Any pickleballers here?

PromoTheRobot

Since I had to give up playing goal because of 1) heart issues 2) knee replacements 3) age, I started playing pickleball at the gym at our town hall. My wife suggested we go last February. She played a couple times and lost interest. Meanwhile I really took to it. I picked it up quickly since I play 4-6 times a week. I've gotten fairly competent. There is a rating scale called DUPR. I have never been officially scored but I'm guessing I'm just over 3.0.  I play with some strategy, my serves can be tricky and I can put a nasty spin on a drop shot.

I find that pickleball scratches the competitive itch hockey used to. It improved my heart function. It's a great work out without feeling like you're working out. Of course I upgraded my paddle twice, but I haven't crossed the $100 price point. (I bought a used $179 MSRP paddle for $50. It had a small split in the edging. I wrote the company asking how to fix it and they just sent me a new one!) Whenever I travel, to Buffalo or Maryland, and in February to Vegas, I always look up where there's a game I can join.

Anyone else here play?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Since I had to give up playing goal because of 1) heart issues 2) knee replacements 3) age, I started playing pickleball at the gym at our town hall. My wife suggested we go last February. She played a couple times and lost interest. Meanwhile I really took to it. I picked it up quickly since I play 4-6 times a week. I've gotten fairly competent. There is a rating scale called DUPR. I have never been officially scored but I'm guessing I'm just over 3.0.  I play with some strategy, my serves can be tricky and I can put a nasty spin on a drop shot.

I find that pickleball scratches the competitive itch hockey used to. It improved my heart function. It's a great work out without feeling like you're working out. Of course I upgraded my paddle twice, but I haven't crossed the $100 price point. (I bought a used $179 MSRP paddle for $50. It had a small split in the edging. I wrote the company asking how to fix it and they just sent me a new one!) Whenever I travel, to Buffalo or Maryland, and in February to Vegas, I always look up where there's a game I can join.

Anyone else here play?

We bought rackets, but it’s so popular here, especially at our gym, that there’s never a court to play on. I think we’ve had rackets for over a year now. Lol

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

We bought rackets, but it’s so popular here, especially at our gym, that there’s never a court to play on. I think we’ve had rackets for over a year now. Lol

Sorry to hear that but I can see that happening. We're lucky here in NH. Most public parks have added pickleball lines to their tennis courts and between the Y's, rec centers and some schools, there a good amount of indoor courts. 

This site is good for finding games: https://www.places2play.org/

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Anyone else here play?

Not since High School. 🙂 (not kidding, in the early 90s I remember doing it as a several-week module during the winter)

MsPie's father is pretty into it; several times a week, has portable net and lines in the driveway, etc. He qualified for the NYS Senior Mens Championship or something last year, but got sick and couldn't play.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, steveoath said:

It’s new over here. But as part of a team building exercise at the school I work in we had a staff sports day where we were introduced to pickle ball and had a few games. Was fun. 

Love the added touch to the avatar.

Much love,

New Scotland

• Like (+1) 3

My Wife and I play every Friday. We actually play with a member of the Predators staff and his wife once a month when possible, our wives met at a zumba class and became friends. That's how I knew the Preds were blowing up their roster before it happened. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nope...have given up playing any type of athletic sport...know far too many people that have had serious injuries so I accept those days are over.

I am in tremendous shape tho as I work out 4x a week with heavy resistance training, walk 12-20K steps daily and do other things like slam ball workouts, weighted vest hill climbs/hikes and weighted sled pulls.

55 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I play. Horribly. At 236lbs, 5' 11" I'm no gifted talent. But.....it's not my chicken legs that are the problem, it's my 36ib spare tire.

Hey, I've earned it!!! 45 yrs old I was 185lbs, climbing steel. Now, 8 yrs later, ya, my joints feel the coat of "I Build America", so kiss my kiss my ass 🤣 

But I bet you feel pretty good after playing 90 minutes.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I play. Horribly. At 236lbs, 5' 11" I'm no gifted talent. But.....it's not my chicken legs that are the problem, it's my 36ib spare tire.

Hey, I've earned it!!! 45 yrs old I was 185lbs, climbing steel. Now, 8 yrs later, ya, my joints feel the coat of "I Build America", so kiss my kiss my ass 🤣 

Sounds like me playing hockey. I really enjoy the game, but it hurts to play way more than it should thanks to my extra 60lbs and that I'm closing in on 50.  Mentally, I still think I'm in my early 20s and under 10% body fat so I go as hard as I can. More shifts than not I'm thinking it's defibrillator time when I get back to the bench.

I was nursing a knee injury last year and didn't sign up. This year, I missed the sign up deadline, but at the same time I don't miss that feeling where my heart and lungs were maxed out.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Sounds like me playing hockey. I really enjoy the game, but it hurts to play way more than it should thanks to my extra 60lbs and that I'm closing in on 50.  Mentally, I still think I'm in my early 20s and under 10% body fat so I go as hard as I can. More shifts than not I'm thinking it's defibrillator time when I get back to the bench.

I was nursing a knee injury last year and didn't sign up. This year, I missed the sign up deadline, but at the same time I don't miss that feeling where my heart and lungs were maxed out.

I fully hear you. And ya, I feel the pain. But I won't give up, puggy, just recently quit smoking, if I die, I die, as long as it's while the love of my life is moisturizing my lips 🤣 

Yeah I love it. I’m around a 4.25 in doubles and singles (very different games) and have played in tournaments in FLA, NJ, NY, CT and OH, NH and MA. Haven’t won one yet but have been very close (match points to win one for instance). My next one is in Naples, FLA in Feb. I grew up playing competitive tennis, racquetball and ping pong. I tend to beat everyone around my age (55) while winning some/losing some vs the youngsters.

I’m competitive but, in saying that, it’s a sport for everyone at any level. It’s like golf in that you can play it well into old age, which is great. I’ve seen extremely good players in their late 70s/early 80s.

one piece of advice, pay for a great racquet. A $200 racquet may only be incrementally better than a $50 one but it is better and it’s the only piece of equipment you’ll need other than tennis/pickleball shoes.

I’ve designed a court for my backyard, but not sure the wife is approving - lol!

if anyone has questions, feel free to reach out. I’ve been playing about 4 years

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Don't stop playing. It all turns the s### if you do. I had to get a stent put in after nearly passing out in a game. Once the fake knees went in I was done. Any hope I had of a miracle comeback faded when I was told I'd be on blood thinners the rest of the way due to aFib. Pickleball at least gets me active again.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Don't stop playing. It all turns the s### if you do. I had to get a stent put in after nearly passing out in a game. Once the fake knees went in I was done. Any hope I had of a miracle comeback faded when I was told I'd be on blood thinners the rest of the way due to aFib. Pickleball at least gets me active again.

I had a stent put in too last february changed my eating habits and lost a bunch of weight

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.