GDT: Oilers at Sabres 3-9-2024 12:30 start MSG

spndnchz

22 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Our top line $9mill winger has 20 goals but is probably a net negative.  If benson gets to 12-15 next season and brings his dog on a bone mentality to the top line and high end hockey sense,  I'll take that over a floater like skinner. 
If you think Benson is they type of player you want on your 4th like, I can't take anything you say seriously 

Not questioning Skinners salary, nor the fact he floats.  But he finishes.  Meaning scoring 40+ goals,  more than a PPG in some years.  Last year Skinner was +15, and this year he is -1.  Benson is a -5 even though playing significant minutes with Mitts and Greenway who the two of the  best +/- players this season.  What does that say? I also hope Benson develops and earns top line minutes on the roster eventually, but sorry, I don't want an undersized 19 year old who is a .3 PPG player on my top line. The fact you cannot see Quinn or JJP on the top line over Benson make me think the same as the bolded.  This is my rationale for seeing him on the 4th - 

Quinn - Tage - TRADE (size/net front presence forward - dream scenario Brady T)

JJP - Cozens -Tuch 

Greenway - Krebs - UFA

Skinner - UFA (with age like C Stephenson) - Benson

30 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It's not his game.  We've all known that since he was drafted.  You're going to be really disappointed if you want him to become something he is not 

You’re probably right.

Power 59 GP 32 Hits   
Benson 54 GP 17 Hits  

Couple notes…

18 yr old Benson has maybe 25% fewer minutes TOI than Power.

21 yr old Power has 8” and 50 lbs. on Benson

Sabres playing a more physical heavy style as a team last few weeks… Regardless of his game style, Power could stand to step it up a bit… Help the others set the tone early in games. Just my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Thorny said:

End of an era in Pittsburgh looks like 

Pittsburgh has been shutout in 3 of their last 7 games, going 1W-6L (only win vs Columbus) and being outscored 30 to 10.

Crosby may have hit a wall due to all the miles (yes, small sample size but), in this last 2 games/2+ weeks, he has no goals in 7 games, 4 assists, and is a minus-10...and they are giving him about a minute less per game ice time.

Edited by mjd1001

Just now, mjd1001 said:

Pittsburgh has been shutout in 3 of their last 7 games, going 1W-6L (only win vs Columbus) and being outscored 30 to 10.

They are still ahead of us by points % but we could stay ahead of them now in points from here in, wouldn’t be surprised. Guentzel trade I think was a big thing for the psyche 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They are still ahead of us by points % but we could stay ahead of them now in points from here in, wouldn’t be surprised. Guentzel trade I think was a big thing for the psyche 

Yup. That was their towel. 

But they likely waited too long to make a true tank run. It’ll be hard to catch up with the bottom 7 in the standings.

When is the next “generational” center coming in the draft? 2026? Pittsburgh will get aligned for their Crosby handoff. 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Guentzel gone, the team fading, with really no one giving them any chance at advancing in the playoffs if they do make it.....

Malkin will be 37 next year, Karlson will be 34, Letang 37. All signed long term for big $$.  Does Pittsburgh start to trade them away (maybe Crosby even) and try to get maximum assets for them in the offseason? They do not have much in their system coming up and don't even have a first rounder this year...

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Thorny said:

End of an era in Pittsburgh looks like 

I’d love to know what that trade would look like. I don’t know if Crosby would want to leave, but it would be a shame to see one of the best players ever close out his career  with multiple years with no chance of winning anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Crosby may have hit a wall due to all the miles (yes, small sample size but), in this last 2 games/2+ weeks, he has no goals in 7 games, 4 assists, and is a minus-10...and they are giving him about a minute less per game ice time.

Jerry Seinfeld Lol GIF

22 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Guentzel gone, the team fading, with really no one giving them any chance at advancing in the playoffs if they do make it.....

Malkin will be 37 next year, Karlson will be 34, Letang 37. All signed long term for big $$.  Does Pittsburgh start to trade them away (maybe Crosby even) and try to get maximum assets for them in the offseason? They do not have much in their system coming up and don't even have a first rounder this year...

I think the only person dumb enough to take EK's contract already works for Pitt - lol. I guess unless a team needs to make it to the floor. 3 more years at $11.5M per? Woof. I too lazy to see what his "NMC" is (full or partial) - but I am betting any team with cap space to take him is on his list of no-no.

23 hours ago, shrader said:

I’d love to know what that trade would look like. I don’t know if Crosby would want to leave, but it would be a shame to see one of the best players ever close out his career  with multiple years with no chance of winning anything. 

Nope.  I don't care.  He's had his championships; I'm not going to feel sorry for him if he and his team fade away at the end of his career.

59 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Nope.  I don't care.  He's had his championships; I'm not going to feel sorry for him if he and his team fade away at the end of his career.

Yeah, I agree.  Fading away is the natural end to a HOF franchise player.  I’d appreciate more if more players faded that way.

Then again, its what we saw here with Perreault so it seems natural.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Yeah, I agree.  Fading away is the natural end to a HOF franchise player.  I’d appreciate more if more players faded that way.

Then again, its what we saw here with Perreault so it seems natural.

Fading away is best for franchise players who brought cups to their franchise.

I love that Perreault played his whole career in Buffalo.  On the other hand, if he could have hung on and gone to the Canadien at the trade deadline in 1986 he would have had a cup.  Sure, there was no clear indication that the Habs were going to get the cup that year, but Patrick was coming into his own as a rockie by the time the trade deadline had rolled around.