GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - October 14, 2023 - 7:30PM, MSG-B/MSGSN/ESPN+📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Mittelstadt was pegged to him at the start of last year and looked just as lost as Cozens does now. Once Mittelstadt broke free he surprised everyone. 

It helps to have line mates that support puck possession. But Olofsson isn't the main problem with Cozens. Bad passes, both in the D & O zones, panicking with the puck under pressure, not moving the legs to create or get to open ice. Cozens looks legit terrible. Same with all of line 1.

That's a lot of money tied up in those players that aren't showing up to give it 100% every game. Both the Islanders and the Rangers came to play, most of the Sabres roster did not. I remember some on here poking at my comment on the off-season building good habits. Well, it's abundantly clear now why I stated that, and it's on display for all to see.IMHO. shouldn't be waiting for the regular season, that should be pushed all off seadon. That is on the coaching staff as well as the players, imho.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Way way way to early to draw any conclusions 

I been watching the Sabres for over 50 years. Never missed a single game....

All this team needs now is the dig in make some minor tweaks and it will all come together.

The Sabres have speed skill and depth ... eventually they will blow teams away....book it

Edited by Shoot da Puck
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

Way way way to early to draw any conclusions 

I been watching the Sabres for over 50 years. Never missed a single game....

All this team needs now is the dig in make some minor tweaks and it will all come together.

The Sabres have speed skill and depth ... eventually they will blow teams away....book it

I've been watching the Sabres for less than a year, and have missed many games--and I agree with you completely.

I see a team out there that looks quicker than most teams they play, passes cleaner, and creates more chaos in front of the opposing teams net.

I've been a Bills fan since Jimbo started running the k-gun offense, so I've seen my share of disastrous Buffalo teams with more hype than hope, but this Sabres team doesn't strike me as such. I tuned in last winter after the Bills broke my heart for the millionth time vs Cincy in the playoffs, and was instantly blown away by the speed and effort put forth by this hockey team. 

I completely understand that there are fans here that have been watching for a long time and are as jaded about this team ending their drought as I was about the Bills ever ending theirs, and I sympathize with them completely, but last night I watched the Sabres outplay the Islanders for 60 minutes. Yes, they lost--over an 82 game season, that will happen. But there is no way this team won't make the playoffs if they play like that every night--luck evens out, teams even out, and this will click for Buf sooner rather than later.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I would say the Sabres need a veteran goal tender, bring Levi on slowly. They are putting to much pressure on this kid. That's my tweek.

I also want to say I agree with this.

Not sure if "trial by fire" is the best approach when the rest of the team seems ready to go right now, but I do appreciate that there is a ton of upside here.

And, FWIW, he seemed to calm down after the first last night and played a hell of a game from then in. 

If he gets going, look out

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, freester said:

I think Okposo needs to sit and Krebs needs to play with Cozens and Peterka. Move VO down to 4th line. 

The question in my mind is if Granato will make ANY changes in the lineup.  He'd better not mess with the Mitts line, but the Thompson and Cozens lines are both lacking intensity IMHO.  I'd prefer to move Krebs up as well, but feel VO should sit and put Jost in

57 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

It helps to have line mates that support puck possession. But Olofsson isn't the main problem with Cozens. Bad passes, both in the D & O zones, panicking with the puck under pressure, not moving the legs to create or get to open ice. Cozens looks legit terrible. Same with all of line 1.

That's a lot of money tied up in those players that aren't showing up to give it 100% every game. Both the Islanders and the Rangers came to play, most of the Sabres roster did not. I remember some on here poking at my comment on the off-season building good habits. Well, it's abundantly clear now why I stated that, and it's on display for all to see.IMHO. shouldn't be waiting for the regular season, that should be pushed all off seadon. That is on the coaching staff as well as the players, imho.

You're rolling in with "see I was right!" After 2 games of an 80 game season?

Awkward Kenan Thompson GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BearWithME said:

I've been watching the Sabres for less than a year, and have missed many games--and I agree with you completely.

I see a team out there that looks quicker than most teams they play, passes cleaner, and creates more chaos in front of the opposing teams net.

I've been a Bills fan since Jimbo started running the k-gun offense, so I've seen my share of disastrous Buffalo teams with more hype than hope, but this Sabres team doesn't strike me as such. I tuned in last winter after the Bills broke my heart for the millionth time vs Cincy in the playoffs, and was instantly blown away by the speed and effort put forth by this hockey team. 

I completely understand that there are fans here that have been watching for a long time and are as jaded about this team ending their drought as I was about the Bills ever ending theirs, and I sympathize with them completely, but last night I watched the Sabres outplay the Islanders for 60 minutes. Yes, they lost--over an 82 game season, that will happen. But there is no way this team won't make the playoffs if they play like that every night--luck evens out, teams even out, and this will click for Buf sooner rather than later.

I'm with you. Obviously some things to clean up and some players need to get things going but, I'd much rather be the Sabres than the Islanders. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I would say the Sabres need a veteran goal tender, bring Levi on slowly. They are putting to much pressure on this kid. That's my tweek.

I would agree, but assumed they would have done this over the past offseason.  I was somewhat surprised they went with the same 3 guys. I think Levi will be great as his career goes on. But right not they need the big save late and a guy that can steal a game once in a while. 

8 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

You completely ignored the context...."shouldn't wait until the season starts", which is what I eluded to in September.

I think some players can't sharpen their skates so to speak, without live game action. I think the mistake was not using 3 preseason games to ice the full roster and shake the rust off. 

• Agree 7

I think the most central issue is defensive effort a) for the forwards on back checking and b) understanding of how to play defense for certain of our defensive players. Have to pick up players in the offensive zone instead of standing there watching the puck. 

Look at the Islanders. Even on the Greenway goal they were still fighting to back check. We need that effort. 

obviously gave up a bad goal when Clifton fell. Just got to be stronger there. 

But our first line has to start to play tougher and start to score. Tage doesn’t look near as locked in as he did last year. Hopefully he has his head on straight. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.