To still make the playoffs TODAY

erickompositör72

The standings are like an illusion. I just checked and we are “only” 7 behind Detroit and play them 3 times. But we have to win all 3 outright and hope all other games go their way. It’s not over but, it’s over.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

The standings are like an illusion. I just checked and we are “only” 7 behind Detroit and play them 3 times. But we have to win all 3 outright and hope all other games go their way. It’s not over but, it’s over.

We aren’t even chasing Detroit now 

Islanders are in 8th. Beating Detroit 3 time likely just solidifies the islanders 

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

We aren’t even chasing Detroit now 

Islanders are in 8th. Beating Detroit 3 time likely just solidifies the islanders 

Mutually Assured Destruction, then they can’t beat us to the playoffs at least lol.

Beat all the Eastern teams besides Florida and we’d at least have a tiny chance depending on how the standings fall

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Mutually Assured Destruction, then they can’t beat us to the playoffs at least lol.

Beat all the Eastern teams besides Florida and we’d at least have a tiny chance depending on how the standings fall

I know there’s a ton of people who feel our lost season mitigated somewhat by Detroit missing but honestly gotta say it doesn’t do much for me 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 5

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I know there’s a ton of people who feel our lost season mitigated somewhat by Detroit missing but honestly gotta say it doesn’t do much for me 

It doesn’t make the Sabres better but it does make me feel better that Yzerman’s seemingly over priced moves didn’t punch them a ticket to the postseason immediately. And it gives us another shot next year to beat them to the playoffs.

I always harp on desperately getting the loser point as opposed to the brutal 1 goal regulation losses. 

Buffalo has 30 wins and 5 OT losses.

The NY Islanders have 29 wins and 14 OT losses.

Guess which team is in the playoffs as of today.

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, rickshaw said:

Detroit is irrelevant.  The Sabres are 9 points behind Tampa, 7 behind NYI, 4 points behind Washington.  Washington has 3 games in hand and are 7-2-1 in their last 10; NYI have 2 games in and and are also 7-2-1 in their last 10.  The Sabres are 6-3-1.  Even if they catch the Wings, there's no way they're going to catch two of those three.

Mathematically still possible but it would require epic chokes by two of those three teams, not to mention continued losing by the Devils and Wings.

• Like (+1) 2

The spirit of the thread is fine. But doesn't anyone ACTUALLY believe that this team is making it? 

It's fun to joke about the unrealistic ways in, but there is basically 0% (not mathematically) but reality. 

Last year was the year to take action, we failed and here we are. 

KA should have been relieved after that stand still. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

KA and DG finished strong last season… Showed what the team can do… Raised expectations for this season…

May end up breaking hearts again with a late season run and a just miss finish.

Should at least be entertaining hockey.

UPL can see to it.

I'll be going to the April 9 Sabres game in Dallas.  I'll be shocked if that game still matters.  I believe the Sabres won their last game in Dallas on an Owen Power OT goal (that wasn't called back).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Detroit is irrelevant.  The Sabres are 9 points behind Tampa, 7 behind NYI, 4 points behind Washington.  Washington has 3 games in hand and are 7-2-1 in their last 10; NYI have 2 games in and and are also 7-2-1 in their last 10.  The Sabres are 6-3-1.  Even if they catch the Wings, there's no way they're going to catch two of those three.

Mathematically still possible but it would require epic chokes by two of those three teams, not to mention continued losing by the Devils and Wings.

And that has been pointed out since Christmas.  The real hurdle isn’t Detroit. It is ALL of the teams we need to leapfrog.  Outpacing one team that you are X points behind is one thing.  Outpacing 3 or 4 teams is highly unlikely.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The spirit of the thread is fine. But doesn't anyone ACTUALLY believe that this team is making it? 

It's fun to joke about the unrealistic ways in, but there is basically 0% (not mathematically) but reality. 

What ??!

You don’t believe that a .500 team with no power play can magically start scoring goals, in crunch time, and play .900 hockey while 5 other teams simultaneously fall apart?   

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

It doesn’t make the Sabres better but it does make me feel better that Yzerman’s seemingly over priced moves didn’t punch them a ticket to the postseason immediately. And it gives us another shot next year to beat them to the playoffs.

Who cares??

Why does specifically “beating Detroit” to the playoffs matter? Our competition is with the entire league not the redwings. Prove some vain idea we couldn’t have done it quicker because they took a long time? Misery having company doesn’t prove 95% of all teams have managed to find joy by a multitude of strategies in a much quicker time frame 

besides, they are only like half way to our drought. They’d have to match our 13 years first 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:53 PM, Night Train said:

So basically we need to win every game and have a drone bomb the opposing arena's ? 

I think the Sabres can lose two and still hit 95 points, which would be pretty safe.

Edited by MattPie