Harrington tweet indicates DG will be back next year with a new assistant staff

nfreeman

22 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think someone got a thesaurus for Christmas.

Nah - @PASabreFan drops those gems all on his own, afaict. It's why he swooned when someone characterized the power play as execrable.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Credit Stephen Wright I think.

Just now, That Aud Smell said:

Nah - @PASabreFan drops those gems all on his own, afaict. 

Still counts.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Nah - @PASabreFan drops those gems all on his own, afaict. It's why he swooned when someone characterized the power play as execrable.

Still counts.

All of my work is derivative. I just take the best chicken marsala you ever seen and hit it with some Emeril.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

The thing is Pegula is most likely not going anywhere. So you have a Kevyn Adams and Don Granato problem, they both need to be solved for guys that have been there and done that....Some how, some way.

I get that and I agree. You can't replace Terry. I still think replacing Kevyn Adams is more important than replacing Donnie. 

It is just delaying the inevitable. We have a roster a team vision construction problem at its core. A better coach will still be running a flawed team. Replace the GM and you replace Granato too. Replace Granato and we still have Kevyn "Our Stanley Cup window opens now" Adams. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

All of my work is derivative. I just take the best chicken marsala you ever seen and hit it with some Emeril.

There's a difference between being derivative and being an aggregator that judiciously deploys content you've learned along the way.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I get that and I agree. You can't replace Terry. I still think replacing Kevyn Adams is more important than replacing Donnie. 

It is just delaying the inevitable. We have a roster a team vision construction problem at its core. A better coach will still be running a flawed team. Replace the GM and you replace Granato too. Replace Granato and we still have Kevyn "Our Stanley Cup window opens now" Adams. 

The biggest deal for Adams would be someone who can tell him what he is missing and can convince him to change his mind and go for a heavier, more defencively responsible team.

54 minutes ago, Marvin said:

The biggest deal for Adams would be someone who can tell him what he is missing and can convince him to change his mind and go for a heavier, more defencively responsible team.

I agree that would be a great tool for Adams, but given the Mclean article this week it does not seem like the org is open to outside thought at the moment. 

Adams turned down hiring a senior adviser and then told us just a few months ago that "our Stanley Cup window opens now" and rolled out this team. I just don't see how that guy hires a quality HC who pushes him to change. In fact I don't see how a quality HC ends up taking the role with him as GM. 

A number of people called for Adams head prior to this season. I defended him because the org was a mess. We needed to clear out some of the toxicity. The team improved somewhat every year. The writing was on the wall this past offseason. Goalie, defense, replace Matt Ellis. He did none of those things, called us a Stanley cup contender, and we are under .500. 

Adams doesn't need a new HC. We need a new GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

My prediction:

Assistant coaches: Nathan Paetsch and Patrick Kaleta

Matt Ellis promoted to GM. 

Kevyn Adams promoted to President and extended.

We want people that can't go anywhere else, I mean, that want to be here. Hire from within to keep developing the organizational culture. Outside voices concerned with winning will only create conflict in the locker room. 

Edited by atoq
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, atoq said:

My prediction:

Assistant coaches: Nathan Paetsch and Patrick Kaleta

Matt Ellis promoted to GM. 

Kevyn Adams promoted to President and extended.

We want people that can't go anywhere else, I mean, that want to be here. Hire from within to keep developing the organizational culture. Outside voices concerned with winning will only create conflict in the locker room. 

Welcome back!

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Taro T said:

Didn't say Adams SHOULD be back if they miss the playoffs again this year and next.  Said the expectation is that he'll still be back for 1 final run.

Your beef should be with Pegula.

Who said it wasn’t?

On another note, if Adams and Granato are indeed tied at the hip, I’m fine with Granato being back next year if it’s do or die for both of them.

There’s no keeping him hired just to fire him, and in so doing granting a further mulligan 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

On another note, if Adams and Granato are indeed tied at the hip, I’m fine with Granato being back next year if it’s do or die for both of them.

There’s no keeping him hired just to fire him, and in so doing granting a further mulligan 

This is an actual concern for me. I am struggling to see why we waited his long to make a change at assistant when it was near the top of every single persons to do list. I don't see how this is anything other than trying to elongate job security. 

I honestly believe the below could happen: 

24-25 Season: Miss the playoffs again. "Well, it takes some time for the new coaching staff to gel and the team to pick up the changes. We are still very young. A lot of excitement about the future in this building"....Rolls it back
25-26 Season: Donnie is fired mid-season, we miss the playoffs. "We wish Donnie could have stuck around but he had to deal with some health issues and he thought it was best for him to spend time with his family"
26-27 Season: New coach. Misses the playoff again. "We believe in the talent in this building. It often takes time to pick up a new system and the players to gel". 

The fan base has been so gutted that it is almost like there are no more fans to make noise. It isn't like Pegula cares that we average like 600 people per game. Maybe it would be better to go the Cleveland Browns route and fill the entire place up with fans with paper bags over their heads? 

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Reaction Disappointed GIF by MOODMAN

Probably shouldn’t be, tbh. I guess it’s just not the hill I’ll die on, because the GM being held to a standard means so, so more more, i’d say. If Granato is back, Adams can go ahead and live and die by it, just like his roster 

if we lose literally because of the coach, and could have made it otherwise, that poor decision making would have bit us in the arse down the line, anyways. I’m good with Adams continuing to implement HIS plan 

and I’m good with documenting why it’s terrible, as long as it still is

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is an actual concern for me. I am struggling to see why we waited his long to make a change at assistant when it was near the top of every single persons to do list. I don't see how this is anything other than trying to elongate job security. 

I honestly believe the below could happen: 

24-25 Season: Miss the playoffs again. "Well, it takes some time for the new coaching staff to gel and the team to pick up the changes. We are still very young. A lot of excitement about the future in this building"....Rolls it back
25-26 Season: Donnie is fired mid-season, we miss the playoffs. "We wish Donnie could have stuck around but he had to deal with some health issues and he thought it was best for him to spend time with his family"
26-27 Season: New coach. Misses the playoff again. "We believe in the talent in this building. It often takes time to pick up a new system and the players to gel". 

The fan base has been so gutted that it is almost like there are no more fans to make noise. It isn't like Pegula cares that we average like 600 people per game. Maybe it would be better to go the Cleveland Browns route and fill the entire place up with fans with paper bags over their heads? 

They will *absolutely* tout “getting used to the new assistants” if we get off to a slow start next season. That’s not a joke: anything and everything can and does get framed by this regime in that way because, in their back pocket, they always have the “not about building a playoff team, it’s about building a perennial contender” card

there isn’t a single thing they can’t spin by way of “short term pain for long term gain” 

it’s smart messaging on their part, as long as there’s buy in from the fanbase 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Way back on page 1 (I think), I said I was fine with new assistants in lieu of a new HC as long as The HC and GM heads roll if it doesn’t immediately lead to playoffs.  I should have qualified that with “fine” being a relative term, and that my strong preference is that both suffer the ultimate price for missing the goal this season.

As you say later, it’s not a hill I’ll die on, but limiting the change to asst coaches is not my first choice.

15 minutes ago, Weave said:

Way back on page 1 (I think), I said I was fine with new assistants in lieu of a new HC as long as The HC and GM heads roll if it doesn’t immediately lead to playoffs.  I should have qualified that with “fine” being a relative term, and that my strong preference is that both suffer the ultimate price for missing the goal this season.

As you say later, it’s not a hill I’ll die on, but limiting the change to asst coaches is not my first choice.

I saw that and actually meant to “react” to it, your post is what gave me the idea  

It’s not going to be that way though, so I’m in the process of contradicting myself. Dollars to donuts a GM gets a “second coaching hire”, if we don’t fire Granato this offseason, I think it’s almost certain Adams is back for year 6

but we also know the goal is to be economic and efficient: so my suggestion is to alter the parameters for what we look for as fans. We should be rooting for economic efficiency. This is why we play online GM simulator mode, right? Cap is looking good for the next several years. I’m not sure it matters if we win, so long as we have a cap situation and prospect set up wherein it cannot be ruled out 

Up-thread hit on it brilliantly. A universal reality, that Many a truth are uttered in jest: “Oh, you need to have proof for your predictions, now?”

such a Freudian, salient slip. We don’t need evidence of anything. Actual performance does not matter. If we can’t rule out that KA is building a dynasty, the process is going according to plan. And if timeline continues to be a non-existent factor, this can be the case in perpetuity 

We can *always* be the youngest team in the league, if we want to.

We can *always* draft high and have a top prospect pool, if we want to.

These things are available for free, at ease, ie literally *anyone* could be GM (Adams LITERALLY IS “anyone”. He has no merit as a GM), so long as these are the factors by which you measure success 

People can see the Hack, here, right? You can see the man behind the curtain? 

Edited by Thorny

I do not believe that being economic and efficient is a priority for TP or KA.  I think that was the case during the uncertainties of the Covid era, but it is no longer the case.  I think the buildout of the front office and the fat contracts given to multiple young players indicate that the franchise is ready and willing to spend.

While I will not be a-tall surprised if DG is retained, I think that decision will not be based on cheapskatedness.  It will be based on (i) TP's desire not to look like a clown organization that keeps firing people and (ii) KA's belief in DG.

Still a crappy outcome though.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I do not believe that being economic and efficient is a priority for TP or KA.  I think that was the case during the uncertainties of the Covid era, but it is no longer the case.  I think the buildout of the front office and the fat contracts given to multiple young players indicate that the franchise is ready and willing to spend.

While I will not be a-tall surprised if DG is retained, I think that decision will not be based on cheapskatedness.  It will be based on (i) TP's desire not to look like a clown organization that keeps firing people and (ii) KA's belief in DG.

Still a crappy outcome though.

Besides being intentionally hyperbolic, so as to really give this franchise a challenge in trying to live up to it, im not really saying they won’t/aren’t spending. My point was that the performance of their cap setup on paper is more important than its performance on the ice. It doesn’t need to be cheap, it just needs to look like value. That’s a big difference. It’s also how KA makes trades 

I merely present the real-time reaction to those deals as evidence. The reaction to those big contracts, in large majority, wasn’t about the contracts being expensive, and that the players had a lot to live up to. Nope. They were praised for their value. They were heralded upon signing.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.