The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

It's not all that uncommon for teams to shuttle between goalies until they figure out who gives them their best shot to win.  Some teams are goalie carousels.  While I think this situation is a bit atypical in that they don't have a proven veteran, sometimes the proven veterans lose out to the younger guy anyway.  As long as the goaltending settles in I don't care how we got there.

On one particular save against the Rags, I noticed he butterflied out in anticipation of a shot, and the shooter tried for high corner.  UPL stretched his frame up to the shot and deflected the puck with his shoulder.  A lot of the times the oversized goalies just sit there in the butterfly and assume the hole is too small to hit.  I liked that he actively blocked it and I don't think he was doing stuff like that previous to this season.

On 11/28/2023 at 12:36 AM, erickompositör72 said:

I missed tonight's game. Thrilled with the result. I still worry UPL might be fool's gold, but I'm also happy to be proven wrong. My $ is on Levi long-term having the most distinguished career, but goalies are funny creatures...

I agree the thing is you hope as a Buffalo Sabres fan that the UPL crowd don’t get there way like they did with Darren Puppa back in the day over Tom Barrasso. One of the worst decisions the Sabres organization ever made was trading the more talented Tom Barrasso to the Pittsburgh Penguins for Doug Bodger and Darrin Shannon going with the Sabres fan favorite Darren Puppa because he shutout Wayne Gretzky and the Edmonton Oilers in Edmonton he became a Sabres fan folk hero. We all know how that turned out for the Sabres. UPL isn’t ever going to be anything more than a NHL backup goalie he let in 6 goals on his first 14 shots that is terrible he can’t play back to back at the same consistent level he folds every time unfortunately. With Devon Levi right now is unknown. I rather sink or swim with the unknown Devon Levi who is more talented than UPL as a Sabres fan.

Eric Comrie it’s a joke this man is on the Sabres roster he has no value. Winnipeg Jets got rid of this bum and some Sabres fans think he is good ridiculous he should have been waived if Sabres roster shot warranted it. It doesn’t matter anymore because I think both Don Granato and Kevyn Adams are fired at the end of the season if the Sabres don’t make the playoffs. The Sabres lease is going to be up on Key Bank Center and the Sabres want public money changes are coming if Terry Pegula doesn’t get a playoff team this season. Because it’s hard to convince the general public for public money when your team sucks for 13 years plus years. Changes are coming because this current Sabres team is badly underachieving and were expected to make the playoffs this season they actually look worse than last season in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

Thats was not a UPL problem last night. That was a serious lack of backchecking and where is my guy problem. The Sabres had a serious lack of defense problem last night. That was horrible in a game that was theirs for the taking. 

No, UPL was bad. Sure the backchecking could have been better but UPL was bad. Both things can be true. We need to stop this idea that if a team makes a mistake in front of a goalie that lets them off the hook for being crappy. All NHL teams allow chances to their opponents, we got far below average goaltending from UPL last night and we lost. Both things can be true, UPL was bad and the team didn't cover in the d zone well enough. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, UPL was bad. Sure the backchecking could have been better but UPL was bad. Both things can be true. We need to stop this idea that if a team makes a mistake in front of a goalie that lets them off the hook for being crappy. All NHL teams allow chances to their opponents, we got far below average goaltending from UPL last night and we lost. Both things can be true, UPL was bad and the team didn't cover in the d zone well enough. 

I can go with that. This team feels like groundhog day at times. They play so incredible but the next game is a total stinker

13 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I can go with that. This team feels like groundhog day at times. They play so incredible but the next game is a total stinker

They outshoot St Louis 46-20, they were the better team last night but not where it mattered. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.