Lindy Ruff Fired as Devils HC

Brawndo

On 3/6/2024 at 2:11 PM, MISabresFan said:

Interestingly, DG and LR have similar winning percentages in Buffalo.

Lindy is 571-432-78 in Buffalo with a .560 P%. 
https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/ruffli01c.html

***** Ranato is 112-118-26 with a .488 P%. His best season is .555. His career year is worse than Ruff's average year. 
https://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/granado01c.html

I think there is a chance that you just made this up. 

EDIT: Aparently D-O-N-G Ranato gets censored. What a bummer. Such a great opportunity there. 

Edited by Mango

1 minute ago, Mango said:

***** Ranato is 112-118026 with a .488 P%. His best season is .555. His career year is worse than Ruff's average year. 

EDIT: Aparently D-O-N-G Ranato gets censored. What a bummer. Such a great opportunity there. 

I copyied the info from Hockeydb.  Winning percentage = Games Won divided by Games Played.  It is in the spreadsheet and can compare to Hockedb.

Why is it so hard to think DG and Lindy have the a similar wining percentage?  Dg's numberes will change alot because of the small sample size.  As a wise person told me, perception and reality are two different things.  That is why we have data.

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

***** Ranato is 112-118-26 with a .488 P%. His best season is .555. His career year is worse than Ruff's average year. 

Games played is off by 84 for LR

Not sure why the difference in the actual numbers between the two sites.  80 somthing off for games played for Ruff and 20 something for Donnie.

Just now, MISabresFan said:

I copyied the info from Hockeydb.  Winning percentage = Games Won divided by Games Played.  It is in the spreadsheet and can compare to Hockedb.

Why is it so hard to think DG and Lindy have the a similar wining percentage?  Dg's numberes will change alot because of the small sample size.  As a wise person told me, perception and reality are two different things.  That is why we have data.

Dooooooood. 

How can you look two records where one coach won more games than the lost and the other coach lost more games than they won and go "Seeeeeee they have the same win percentage". 

Lindy: 571-510 (571 wins/1081 games), W% .528
Meatballs: 112-144, (112win/256 games) W% .437

For W% you have to move OTL to L. Otherwise you have to use P%. 

I don't know what you did, but you didn't math properly....like at all. They don't have the same W% or the same P% and it isn't particularly close. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we would all be president of the team and won 7 stanley cups...

Look how much Talent he lost because of a "Budget"

2005-06 after season lost 

-JB Dumont

-Mike Grier

-Jay McKee

2006-07 after season  lost 

-Chris Drury

-Daniel Briere

-Dainius Zubrus

2007-08 after season lost  (still got the team to 41 wins ) 

Brian Campbell

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Dooooooood. 

How can you look two records where one coach won more games than the lost and the other coach lost more games than they won and go "Seeeeeee they have the same win percentage". 

Lindy: 571-510 (571 wins/1081 games), W% .528
Meatballs: 112-144, (112win/256 games) W% .437

For W% you have to move OTL to L. Otherwise you have to use P%. 

I don't know what you did, but you didn't math properly....like at all. They don't have the same W% or the same P% and it isn't particularly close. 

Ties are not considered in "winning" percentage.  It is based on WINS.  

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Look how much Talent he lost because of a "Budget"

2005-06 after season lost 

-JB Dumont

-Mike Grier

-Jay McKee

2006-07 after season  lost 

-Chris Drury

-Daniel Briere

-Dainius Zubrus

2007-08 after season lost  (still got the team to 41 wins ) 

Brian Campbell

I understand, compare those teams to the one that is on the ice now.  Which one would you choose?  

21 hours ago, LTS said:

But.. that was then.  How often do coaches (any of them) engage in that behavior today?  (not the changing of the lines.. they all do that).

Yesteryear doesn't win today.  last year everyone was all on about how great the Devils were and how they turned it around so fast... fast forward to now.

Brunette is the notable difference.

Brunette, yes. And...

They replaced Severson (age 28) and Graves (27) with Luke Hughes (20) and Simon Nemec (19). Both kids have gotten points, and L.Hughes is skating the most minutes on the team, but they're not sturdy, dependable defensemen yet. Add to that Dougie Hamilton played only 20 games before tearing a pectoral muscle.

Last year, they also got career seasons from the forwards (and lots of health). Their top 4 centers combined to miss 9 games (J. Hughes, Hischier, McLeod, Haula). This season, Hughes has already missed 15, Hischier 10, and McLeod 15.

Combined with the weaker defense, the goalies have collectively gone from .908 sv% last season to .891 sv% this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MISabresFan said:

I understand, compare those teams to the one that is on the ice now.  Which one would you choose?  

Obviously the one's back then.

This team has zero identity

11 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Go back earlier. Peca. And by not paying him, Hasek.

Yeah that too .

People might not agree, but I think hiring ruff would bring a much needed culture change Of this loser mantelity and players accepting it like its normal 

• Agree 1

I think that Lindy's best coaching job in Buffalo was getting the 2010-1 team to the playoffs.  The team has numerous long-term injuries to key players, but they rose from the depths to squeak into the playoffs and, had Pominville and Connolly not got injured, would have got to the 2nd round.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think that Lindy's best coaching job in Buffalo was getting the 2010-1 team to the playoffs.  The team has numerous long-term injuries to key players, but they rose from the depths to squeak into the playoffs and, had Pominville and Connolly not got injured, would have got to the 2nd round.

The ville leino goal yep 

46 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

Hmm...

"In sports, a winning percentage is the fraction of games or matches a team or individual has won. The statistic is commonly used in standings or rankings to compare teams or individuals. It is defined as wins divided by the total number of matches played (i.e. wins plus draws plus losses). A draw counts as a 1⁄2 win.

winning percentage=wins+0.5⋅ties / total games"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_percentage

Depending on where we get the numbers from his WP is .571, .562, or .564

Edited by ...
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ... said:

Hmm...

"In sports, a winning percentage is the fraction of games or matches a team or individual has won. The statistic is commonly used in standings or rankings to compare teams or individuals. It is defined as wins divided by the total number of matches played (i.e. wins plus draws plus losses). A draw counts as a 1⁄2 win.

winning percentage=wins+0.5⋅ties / total games"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winning_percentage

Depending on where we get the numbers from his WP is .571, .562, or .564

This same formula is in hockey-reference.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/about/glossary.html#:~:text=Winning percentage%3B calculated by adding,then dividing by games played.

Edited by ...

1 minute ago, ... said:

However, NHL Records clearly has a different formula.

https://records.nhl.com/records/coach-records/wins/coach-most-wins-career

They do strictly wins/games-coached.

5 minutes ago, ... said:

However, NHL Records clearly has a different formula.

https://records.nhl.com/records/coach-records/wins/coach-most-wins-career

They do strictly wins/games-coached.

Interesting.

Anyway, I think this is all the source of the disagreement. There is varying instruction on how to calculate the W% for NHL coaches.

Here are some comparables from the NHL list:

Bowman .581
Trotz .504
Ruff .487
Nolan .397
Granato .438

1 hour ago, MISabresFan said:

I was just typing a response to this but you beat me to it. 

I overlooked ties because it has been 20 years since there has been a tie in the NHL and I am a dummy and accidentally left them out. My bad. But it still isn't close. 

Lindy's numbers are: 
Regular Season W% All: .490
Regular Season W% (97-04 T era): .440
Regular Season P%  (97-04 T era): .508
Regular Season W% (04-13 OTL era): .538
Regular Season P% (04-13 OTL era): .594
Playoff W%: .564
Regular Season P% All: .560

Meatballs numbers are: 
Regular Season W% All: .437
Playoff W%: .000
Regular Season P% All: .488

For reference if you took last season Sabres and increased their....
 -W% by .053 (total difference) would be 3rd in the division and leap frog both Tampa, NYI and Florida.
- W% by  .101 (difference era to era) we would have the same wins as Toronto but lose the 2 seed because of OTL. 
- P% by .072 (total difference) we would be tied for the 8th seed with Florida.
- P% by  .106 (difference era to era) we would jump bother Florida and NYI

Mind you this is adjusting the best year Don Granato has ever had to Lindy Ruff's average performance. The only place that Meatballs and Lindy are similar is an era of hockey where the rules of the game (standings) were totally different. 

This is exactly why comparing W% 's between era's where 100% of games get 2 points and a winner to another era where 10-15% of games end without a winner/2 points at all. There is a reason that historically hockey coaches are not sorted by W%. 

Edited by Mango

I'd re-hire Ruff in a second to replace Granato.  He is the only coach in Sabres history who proved he could adjust his style to maximize the players he had.  No coach can succeed without good players, but some coaches, and I include Ruff in that group, can make a good group better.

Of the 3 highest peeks in Sabre history, Ruff was the coach for two of them.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd re-hire Ruff in a second to replace Granato.  He is the only coach in Sabres history who proved he could adjust his style to maximize the players he had.  No coach can succeed without good players, but some coaches, and I include Ruff in that group, can make a good group better.

Of the 3 highest peeks in Sabre history, Ruff was the coach for two of them.  

I would try and go after a coach with a better history of winning is the jist of the whole thing for me.  Neither are good enough.   Maybe one does not exist??

Ruff is a Sabre Legend who I have great affection for.  But, pretty much every comment on the Devils that I hear or read from people who cover the NHL, is that they were a disaster this year that went far deeper than just a couple of key injuries and bad goaltending.  I'm not opposed to moving on from Granato, but surely we can do better than recycling Ruff?

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

Ruff is a Sabre Legend who I have great affection for.  But, pretty much every comment on the Devils that I hear or read from people who cover the NHL, is that they were a disaster this year that went far deeper than just a couple of key injuries and bad goaltending.  I'm not opposed to moving on from Granato, but surely we can do better than recycling Ruff?

I am open to other suggestions.  However, I wonder if Terry is open to them, whereas I could see him working with Ruff.