GDT: Sabres V Bluejackets 3pm ET 📺 sabres.com 📻 WGR550

steveoath

Watch: Sabres.com (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray)

Listen: WGR 550 (Dan Dunleavy and Rob Ray)

I’ll be getting my VPN on for this. The Mike Babcock era is over. What next for the bluejackets? 

last chance saloon for some of the fringe guys to stay on the roster I believe cuts are happening on Sunday/Monday. 

Go Sabres

Mike’s Weird

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

It was already announced that Levi is playing the whole game yesterday ahead of the roster moves.

I'll be curious who else gets the nod. Do we finally see Tuch, Okposo, Erik Johnson or Clifton? 

Have to figure this is the last game for many of the remaining bubble players before they get returned to Rochester. So maybe we'll still be seeing a lot of the prospects than something resembling the final roster.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting. Shouldn’t read into things, but I’d guess Biro, Benson, Johnson and Stillman are being rewarded or given a good look over at least. Be crazy if Biro moves ahead of Kulich and Rosen. He’s older I think. 

Question: If Benson stays and plays off and on for half a season, could he then be sent to Rochester around New Years? 

I don't think he can be sent to Rochester until his Juniors requirements are met (games/age) or he gets an exemption. The number of games in the NHL don't matter as far as I know. Otherwise teams would probably have done something like that before now.

Games in the NHL only matter in terms of "burning" a year of eligibility. Fewer than 10 and it doesn't kick in. I think there is also some rule about total games played so you can't do back to back 9 game seasons without it counting the 2nd time.

Edited by SabresBaltimore
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Only thing surprising about that roster is that they’re still giving Cecconi and Davies a shot.

The forwards are a very interesting group. Looks like the 5 most likely candidates (benson, Biro, Kulich, Rosen and Rousek for the last 2 spots on the roster.

And my god, are they giving Johnson and Benson a hard look. They each played 3 games in 4 nights for prospects tourney and I think they’re each playing their 4th in 7 nights tonight. That’s 7 games in two weeks with a lot of hard practices mixed in. Donnie definitely wants to see what he has.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Interesting. Shouldn’t read into things, but I’d guess Biro, Benson, Johnson and Stillman are being rewarded or given a good look over at least. Be crazy if Biro moves ahead of Kulich and Rosen. He’s older I think. 

Question: If Benson stays and plays off and on for half a season, could he then be sent to Rochester around New Years? 

No. Players who are not 20 on or by Dec 31st and from the CHL are not eligible to be sent to AHL while their CHL season is ongoing. The only exception is if you have 4 accrued CHL seasons, then you can. Benson does not qualify. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Only thing surprising about that roster is that they’re still giving Cecconi and Davies a shot.

The forwards are a very interesting group. Looks like the 5 most likely candidates (benson, Biro, Kulich, Rosen and Rousek for the last 2 spots on the roster.

And my god, are they giving Johnson and Benson a hard look. They each played 3 games in 4 nights for prospects tourney and I think they’re each playing their 4th in 7 nights tonight. That’s 7 games in two weeks with a lot of hard practices mixed in. Donnie definitely wants to see what he has.

I don't think they are, they are just figuring out the depth chart with them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If this doesn't look like the game to finish the D depth chart, idk what is. 

Stillman, Johnson, Bryson and Clague have been playing about as much as the schedule allows, while the actual top 6 have played 4 games combined, 5 after tonight.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Stillman, Johnson, Bryson and Clague have been playing about as much as the schedule allows, while the actual top 6 have played 4 games combined, 5 after tonight.

Yup, trying to see who rises to the top and who sinks. 

Personally that order is Johnson,  Stillman, Metsa (ik), clague, 300 level stale beer, LA nova arena pizza, Bryson

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

Unless Clifton and EJ are banged up I have no idea why they haven’t played a single game yet. Both new to the team and system you would think they would want to see them in Atleast one game at this point.

Im glad people are finally coming around on Ryan Johnson. He was a big signing and he will be a longtime piece on the backend. His skating and brain will allow him to play a long time in the league. 

Like to see Biro play well again today. He has outplayed Rousek to this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SabresBaltimore said:

Tuch/Okposos finally playing a game.

My guess at lines:

Skinner - Thompson - Benson
Olofsson - Cozens - Tuch
Biro - Kulich - Rosen
Rousek - Krebs - Okposo

Bryson - Johnson
Stillman - Jokiharju
Davies - Cecconi

Although I could see them putting Biro with Cozens/Tuch instead.

Expecting the lines you set up are correct.  But am wondering if they don't have Johnson and Jokiharju a pairing with Bryson and Stillman the other one.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Looks like they’ve updated heights and weights.

Rousek is now a 200-pounder, as is Cozens.

Kulich a sturdy 6’1, 186.

And how about Rosen at 6’0” 173? Isn’t that like 2 inches and 15 pounds since he was drafted?

Rosen is noticably bigger than he was last year in Ra-cha-cha.  Doesn't even look like the same guy; probably because he's not.  Am not hating that pick as much as when they made it but still would've rather seen them use it for a goalie (but that might've kept Levi from signing so guess it's all working out).

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Unless Clifton and EJ are banged up I have no idea why they haven’t played a single game yet. Both new to the team and system you would think they would want to see them in Atleast one game at this point.

Paul Hamilton asked about that:

Being new to the team, it takes time to get to know the system and the other players on the ice. Clifton thought there was a better way to do that.

"Honestly [Don Granato] asked, and I only wanted to play a couple. It was more productive for me to get into practice, get reps, and learn the systems before I jump out there for a little preseason live action," said Clifton following Friday's practice. "But yes, I’m itching. The more games you watch, the more you want to be in, but soon enough."

When it comes to veteran players, Granato makes it his business to find out exactly what they need to get ready. The Sabres head coach felt Clifton and Erik Johnson are in the same category, as neither has played yet in a preseason game,

"They know what they need to get ready for a NHL season, and if they feel two games is enough, then it’s enough," said Granato following Friday's practice.

"The other side is that the practices, the number of reps they get of system motions and movements in practice, far exceeds what you’re going to get in a game. There's tons more reps, and they’ve liked the practices and they’ve extracted that out of practice. And then the communication, they’re getting a rep and then 30 seconds later, they’re getting another rep and another rep. And every time they’re communicating back with their defensive partner and that scenario that just happened, they value that most."

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

But am wondering if they don't have Johnson and Jokiharju a pairing with Bryson and Stillman the other one

Maybe. The main reason I put Johnson and Byrson together is they've been playing together most (all?) the games they've played. But I could buy the Joki pairing to see if Johnson edges himself ahead of Stillman further.

I just don't see them putting Johnson on bottom pair this season unless they move Jokiharju. Even with how well he's played, I have him at #7 on the depth chart, and Stillman as #8, but I suspect Stillman and maybe Bryson make the team and Johnson goes to Rochester to get top pair minutes unless we need a call up.

Between how well Benson is playing and how underwhelming Bryson has been, I could see us carrying just 7 defenseman instead of 8 just to keep either a 3rd goalie (hope not) or an extra forward. I don't think Biro clears waivers, so I have both of them staying in Buffalo for the time being. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. Players who are not 20 on or by Dec 31st and from the CHL are not eligible to be sent to AHL while their CHL season is ongoing. The only exception is if you have 4 accrued CHL seasons, then you can. Benson does not qualify. 

I don't think they are, they are just figuring out the depth chart with them.

I don’t believe he qualifies next year or the year after since his birthday is May and he has zero CHL seasons. He’ll make the roster before he has AHL eligibility.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.