GDT - Red Wings @ Sabres - 7:00 PM (EDT) - Tuesday, March 12, 2024 - MSG

Just now, Sabres73 said:

If Demko doesn't come back healthy, the only thing they're playing for is the President's Cup

He out 2-3 weeks. Think they’re being cautious. Better now than playoff time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

I got a text from a Canucks fan, friend, in second period. It read, and I quote, “The Sabres are amazing when there’s nothing to play for huh? ”

The odds are slim but they are playing for the playoffs. But I get it. Thats why they call it garbage time.

• Agree 1

I know this may not be what everyone else wants to hear but Girgensons is a serviceable player but has more offensive game than he gets to show when on 4th line. He hasn’t looked out of place with Tuch and Tage at all.

He can sign again for a year if he is interested, imo. But let him play with more skill. He can play.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Just now, rickshaw said:

I know this may not be what everyone else wants to hear but Girgensons is a serviceable player but has more offensive game than he gets to show when on 4th line. He hasn’t looked out of place with Tuch and Tage at all.

He can sign again for a year if he is interested, imo. But let him play with more skill. He can play.

He's relentless. Great quality to have 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Only negative is we seemed to give up a lot more in our own end, than normal. Plus, more offense than normal.

Without looking at stats, I'd think the more we score, the more we're likely to give up. Typically, the only way they have those high scoring games is to open up on the offense which, of course, has consequences on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

Well that was interesting. 

I don't know what's wrong with them, but Detroit was horrible.  (haha)

The Sabres on the other hand played like the team they are supposed to be building so I guess they are? Well idk, it's an enigma in many ways but there are some players finally going to the front of the net, they played with speed and with a quick exit, and it all seemed to click today. 

So both things can in fact be true. Detroit was bad AND Buffalo was good. 

Now the test is to see if they can bring that or will it against a team that doesn't let you do what you want. They do that, and we might actually have something real. 

Byram is good at what he does. The added D is allowing Clifton to settle into his role properly and he looks more like the Clifton from Boston last year. The only thing I did not like was they ran UPL twice, and we did absolutely nothing about it. That will not take us far if we ever do make the playoffs because you know if we did and UPL was playing well, a team like Florida would be worse than what we saw today. We need to be tougher. 

Happy days today though. 

• Like (+1) 5

Byram just adds so much to this team.

The skating, shot, brain, playmaking are all top shelf. He adds a real dynamic to the attack from the back end.

Joker is having a really understated season.

Flashes of what Benson will become.

Fun game tonight. Keep it rolling.

• Like (+1) 4

Some quick thoughts on this game: I thought Greenway had a good game. Nothing fancy about how he plays. He's a big strong dude who plays like a big guy. Our GM has received a lot of harsh commentary this season. His additions of Greenway and Clifton were solid. He needs to make a few more similar transactions this offseason. 

I thought Power played a solid game. Nothing fancy about his play but efficient and smart. 

The Sabres were out-skating Detroit. We were faster and stronger.

UPL played another good game. What's so impressive about his extended play is his consistency. Just think, it wasn't too long ago that there was a loud chorus for us to jettison him for any retread goalie on the market. The moral of the story is to show some patience when dealing with a young player

Bryson and Olofsson were also players that a lot of people were screaming to get rid of. We are at the minimum getting some utility out of them now.

I like how Benson plays. Even as a youngster his instincts are exceptional. He's also a tough little bugger. 

The HC has mixed up the lines quite a bit. So far it is working. 

Byram is good. The GM made a good and impactful deal for us. I thought he over passed on the power plays. 

What was impressive about the Sabres in this game was how hard and fast they were skating. When the play went the other way that quickly got back and swarmed. Our team defense has been superb over the last dozen games or so. 

A good win at home. Fantastic. 

• Like (+1) 7