Pens prospect dies by skate to throat…

Skooby

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

I am stunned that you or anyone else has never heard about that as it was one of the most infamous and memorable moments in both American political and television history.

It's not that well known - I bet maybe 10% of the general population knows what you're taking about.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

Well.. it's being investigated.. which I suppose would happen anyway.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/38780605/adam-johnson-death-police-investigation-england

That said.. I've seen two neck incidents in my lifetime and the first was far more than enough.  It's just horrible, and stuff happens that all the protection in the world can't prevent. You just hope it never does... and sadly this time it did.

Yes, All deaths in unusual circumstances are investigated in the UK. As Ice Hockey is a small sport here it was always going to happen. Looks like the governing body will be mandating neck guards. No word from the elite league as they operate independent of the EIHA. 

2 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

It's not that well known - I bet maybe 10% of the general population knows what you're taking about.

I saw a clip of it years ago on a program where they were talking about deaths in the public eye or some such things. Public deaths I suppose. It certainly was ‘ live ‘

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

After seeing the recent tragedy I can’t for the life of me understand why he lifts his leg into the neck area of the player. It was akin to a karate kick towards the head area. Very strange indeed.

Yeah i agree. Didn’t seek it out but i ran across a loop of the incident on Twitter. It does appear that the guy did a kicking motion. Probably didn’t intend to slash his throat but i can’t imagine why he’d even want to kick him in the equipment. So the kicking coupled with the guys sketchy background it doesn’t seem far fetched at all that this was not an accident.

• Like (+1) 3

My honest guess is

The player at fault was attempting to use his leg to break up any potential opportunity his missed check could create. So he does what many players have in the past and extends himself is far out as he can to create a block.  However, rather than hitting Johnson in the chest pad with the side of his skate/leg, his skate blade hits his neck and we have the tragedy we've seen. Effectively this would be manslaughter but frankly I'd rather not open that can of worms in any sport  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

It’s definitely not infamous. Known? Yea I guess. In certain circles. But faaaaar from “infamous”. Poor exaggeration.

The guy held a press conference on live TV, pulled a gun out of a manilla envelope, waived it around and then blew his brains out on live television.

Yeah...

https://shop.panthers.co.uk/products/adam-johnson-47-memorial-jersey?variant=44819907903730

A jersey that benefits the gofundme site they set up: https://www.gofundme.com/f/adam-johnson-the-nottingham-panthers-47?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_medium=copy_link_all&utm_source=customer

It's pretty slick.  Wish it didn't cost $44 to ship to the US or else I would totally pick one up.

This Petgrave guy is a scumbag and that's being nice.  There's a video circulating from a decade+ ago when he played for the Niagara Ice Dogs in the OHL.  With his back to the opponent, he used his leg/skate as a weapon to flip the guy as he was cutting towards the net.  I can only imagine how many times he did reckless stuff like that not caught on video.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I've watched Sabre hockey on TV for many years. I saw both the Malarchuk and Zednik games on TV . I don't wish to subject myself to this tragic event so I refuse to watch it. It's inconceiveable to me for someone to intentionally injure an opponent with a skate by lifting his leg to neck level. I've read varying opinions, that someone kicked his foot etc. I'm not sure how someone can judge if this was intentional or not. Still I refuse to see it. Too traumatic for me.

Edited by Quint

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to have to bump this horrible topic but it’s worth noting that an arrest has been made and an individual believed to be Petgrave has been charged with manslaughter. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/nhl-news-and-rumors/manslaughter-arrest-made-for-death-of-hockey-star-adam-johnson

Edited by steveoath
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Sorry to have to bump this horrible topic but it’s worth noting that an arrest has been made and an individual believed to be Petgrave has been charged with manslaughter. 

https://www.si.com/fannation/bringmethesports/nhl-news-and-rumors/manslaughter-arrest-made-for-death-of-hockey-star-adam-johnson

Yeah, I read that about an hour ago… I guess we’ll see if it actually holds up in a court of law.

Seems like involuntary manslaughter minimum. No intent to kill, but reckless. However the arrest does not imply guilt and a full investigation will take place.

Link to Crown Prosecution Service UK law on this.

Conduct that was grossly negligent given the risk of death, and did kill ("gross negligence manslaughter")”

Edited by steveoath

1 hour ago, shrader said:

"Arrested on the suspicion of manslaughter"?  That's some curious wording, but I have no idea how their system works.  Does that automatically equate to him being charged?

It is a peculiar turn of phrase, but not unusual over here. The investigation is ongoing, but guilt must be proven in court. So currently they cannot come out and state that he has been arrested for manslaughter as guilt is implied before a trial has taken place.

have a read of this post by someone much more well versed in UK criminal law.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Funny how Matt Petgrave's name has been almost completely scrubbed off the internet, especially in continuing news stories of the arrest of a "man" who was arrested for ex-NHLer's skate blade death and released on bail. He is not named in any of these news stories, just identified as a "man." It's obvious it was Petgrave who was arrested. Why are they trying to hide his name?

Edited by Quint

10 minutes ago, Quint said:

Funny how Matt Petgrave's name has been almost completely scrubbed off the internet, especially in continuing news stories of the arrest of a "man" who was arrested for ex-NHLer's skate blade death and released on bail. He is not named in any of these news stories, just identified as a "man." It's obvious it was Petgrave who was arrested. Why are they trying to hide his name?

Because some countries have laws to protect the accused of their privacy.

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Quint said:

I noticed that too and thought it was really strange.  We all know the guy's name.  

Even more bizarre is how his home crowd applauded for him at his first appearance back (even tho he didn't play).  How can anyone cheer for this guy?  His reckless nonsense killed a man on the ice.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.