GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Montreal Canadiens Weds 7pm, ESPN+ MSG & WGR radio

Shoot da Puck

Some quick thoughts on this game: UPL gets the first star. Without question this has been a disappointing season. But if we come out of this season and enter the next season knowing that we have a #1 goalie, then that is a meaningful consolation. I thought he was superb in this game. One goal was off the stick of Krebs where he had no chance to stop. UPL had good puck control with few rebounds off his stops. He's playing a composed game with little scramble to his game. I can't recall one instance where he was out of position. 

I thought Tage and Tuch were two of our best players. Both players were active on both sides of the ice. I thought that aside from the goalie Tage was our best player. 

Joki is being more aggressive on offense. He's shooting more with a good proportion of his shots on net. His shot on net with a Girgs tip in was a critical play. 

Greenway is not fancy or particularly fast. Although he isn't very accomplished on offense, he plays a solid defensive game. He's a big player who plays strong. 

Cozens seems to be getting better. He seems to have broken out of his funk. 

A win is a win. As a Sabre fan I can't scoff at any win.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Highest hockey IQ on the team...?

I agree with you that he is one of our smarter players. He is one of our best positioned players. That aspect of his game becomes evident on the PK. This was a good DG instigated value pickup. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Benson is close, but still learning.  Quinn is probably #1... when he's in the lineup.

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that he is one of our smarter players. He is one of our best positioned players. That aspect of his game becomes evident on the PK. This was a good DG instigated value pickup. 

If he played to his size, he’d be a monster. He reminds me of Big Mike in the Blind Side. I can picture him reading Ferdinand the Bull.

58 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The one big positive this season has been UPL. This is the guy from Sudbury in the OHL and the WJCs.

I think this is him moving forward.

I have really enjoyed watching him tend net this season. So poised and comfortable in the crease.

It was also an excellent bounce back for him from his previous game where he was fighting the puck. His teammates might not be capable of scoring to carry a winning streak, but he ensured there was no losing streak.

• Like (+1) 2

My daughter had a game out of town, so I missed it. I notice Bryson is way up on his xGF% on the game. Did the eye test match?

Small sample size, but we seem to have a pretty good record with him in the lineup. Do we keep him in once Power comes back? 😉

Edited by JoeSchmoe

35 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I notice Bryson is way up on his xGF% on the game. Did the eye test match?

I remember him making one mistake and then quickly recovering.  At this point he's a valid option at bottom pair Dman, and actually played second pair with Clifton tonight.  They were... fine.  Clague and EJ on the other hand were scary.  EJ is washed and needs help.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Pretty even game imo. Very similar to the last time we played them. Lucky they gaffed and we netted the shorty to give us the win.

It'll be interesting to see how their rebuild compares to ours next season. Right now they should not be even with us, they should be a lot worse, but they are rebuilding on a different model so it'll be interesting to see who has it more right over time. 

Greenway gives a little push back but it is disappointing we have nobody to go after Jack-eye (as they pronounce it, I am not looking up the spelling) when he roughs up Mitts repeatedly. You can't let that sort of intimidation go unchecked. But whatever. 

• Like (+1) 3

When ever the Buffalo Sabres beat a long time rival the Montreal Canadians regardless of the NHL standings it’s a great win. Young Sabres fans may not understand but beating the Boston Bruins, Montreal Canadians and Toronto Maple Leafs is important for this older Sabres fan like myself in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.