Whipping Boy +/-

JustOneParade

Wrapping things at work up before the holiday weekend so I thought I'd start my first thread.

I realize +/- is a maligned metric as to its usefulness but its simple. So, without looking, rank the following Sabres in +/- best to worst, through last night's game. 

The candidates:  E Johnson, VO, Clifton, Power.

I'll post the numbers later this evening but go ahead and peek after if you're curious.

Surprising fact: only one of the four are minus on the season to date.

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

VO

Clifton

EJ 

Power

Not sure what the other 2 posters in this thread are getting at, except that they are guessing (or cheating) that Power is the worst of the 4 and are not bothering to rank the other 3.

(insert winkie thingie here)

Power is the worst of the group. Dahlin is way worser though.

• Like (+1) 1

Clifton was atrocious and lost many games all on his own early in the season. However, he has leveled out.

Jokiharhu is in over his head with Power. Power is overthinking and Joki is a terrible partner to help avoid that.

Clifton might finally be able to relieve Joki of a role that’s over his head. Disappointing it took so far into the season to adjust, but at least he’s made it.  

My whipping boys in order:

Pegula

Adams

Granato

Appert

Ellis

To the players you whipped. I don't blame Power for anything as he's a young kid and he's not being developed properly so what do you expect? You can't just throw every baby in the pool and expect them to swim. I don't blame Clifton because I have seen him succeed in the right system. We don't have a proper defensive system so he's lost. I don't blame VO because he's always been what he is and the expectation that he'd be something different is kind of silly and lastly I don't blame EJ as he's an old veteran who is past his prime so once again what do you expect? 

I could whip on some of the "star" players for their inconsistencies and deficiencies and lack of effort at times but again, what would be the point? Thompson is never going to hit anybody. Skinner is never going to play defense. and so on. At least they won't under this coach/system/philosophy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

You know I've been (rightfully) critical of Power's play this year. But then I remember being all mad at Rasmus Dahlin for being just as bad a mere few years ago. That taught me there's a learning curve in hockey, probably longer than most sports. So yes, Power is sucking great quantities this year but I have faith he will bloom like Rasmus eventually. It's only year two.

• Agree 3

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You know I've been (rightfully) critical of Power's play this year. But then I remember being all mad at Rasmus Dahlin for being just as bad a mere few years ago. That taught me there's a learning curve in hockey, probably longer than most sports. So yes, Power is sucking great quantities this year but I have faith he will bloom like Rasmus eventually. It's only year two.

And that learning curve is why it would be very helpful for him to either have a vet stay at home partner or get a chance to be on the 3rd pairing.  But he keeps getting put in the position of being the alpha of the 2nd pairing.  Which is a really tough spot to put a 2nd year D-man.  (Even one with his raw skills.)

• Agree 1

So @Contempt had it in the right order. The way I originally listed them (helping hint) best to worst. 
+3, +2, +1, and -1.

16 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

My whipping boys in order:

Pegula

Adams

Granato

Appert

Ellis

To the players you whipped. I don't blame Power for anything as he's a young kid and he's not being developed properly so what do you expect? You can't just throw every baby in the pool and expect them to swim. I don't blame Clifton because I have seen him succeed in the right system. We don't have a proper defensive system so he's lost. I don't blame VO because he's always been what he is and the expectation that he'd be something different is kind of silly and lastly I don't blame EJ as he's an old veteran who is past his prime so once again what do you expect? 

I could whip on some of the "star" players for their inconsistencies and deficiencies and lack of effort at times but again, what would be the point? Thompson is never going to hit anybody. Skinner is never going to play defense. and so on. At least they won't under this coach/system/philosophy. 

For the record, I used the players that seem to take the most heat on this board. And I couldn’t find the +/- for the people on your list. :-). Organizationally, I agree with you tho I would switch Appert and Ellis.

• Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

So @Contempt had it in the right order. The way I originally listed them (helping hint) best to worst. 
+3, +2, +1, and -1.

VO is playing very limited minutes.

Adams and Granato. The end. 

Defending Power and Samuelsson is laughable. They were lauded as deity by many and are playing like AHL level players trying to find a game... while standing around while opponents hog our crease... pinching in at the wrong time and getting caught or coughing up the puck. .Thank God they gave them a lot of $$. Insanity.

I still have hope but there was no need to overpay them so early. Earn it.  Quit forecasting like a dizzy psychic. I already saw the Darcy act that failed. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'd like to add KA and DG to this thread.  Both have recently received lucrative extensions and neither is doing their job effectively this season. 

DG has failed to fix the PP or develop any chemistry in his lines or D pairings.  He has also failed to get the team to play with any consistency game to game.  For it to be this late in the season and the Sabres have only won 2 in a row once this season is awful and a poor reflection on the coaching staff.

KA has failed to upgrade the roster with any of his veteran acquisitions save Tuch.  His continued failure to find a solution in net is damning.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.