very responsible defensive game. For a long time, he was one of our best players in giving us net presence on offense. Usually, young players fade as the season grinds on. He is getting better and better. 

17 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Detroit has straight out fallen apart. I credit some of that to Larkins absence, but over all it really looks like they just ran out of gas here in the final stretch.

He’s back soon so we’ll see 

• Like (+1) 1