GDT: Oilers at Sabres 3-9-2024 12:30 start MSG

spndnchz

Skinner gets Olofsson treatment next year.   
Benson may not score as many but he does sooooo much more already and he's only 18.   Slot Benson next to Tage next year.   
Would think Tuch more suited for 3rd line roll than top line.

KA needs to go find another winger hoping he realizes last season was the outlier for Tuch. My guess is though he is gonna bet on Tuch becoming the player he isn't 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, lothar said:

Wow, missed the game and just read the full game thread:

Summary of periods 1-3: Boring, Sabres suck, fire everybody but the new guy

After the OT: Wow, that was a fun game

Sheesh. 

Quite frankly, it’s beyond absurd. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

are there still haters of the 21 year old Power? He's looked excellent the last little while.   Only going to get better 

Former Power hater… Not yet fan… More like a 👀

Just now, Flashsabre said:

You can get rid of anyone if you are willing to pay the price.

put him on waivers, send him to the AHL. Retain 50% of his salary to move him with a sweetener or buy him out.

I can only hope we are willing to pay that price. Unless he is playing injured, Jeff Skinner appears washed as a player. 

That said, I now expect him to score a hatty with a few apples thrown in the next game he plays.

10 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Joseph Smith ... I turned off the ESPN+ game when they said they were going to the post game show ... all the players were off the ice. I feel like I stumbled into an alternate universe ... at least they won the SO ... yikes.

That may be why I lost my ESPN+ feed. I turned it off and went to MSG-B on DirectTV to watch the post game. I had the DTV feed until the goal was overturned and then they blacked out the channel so I jumped back to ESPN+. I kept getting an error message and could only watch the shootout once I accessed ESPN+ via my phone. Aggravating nonetheless.

BTW, congrats to UPL on gifting himself his own birthday present. 🍻

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

You can get rid of anyone if you are willing to pay the price.

put him on waivers, send him to the AHL. Retain 50% of his salary to move him with a sweetener or buy him out.

Maybe. I just don’t see Adams taking on dead caps space even though the Sabres have room. Everything he’s done has been very frugal. 

Since Casey was traded for forwards have scored 1 goal 5 on 5 in 3 games.  Our D have 3 goals and we have one PP goal.  

We have no forwards who can create offense.  

I will admit I like what I've seen from Byram so far.  He plays aggressively and keeps the puck moving on the PP.  No standing around with that kid.  We could use more aggressive play like he provides.  Maybe Power will finally learn something.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

Some quick thoughts in an entertaining game: My first star for the Sabrees is UPL. It's really stunning of the metamorphic change in UPL's play. It seems that after every game as the season winds down, he solidifies himself as our #1 goalie. 

I thought that Cozens and Tuch played really well. Cozens is becoming a threat on the PK. 

I'm a Mitts fan. But the trade to acquire Byram was a good hockey trade for us. Byram is a genuine first pairing caliber defenseman. He has good offensive skills, and he can shoot. 

Bryson is one of the big surprise players for me. He is a lower pairing player who is playing solidly. His goal was our big play of the game. 

It's unlikely that the Sabres are going to make the playoffs. But from an overall roster building standpoint this front office has built a deep blueline. Compare that to where this unit was a couple years ago. And it appears that UPL has become a #1 goalie who is usually the main factor for our wins. What a change in how this team has performed i.e. our defense and goaltending are leading the play. 

If you combine the Toronto and Edmonton game, the overview takeaway for me is that the Sabres' defense limited two high-powered offensive teams. In both games, the team played a responsible two-way game with effort throughout.  We ended getting three out of four potential points. I'm not complaining about that. 

This was an entertaining game in which I thought he had a slight edge. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Since Casey was traded for forwards have scored 1 goal 5 on 5 in 3 games.  Our D have 3 goals and we have one PP goal.  

Yet we’ve gained in the playoff race 

24 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Toronto would at 50% retained I reckon.

Get it done, Adams.

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I will admit I like what I've seen from Byram so far.  He plays aggressively and keeps the puck moving on the PP.  No standing around with that kid.  We could use more aggressive play like he provides.  Maybe Power will finally learn something.

It was interesting to see Byram on the half wall on the PP. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scoring 5 goals in 3 games isn't going to help you make the playoff.  

The teams above us are very ass. The funny thing is, we play Detroit 3 times. We can essentially tie them if we win all 3. Which makes it seem doable

i suppose the rub is that if we did that, they’d unlikely to be the team still pacing for wc2

but we can ignore that for now 

Hello Teammates, I missed another game.  Sounds like we won twice. 

UPL is really playing well.  Hard to get too excited anymore but keep the wins coming.  Play to win. 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

The teams above us are very ass. The funny thing is, we play Detroit 3 times. We can essentially tie them if we win all 3. Which makes it seem doable

i suppose the rub is that if we did that, they’d unlikely to be the team still pacing for wc2

but we can ignore that for now 

We have 8 4 pt games ahead of us; 3 against Det, 2 against Wash, plus one each against TB, NJ and Philly.  Plus one game against Ott.  

That doesn't change the fact that if we can't create offense with our forwards, the favorable schedule is meaningless.

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Scoring 5 goals in 3 games isn't going to help you make the playoff.  

If they can play the solid defense as soon as the game starts we can.  Agree though KA should have been looking for the big O

15 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yet we’ve gained in the playoff race 

Fools gold.  Every team between us and the top WC team have played fewer games than the Sabres, and the Sabres are still substantially behind.

I'm hoping the pull off a miracle but I'm not expecting it.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

We have 8 4 pt games ahead of us; 3 against Det, 2 against Wash, plus one each against TB, NJ and Philly.  Plus one game against Ott.  

That doesn't change the fact that if we can't create offense with our forwards, the favorable schedule is meaningless.

We’ve been absolute derp this year and are somehow 7 back. They won’t be out of it till it’s over over 

Just now, Doohickie said:

Fools gold.  Every team between us and the top WC team have played fewer games than the Sabres, and the Sabres are still substantially behind.

I'm hoping the pull off a miracle but I'm not expecting it.

Last year’s fools gold imprinted on the GMs mind so, I’m hoping for a miracle too 

• Like (+1) 1