Jack Quinn, Injured Again

Norcal

51 minutes ago, Quint said:

Because the Sabres will be out of the playoffs by then. You don't want to risk him injuring himself seriously again with less than ten games left. A whole summer to rehab himself and you have a new, completely healed Quinn.

It's not like he had a concussion from getting hit and it was concerning...it was a freak injury.

He's young, he needs to play.

15 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I think you underestimate the amount of time it takes to recover from surgery. 

Based on what I see with players in the NFL and how quickly they come back from things now, rehab and surgeries have gotten much more effective at getting them back to 100% much quicker than it used to be.

Edited by Big Guava

19 minutes ago, Believer said:

Hoping Quinn is not an injury-prone player… We already have Tuch and Samuelson… 

None of these players are injury prone. There's a difference between having multiple injuries and being injury prone. Injury prone is more like a shoulder that has a history of keeping popping out. Or a chronic knee injury. Quinn has just had bad luck so far.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

29 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

None of these players are injury prone. There's a difference between having multiple injuries and being injury prone. Injury prone is more like a shoulder that has a history of keeping popping out. Or a chronic knee injury. Quinn has just had bad luck so far.

Hope you are right….Tuch was out six months recovering from shoulder surgery when LV traded him… Both he and Samuelson have missed multiple games on IR the past couple seasons as memory serves… Now Quinn injured for multiple weeks after six months recovery from Achilles surgery… Injuries are part of hockey but some players are more susceptible to IR injury than others… Time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Guava said:

Based on what I see with players in the NFL and how quickly they come back from things now, rehab and surgeries have gotten much more effective at getting them back to 100% much quicker than it used to be.

I'm a doctor that sees all kinds of issues with patients that think they're healed, then push it, then have a setback. Sometimes minor and sometimes, they need to have another procedure. 

If we were pushing for the playoffs then, OK, maybe. But this team is a train wreck, Quinn now has 2 serious injuries in a short span of time. Shut it down, really let that $hit heal until next season when we may finally decide to field a winning team (ha).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Believer said:

Hope you are right….Tuch was out six months recovering from shoulder surgery when LV traded him… Both he and Samuelson have missed multiple games on IR the past couple seasons as memory serves… Now Quinn injured for multiple weeks after six months recovery from Achilles surgery… Injuries are part of hockey but some players are more susceptible to IR injury than others… Time will tell.

Going into the boards at a bad angle injuring your ankle as Quinn apparently did has nothing to do with his previous achilles injury. It doesn't mean he's injury prone, it means he had two separate injuries that had nothing to do with each other. 

5 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Going into the boards at a bad angle injuring your ankle as Quinn apparently did has nothing to do with his previous achilles injury. It doesn't mean he's injury prone, it means he had two separate injuries that had nothing to do with each other. 

Isn't that the definition of injury prone? Continually getting injured? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Isn't that the definition of injury prone? Continually getting injured? 

No, it's not. Injury prone is when you have a player having the same type of injury over and over. As in the example I gave above, say a player has had a shoulder separation. Then he has the same shoulder pop out repeatedly. That's injury prone. The previous injury results in being more prone to the same injury happening again. Two separate injuries that have nothing to do with each other does not mean injury prone.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:01 PM, RochesterExpat said:

Time to start looking at who the top 10 are in the draft and sort by 'highly skilled undersized perimeter forward' so we can figure out who we're drafting.

At some point, when it’s clear this team isn’t going anywhere and don’t go on a 10-12 game winning streak to get them back in the hunt, we ought to bring up young guys, get them some action, rest any injured player, lose a few games, and get in a better draft position. 

And fire Granato, then overpay for a legitimate NHL coach. Not a guy who belongs in the juniors. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

No, it's not. Injury prone is when you have a player having the same type of injury over and over. As in the example I gave above, say a player has had a shoulder separation. Then he has the same shoulder pop out repeatedly. That's injury prone. The previous injury results in being more prone to the same injury happening again. Two separate injuries that have nothing to do with each other does not mean injury prone.

I would agree and add that when I think of injury prone, it is a player that gets hurt in a situation when a lot of others might not. My knee/leg/ankle almost sympathy broke just watching what happened to Quinn. I think a majority of players end up on IR if they were Quinn right then.

7 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

Counterpoint:  If a player plays in such a way that he exposes himself to injury- blocking shots, not leaving enough room to stop before hitting the boards, etc., and they miss games because of that, that is being injury prone.  So far from what I've seen, Muel and Quinn are both injury prone in that they play "too" hard.  To get off that injury prone list, they need to learn how to be just as effective, or close to it, without taking undue risk.

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Regarding the issue of “injury prone”, in the absence of a pre-existing condition, there really is no such thing. 

When I watched that replay, one of my first reactions was "that kid's gotta learn to take better care of himself." I felt Hertl's play was cheap (not dirty - just cheap (two hands on the numbers and shoving a player towards the boards)), but I also felt that Quinn put himself in a vulnerable position.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

When I watched that replay, one of my first reactions was "that kid's gotta learn to take better care of himself." I felt Hertl's play was cheap (not dirty - just cheap (two hands on the numbers and shoving a player towards the boards)), but I also felt that Quinn put himself in a vulnerable position.

It was cheap. I was thinking about that as I watched the play unfold. 

Jack just crumbled so he likely had his feet in a bad position at the time of the push which made it worse but still a cheap, unnecessary play imo.

I was still waiting for something to happen to the Sharks. But as always...the team just had nothing to give. I'm not even talking about a fight or being dirty. Maybe my military training gave me a different sense of "team" This team is just soooo easy to root against this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was still waiting for something to happen to the Sharks. But as always...the team just had nothing to give. I'm not even talking about a fight or being dirty. Maybe my military training gave me a different sense of "team" This team is just soooo easy to root against this season. 

I thought I saw a clip suggesting that the Sabres mixed it up a bit at some point after Quinn's injury. But looking at the box score, I just see some double minors for roughing.

What's become of Cozens? He showed clear signs of being a guy who would not put up with that sh1t. Perhaps Adams and/or Granato have him second-guessing/managing that aspect of his game/nature.

Edited by That Aud Smell

15 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I thought I saw a clip suggesting that the Sabres mixed it up a bit at some point after Quinn's injury. But looking at the box score, I just see some double minors for roughing.

What's become of Cozens? He showed clear signs of being a guy who would not put up with that sh1t. Perhaps Adams and/or Granato have him second-guessing/managing that aspect of his game/nature.

Probably that broken jaw had something to do with it no? 

But in general, this whole team is ***** 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Perhaps he doesn't want to miss time again if he takes a shot to the yap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

True. They make it hard 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Perhaps he doesn't want to miss time again if he takes a shot to the yap.

I’m expecting Granato told him to cease and desist as he’s to valuable to have out or play with sore hands.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.