DOES ADAMS GET A GOALIE NOW?!

JoeSchmoe

22 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Columbus is looking to move Merzlikins. 

Elvis-UPL and let Levi develop in Rochester. It’s an option 

It's an unlikely option. UPL and Levi are our goalies. If Levi were to be sent down to Rochester, Comrie would move up. 

UPL and Levi have the goalie of record in 36 games, and have totaled 38 points.  Those 2 combined are playing at nearly an 87 point pace. Not playoff pace, not as good as last year...but it looks a bit better when you take out Comrie's 1 win and 5 losses.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You make a good point I hadn’t considered..

It's a point that you haven't been willing to accept. It's unlikely that KA is going to make a deal this year for another goalie for this team. If you think otherwise, you are betting on a humongous long-shot. 

42 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It's a point that you haven't been willing to accept. It's unlikely that KA is going to make a deal this year for another goalie for this team. If you think otherwise, you are betting on a humongous long-shot. 

You made the point that UPL and Levi are in fact the current goalies. That’s not a point. That’s an observation lol

The only way someone could not have been willing to accept that is if they literally were unaware of who was playing 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

You made the point that UPL and Levi are in fact the goalies. That’s not a point. That’s an observation lol

The only way someone could not have been willing to accept that is if they literally were unaware of who was playing 

You can play semantical gymnastics all you want.  UPL and Levi are in fact the goalies, and that is the point. . 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Even if my intent was to argue that Adams should upgrade (it wasn’t), the conversation is essentially:

“Hey, why don’t we see Scorsese’s new movie? Looks way better than Bay’s.”

and then your response is,

”We can’t see Scorsese’s movie, because Transformers is the movie we are seeing today”.

”but why don’t we go see The Departed?”

”We can’t, we’re seeing Transformers.”

- - - 

“We won’t be upgrading the goalies because UPL and Levi are the goalies.” You aren’t actually saying anything - not sure if you understand that that’s the aspect I was jesting at.

- - - 

As for the bolded segment - it’s also unfortunately a poor representation of my stance: anyone who reads my posts can see my argument regarding KA and the goaltending is that it defies logic to suggest he couldn’t have upgraded the position within the time frame of 4 seasons: the exact argument I bust out whenever the inevitable “who even was there?!1” comes up. Indeed, I understand an in-season move is very unlikely and have constantly said as much 

24 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You can play semantical gymnastics all you want.  UPL and Levi are in fact the goalies, and that is the point. . 

Bizarro world 

Also, rough day for people correctly understanding the meaning of “semantics” 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

UPL has started 3 games in a row.  He is looking more and more like the No. 1 goalie for this season.  Marty is even being nice about his game. 

Time to send Levi down to get game reps? Comrie has played well in his two starts in Rochester.  Might as well let him backup UPL.  You can still bring up Levi for periodic starts.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

UPL has started 3 games in a row.  He is looking more and more like the No. 1 goalie for this season.  Marty is even being nice about his game. 

Time to send Levi down to get game reps? Comrie has played well in his two starts in Rochester.  Might as well let him backup UPL.  You can still bring up Levi for periodic starts.

Comrie is terrible though. Unless we are giving up on the season, I’d keep the two best goalies 

The putrid approach to GT by Adams already has a hand in our likely 4th straight playoff miss (under his term), I’d rather it not cost us even more points if it’s finally coming together. Better late than never 

Edited by Thorny

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No. Even if Levi is surpassed by UPL for the 1A job, I would rather keep Levi on the roster as the backup than Comrie. The issue is simple: Who is the better goalie right now, Levi or Comrie? Levi is. Stay the course. 

56 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Comrie is terrible though. Unless we are giving up on the season, I’d keep the two best goalies 

The putrid approach to GT by Adams already has a hand in our likely 4th straight playoff miss (under his term), I’d rather it not cost us even more points if it’s finally coming together. Better late than never 

This season is done.  Ride UPL. Let him play 3 of 4.

The key is what is best for Levi’s development.  I’d say that’s being the No. 1 in Rochester and then playing in the AHL playoffs. 

The side benefit is you can showcase Comrie and if he plays well then maybe you can get something for him at the deadline.   

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This season is done.  Showcase Comrie and if he plays well then maybe you can get something for him at the deadline.   

The key is what is best for Levi’s development.  I’d say that’s being the No. 1 in Rochester and then playing in the AHL playoffs. 

I hear you, I just happen to think that that a big key to the development of the team, overall, is the prioritization of winning in the now term. I’d hate to back down from that as Focus and think it sends entirely the wrong message 

You may disenfranchise the somewhat older players in the name of prioritizing development yet again 

• Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No. Even if Levi is surpassed by UPL for the 1A job, I would rather keep Levi on the roster as the backup than Comrie. The issue is simple: Who is the better goalie right now, Levi or Comrie? Levi is. Stay the course. 

The issue is what is best for the Sabres long-term since this season is done.  

Make UPL the starter to see what you have.  Make Levi the starter in Rochester to maximize his reps and try to showcase Comrie some to see if someone will trade for him at the deadline.

• Agree 1

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Make UPL the starter to see what you have.  Make Levi the starter in Rochester to maximize his reps and try to showcase Comrie some to see if someone will trade for him at the deadline.

I still think what’s best for the Sabres long term is to spend every ounce of energy necessary in breaking the “losses are ok” mindset 

Play your best contributors this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree. This season isn't lost from a playoff standpoint. Granted, odds are challenging to make the playoffs. But they also existed last year until we finished with a flourish. For me, the issue is simple: Which player is better and will help you more in a playoff run. For me, easily it is Levi over Comrie. I think you are making a mistake in throwing in the towel so soon. There's still time although the margin of error is small. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I still think what’s best for the Sabres long term is to spend every ounce of energy necessary in breaking the “losses are ok” mindset 

Play your best contributors this year.

According to today’s broadcast the team has confidence in UPL. If that is the case, then make him the starter and play him 3 of 4 to try to do the best you can. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to today’s broadcast the team has confidence in UPL. If that is the case, then make him the starter and play him 3 of 4 to try to do the best you can. 

Maybe UPL plays better when he knows the other guy can actually put on pads facing the correct direction I dunno. Whenever Comrie is here we suck. 

I get you are saying “yes” (we do suck with Comrie) and “it’s better to help Levi out and send him down, though” and I see the argument if UPL truly is going to play 3/4 (which never seems to actually transpire so I’m not sold yet), but it would still feel icky to actively send down the better goalie 

the fact it might be the correct option is just a sad commentary on how the goaltending situation was configured for this season 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I respectfully but strenuously disagree. This season isn't lost from a playoff standpoint. Granted, odds are challenging to make the playoffs. But they also existed last year until we finished with a flourish. For me, the issue is simple: Which player is better and will help you more in a playoff run. For me, easily it is Levi over Comrie. I think you are making a mistake in throwing in the towel so soon. There's still time although the margin of error is small. 

The Sabres need 54 points in their remaining 38 games to chance.  That’s 25-9-4.  There is no way on G-d’s green Earth that this team performs even close to that level.  They haven’t even had a 3 game win streak.  I’m glad you hold out hope, but it’s just not realistic. 

My solutions gives max reps to both Levi and UPL, who are presumably the goalies for next season, while enhancing both the Amerks and Sabres chances to win this season.    

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.