Levi sent to Roch

pi2000

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why is Adams admitting he was "wrong" so important to you?    He gave the kid a shot, the kid is not ready yet.   Most of us suspected he would not be ready, therefore we wanted a proven NHL goalie brought in.   Now we can see that the kid is not ready and he goes to Rochester.   So be it.  

Part 2 of this is that Adams was comfortable with UPL/Comrie and did not bring in a vet NHL goalie.  

If UPL holds up as a decent #1 then Adams will get praise for sticking with him.  Some members here wanted UPL traded, and other more learned members said just waive him.  Right now those opinions are looking more wrong than the plan to keep him.   If UPL does not hold up, Adams will get scorn for not bringing in the NHL goalie.  But not until then.  

Adams is not going on TV and saying, "hey, I  was wrong, I thought one of the 3 goalies would handle #1" that does nothing but make the 3 goalies feel tossed under the bus.  

What is Terry Pegula's expectation on Adams?  I have a feeling that Adams is comfortable about his job, even if the playoff goal is not reached.   

As long as goalie 2 plays poorly his offseason approach towards the goaltending won’t sit well with me. I already gave him the benefit of the doubt with Levi, ie having one guy, and maybe that’s now UPL. But under the scenario where we “had” Levi we all wanted a capable 2: we still don’t have the capable 2

im good with giving Adams credit specifically for sticking with UPL. But I’ll reiterate, entering in with 3 unknowns and one emerging, after a time, and after precious standings ground has been lost, still isn’t a great plan. I’m good with not torching it but it’s not a “wow great job.”. Entering into the season with a more stable duo would have been far superior 

The reason we couldn’t was still the result of Adams overall approach to the position in now 4 seasons

results results results 

1 hour ago, Jorcus said:

Don't Freak out if Levi does not knock them dead in Rochester. Amerks give up tons of shots on goal so he sure will get some practice. Defensive structure goes out the window in the AHL sometimes and when you get to lines 3 and 4 it can get scary. As far as the arena goes it's a lot better than Syracuse and some how Vasilevskiy survived. In spite of the Arena Syracuse draws big crowds. 

Much of the optimism re: Levi in college was that his team was giving up a lot of shots ie he wasn’t being buoyed by his defence. Considering the amount “Miller” “Price” and “Hasek” are thrown around with him, I think it’s going to be ok for people to expect him to be good even while his team needs to lean on him. Maybe not right away, but the point with Levi was that he wasn’t going to be one of these “what could he even have done? Short of prime Hasek..” guys. He should get to the point in Rochester where he’s simply good, no matter what, if we are looking for him to become a Miller 

If he’s another guy that needs ideal defence or he’s just “not the problem” rather than an active solution, he’ll look more of the same as UPL/Comrie have at the NHL level until he presumably gets a bit of a jump some years on like UPL

Honestly I expect a pretty good AHL performance after he settles in 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

As long as goalie 2 plays poorly his offseason approach towards the goaltending won’t sit well with me. I already gave him the benefit of the doubt with Levi, ie having one guy, and maybe that’s now UPL. But under the scenario where we “had” Levi we all wanted a capable 2: we still don’t have the capable 2

im good with giving Adams credit specifically for sticking with UPL. But I’ll reiterate, entering in with 3 unknowns and one emerging, after a time, and after precious standings ground has been lost, still isn’t a great plan. I’m good with not torching it but it’s not a “wow great job.”. Entering into the season with a more stable duo would have been far superior 

The reason we couldn’t was still the result of Adams overall approach to the position in now 4 seasons

results results results 

I am giving no credit or discredit until this plays out.   I was against not acquiring a goaltender.   I was against Levi playing four straight games to start the season too.  I am for Levi in Rochester.  

Right now UPL is a pleasant surprise that has a long road ahead to prove he is consistent enough to be a 1. 

Comrie is still Comrie.  He can backup.  

Levi is in a place were he can work on his game and contribute.  

It is what it is and we will know as the season progresses.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

OK @PASabreFan, I looked at the old Levi Expectations Thread.   Just one (1) member voted that he would spend time in the AHL - that was @mjd1001.

The majority picked the middle option -  lots of games and lots of ups and downs. 

Almost as many picked the first option - lots of games and Calder conversation.  

Looks like you did not vote.   

Some of the longest standing members here, and most ardent followers of hockey,  picked option 1.   

So the board here is becoming more "rah rah"?   Maybe so.  I would say we are a fan base looking for a savior.  Probably because there is little else to cheer for other than our prospects developing.  We spent the whole off season talking about prospects as the FO only bought in two players from the outside to help with a playoff run. 

It even seemed to me like the preseason games were a prolonged tryout that actually extended into the regular season.  And people wonder why they started slow?  

I see where your frustration is but the diehard fans have to cheer for something. 

Board was certainly stunningly off on this. I’m not making a point it’s just inarguably true. 

53 people of 54, a stunning margin, said he’d be a full time starter with 40/50 games

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Does St. Catherines have an arena? I only mentioned Hamilton because I know they have a decent arena looking for a main tenant. Not sure why the Bulldogs left it though. There might be an issue I'm not aware of. 

Are AHL facilities good? idk  I live in Abbotsford BC and we have the baby Canucks. It's a 7000 seat arena. Nothing special but not terrible. It's up by the University so they use Uni parking lots in the evenings. It gets pretty jammed up for bigger events though. "The arena has a capacity of 7,000 seats for hockey with room for expansion to 8,500. There are 300 club seats, 15 boxes, 20 private suites, and 2 party suites." (according to wikipedia). No idea how that would compare to Rochester. 

I don't think the border would be an issue. It'll only close if there's another pandemic and then hockey pretty much closes as well or I guess if somebody launches their car into a fireball but since that just happened what are the odds it happens again soon? 

St Catharines has the OHL’s Niagara Ice Dogs. The Meridian centre (2014) olds 5,300.

Hamilton arena is getting revamped so the OHL Bulldogs are playing in Brantford for a few years.

On 11/28/2023 at 4:04 PM, Pimlach said:

60 miles away Hank.   He can play for Rochester and still get a few Sabres home games in.  

@Pimlach Just helping a bit.... 60 mi. US, is 96.6 km. but with the conversion for Canadians coming to WNY, we have marked it up to 120 km.

Just watched his post skate presser and the kid is just off the charts even keeled and genuinely embracing it as an opportunity to round out his game.  Also thinks that the road should be bumpy and not easy.  He's got such a consummate professional attitude.  It's like whatever is the complete opposite of entitled, that's Devon Levi.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Board was certainly stunningly off on this. I’m not making a point it’s just inarguably true. 

53 people of 54, a stunning margin, said he’d be a full time starter with 40/50 games

@Thorny & @Pimlach Why oh why do you insist on utilizing FACTS in your posts? I mean, so few do, it's disorient-it-tatating even!

image.thumb.png.cb90cff9695e55f9d852c5f182621df0.png

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

Again if I owned the Buffalo Sabres the Sabres farm team wouldn’t be in Rochester anymore. I don’t believe you can develop players in that poor outdated Rochester Americans AHL setup. Blue Cross Arena in Rochester is a dump. I have talked about it for years it’s one of the many reasons the Buffalo Sabres as a franchise is struggling. The Buffalo Sabres need a 5,000 to 6,000 seat arena built in Amherst for their Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team and other sports holdings like the Henderson Dollar Loan Center for the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team. That is today not our outdated 1970’s minor league setup.

The Buffalo Sabres need to make a $80 to $100 million dollar investment in their hockey development if they are serious. $80 to $100 million dollars is what is needed for a AHL minor league arena. I wouldn’t build in Rochester it’s too far away from Buffalo plus I don’t believe in that Rochester sports market anymore the Rochester Knighthawks attendance is terrible Terry Pegula is losing a lot of money with that team. I think the Buffalo Sabres would be more successful acquiring land in Amherst by UB to build a minor league arena for the Buffalo Sabres AHL team, UB Bulls basketball, indoor soccer and indoor football. Terry Pegula should sell his Rochester holdings Americans and Knighthawks to local Rochester investors or keep them and sell the Buffalo Sabres/Buffalo Bandits because it’s not working the way it is now. The Buffalo Sabres need major developmental money not just for renovations to Key Bank Center downtown but for a minor league arena in Amherst. The Vegas Golden Knights aren’t winning by luck they made major investments money in their Vegas AHL team facilities. Terry Pegula doesn’t look like he is the man that is going to do that for whatever reason so more Sabres losing and suffering as Darcy Regier said which is really unfortunate. I don’t believe in Rochester Americans or that substandard development set up for the Sabres prospects in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Hear me out, but do you think the Sabres AHL affiliate should be in AMHERST instead of ROCHESTER?!

• dislike 2

7 hours ago, French Collection said:

St Catharines has the OHL’s Niagara Ice Dogs. The Meridian centre (2014) olds 5,300.

Hamilton arena is getting revamped so the OHL Bulldogs are playing in Brantford for a few years.

Oh it's a temp thing got it. So they'd have to get Montreal to move their team back to Quebec. Guess that's unlikely. 

On 11/28/2023 at 5:16 PM, K-9 said:

With all due respect, this seems like selective memory. To my recollection, Oopie has never strung together 20 games of quality goaltending. I’m too lazy to look up his game splits from last season, but will gladly stand corrected if I’m wrong about those 20 games.

Stretching Charlie Day GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

On 11/28/2023 at 11:23 PM, ... said:

KA likely envisioned Levi as the answer in goal

I think he figured he *might* be.  He was 5-2 last season.  If he picked up where he left off (of course the team didn't in general, but that's another story), he might have stuck.  But just like every other prospect that gets a cup of coffee in the NHL, the stint in Buffalo this season told him he's not quite ready and likely provided a list of things he needs to work on in Rochester.

On 11/29/2023 at 12:12 AM, Sabres Super Fan said:

Eric Comrie isn’t a solid backup and beyond this season is of no use for the Buffalo Sabres organization. I can’t wait until Buffalo Bandits season because the Buffalo Sabres relying on UPL and Eric Comrie the season over for playoffs this season unfortunately again a panic move by Don Granato. When you start listening to the fans your sitting next to them. UPL has shown no ability that he can carry a number one goalie load after three seasons. Nothing has changed with UPL but the year. A few good Buffalo Sabres games doesn’t make him capable. I believe UPL will fold under the added pressure like he always does. As for Eric Comrie he has no future and can’t seem to stay healthy. As for Devon Levi I think the last place I would send a goalie is the AHL Rochester Americans if anything Devon Levi should have stayed in college at Northeastern Huskies.

Again if I owned the Buffalo Sabres the Sabres farm team wouldn’t be in Rochester anymore. I don’t believe you can develop players in that poor outdated Rochester Americans AHL setup. Blue Cross Arena in Rochester is a dump. I have talked about it for years it’s one of the many reasons the Buffalo Sabres as a franchise is struggling. The Buffalo Sabres need a 5,000 to 6,000 seat arena built in Amherst for their Buffalo Sabres AHL farm team and other sports holdings like the Henderson Dollar Loan Center for the Vegas Golden Knights AHL farm team. That is today not our outdated 1970’s minor league setup.

The Buffalo Sabres need to make a $80 to $100 million dollar investment in their hockey development if they are serious. $80 to $100 million dollars is what is needed for a AHL minor league arena. I wouldn’t build in Rochester it’s too far away from Buffalo plus I don’t believe in that Rochester sports market anymore the Rochester Knighthawks attendance is terrible Terry Pegula is losing a lot of money with that team. I think the Buffalo Sabres would be more successful acquiring land in Amherst by UB to build a minor league arena for the Buffalo Sabres AHL team, UB Bulls basketball, indoor soccer and indoor football. Terry Pegula should sell his Rochester holdings Americans and Knighthawks to local Rochester investors or keep them and sell the Buffalo Sabres/Buffalo Bandits because it’s not working the way it is now. The Buffalo Sabres need major developmental money not just for renovations to Key Bank Center downtown but for a minor league arena in Amherst. The Vegas Golden Knights aren’t winning by luck they made major investments money in their Vegas AHL team facilities. Terry Pegula doesn’t look like he is the man that is going to do that for whatever reason so more Sabres losing and suffering as Darcy Regier said which is really unfortunate. I don’t believe in Rochester Americans or that substandard development set up for the Sabres prospects in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

For a Super Sabres Fan, you sure don't like the team much, do you?

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

They don’t have TV timeouts in the NCAA, not sure of the scrapes.

No idea if they do that at college games.

The NHL never did it until the 1st winter classic.  They'd just clean up a little bit of snow around the creases and some other places where it built up.

Larry Quinn's lasting legacy on the game.  Not blue ice and orange lines, nor non-rectangular nets.  Sending the maintenance crew out to clean the snow off most all the ice during breaks inperiod.  (Probably wasn't him on THAT either, but he does take credit for it.)

16 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Any murmurs of Levi's dip in performance being influenced by the ruling that he can't Jedi in front of his net any longer? 

I’m definitely in the minority on this but I’d rather him hold off on the performative stuff like that at the nhl level until he actually establishes as a player to be reckoned with at the level 

they have to scrape that area of the ice anyways, it’s probably just a non-starter going forwards regardless   

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’m definitely in the minority on this but I’d rather him hold off on the performative stuff like that at the nhl level until he actually establishes as a player to be reckoned with at the level 

they have to scrape that area of the ice anyways, it’s probably just a non-starter going forwards regardless   

It isn't performative

• Like (+1) 1