Best Vacation Destination a Tank of Gas or Less from Buffalo

JoeSchmoe

9 hours ago, Night Train said:

Columbus has one of the best zoo's/aquariums on earth. Place is amazing. Takes 2 days minimum. 

Talking about Columbus , hard to believe a team that finished 2nd last has been so pro-active this summer while Adams has basically sat on his hands on done nothing.  Not sure how anyone can be optimistic going into this season.  🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

I randomly decided to put together a last minute road trip at the end of August, two nights in the 1000 Islands and then two nights in Ottawa. Do you have any other recommendations in Ottawa? 

It's very walkable, I sauntered the canals down to the walk along the water, take that over to the Byward Market. Have a meal at the Elgin st Diner. 

There's an amazing Lebanese takeout place called spice kitchen, small menu but some of the best I've ever eaten, it's in a hidden door in a warehouse and you order online, I go every time I'm there and they guys are awesome and so kind. 

As you can tell, I like food 😂

Carbide Wilson hike is pretty and then there are just so many little hikes around Gatineau, once you cross from Ottawa proper, you cross the bridge into Gatineau and it goes from Ontario to Quebec Provence, kinda cool how it changes. 

12 hours ago, Night Train said:

Columbus has one of the best zoo's/aquariums on earth. Place is amazing. Takes 2 days minimum. 

Plus Jenis Ice cream, which is some of the best I've ever eaten. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Night Train said:

Thanks for the heads up. Might have to take a roadie there next summer when my granddaughter is a little bigger.  

Edited by LabattBlue

The beach in Erie, PA and a joy ride down I79 to Pittsburgh for an early fall Penguin, Stiller and Pirate (probably not .. lol) trifecta.  Driving through the Fort Pit Tunnel and emerging in downtown is an awesome sight.  Pretty sure you can get there on a tank of gas.

Many nice parts of southern Ontario (especially south west - lake Erie area) is nice if you want to cross the boarder.

You could fly to Halifax on less than a tank and I hightly recommend it.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The beach in Erie, PA and a joy ride down I79 to Pittsburgh for an early fall Penguin, Stiller and Pirate (probably not .. lol) trifecta.  Driving through the Fort Pit Tunnel and emerging in downtown is an awesome sight.  Pretty sure you can get there on a tank of gas.

Many nice parts of southern Ontario (especially south west - lake Erie area) is nice if you want to cross the boarder.

You could fly to Halifax on less than a tank and I hightly recommend it.

What's the average price of gasoline in Canada? Just curious. 

13 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Talking about Columbus , hard to believe a team that finished 2nd last has been so pro-active this summer while Adams has basically sat on his hands on done nothing.  Not sure how anyone can be optimistic going into this season.  🤷‍♂️

Yup. Last year, it was Ottawa and Detroit. They "won" the off-season with big signings and just buried us in the standings...um...wait..

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

With the conversion of Litres to Gallons ….

The average price of regular unleaded gas in Ontario Canada as of yesterday is $6.23 per gallon.

NY State is $3.75 per gallon.

• Shocked 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

With the conversion of Litres to Gallons ….

The average price of regular unleaded gas in Ontario Canada as of yesterday is $6.23 per gallon.

NY State is $3.75 per gallon.

Did you convert the currency?  I believe gas prices here in Burlington are about $1.65 / litre

which would convert to $5.87 /gallon in Canadian 

in US$ it’s $4.38 per gallon

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Did you convert the currency?  I believe gas prices here in Burlington are about $1.65 / litre

which would convert to $5.87 /gallon in Canadian 

in US$ it’s $4.38 per gallon

Good point about the Canadian to American money conversion.

I took what I found on a website about gas prices on average that were recorded yesterday for Ontario. And in liters. I multiplied that by 3.7 L which equals 1 gallon. so for me that conversion came to $6.23 per gallon. And yes that would be in Canadian money.

I then found a website that records average gas prices for New York State. I think that data  it was only a few days old. And that was $3.75 in American money. So yes, I forgot to do the conversion. I overlooked that.

you obviously found different numbers… So be it. 👍🏼

The overall point whether it be my numbers or your numbers is… Ontario pays much more per gallon than New York State.

obviously you can get into all kinds of wormhole/completely off-topic reasons why that is…. And I certainly am not interested at all in discussing that here. And I bet absolutely no one is interested in reading it either. Because that is not what the question was and that’s not the overall point anyway. 👍🏼

49 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Good point about the Canadian to American money conversion.

I took what I found on a website about gas prices on average that were recorded yesterday for Ontario. And in liters. I multiplied that by 3.7 L which equals 1 gallon. so for me that conversion came to $6.23 per gallon. And yes that would be in Canadian money.

I then found a website that records average gas prices for New York State. I think that data  it was only a few days old. And that was $3.75 in American money. So yes, I forgot to do the conversion. I overlooked that.

you obviously found different numbers… So be it. 👍🏼

The overall point whether it be my numbers or your numbers is… Ontario pays much more per gallon than New York State.

obviously you can get into all kinds of wormhole/completely off-topic reasons why that is…. And I certainly am not interested at all in discussing that here. And I bet absolutely no one is interested in reading it either. Because that is not what the question was and that’s not the overall point anyway. 👍🏼

Yea I believe gas prices can fluctuate widely within Ontario.  I believe the closer to the border the cheaper gas prices are  Niagara Falls is about $1.61 right now, Burlington $1.63 and a place like Timmins it’s over $1.70.  Expensive no matter how you look at it.  

Price difference is due to taxes   Is it worth it ?  Do we get value from all those extra tax $$.  That’s the billion $ question I suppose 

21 hours ago, matter2003 said:

I'm partial to the Finger Lakes wine trail that runs between Geneva and Watkins-Glen. Super cool area with Corning only about 45 mins away from Watkins-Glen.

Love this area.  The annual wine festival at Watkins Glenn racetrack is an awesome time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Greetings from my best spot a tank of gas away from Buffalo. This is the Castle Rock summit near Blue Mountain Lake. We love the less populated areas of the Adirondacks like the Central/Southern area we're in right now. As someone from Ontario, I describe it as being like Muskoka was 50 years ago before the rich Toronto people took over... Except there's mountains.

IMG_20230809_224837.thumb.jpg.bfb76c18e8534b852a9c620a251a5350.jpg

Edited by JoeSchmoe
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I will plug all of the finger lakes towns as well. Geneva, Watkins Glen, Canandaigua, Ithaca, and Sylvan Beach on Oneida. 

All of the above are enhanced by the local wine and beer options.
If that’s not your thing, you can still wake up to sunrises or enjoy sunsets to the sound of water. Very relaxing.
All of these places you can accidentally go to bed with your shoes on because you’ve been over served…if you’re into that sort of thing (which I am). 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, JohnC said:

In Halifax and all of NS the price at the pump is regulated.  Right now it is $1.88 / litre for regular gas.  4 litres equals 1 US gallon, so about $7.50 per US gallon.  Converted that is about $5.75 US per US gallon.

On 8/9/2023 at 11:11 AM, Weave said:

They use different units so it is hard to compare.  It is like 87 sheckles per hogshead, or something like that.

This is the most accurate and technically correct price calculation.  It is what the UARB use to determine the price here in NS, but then they convert that to dollars and cents per litre. 

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

In Halifax and all of NS the price at the pump is regulated.  Right now it is $1.88 / litre for regular gas.  4 litres equals 1 US gallon, so about $7.50 per US gallon.  Converted that is about $5.75 US per US gallon.

This is the most accurate and technically correct price calculation.  It is what the UARB use to determine the price here in NS, but then they convert that to dollars and cents per litre. 

Thanks for the information. Just curious. You said that the price at the pump is regulated. Is it regulated by the providence or the central government?

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thanks for the information. Just curious. You said that the price at the pump is regulated. Is it regulated by the providence or the central government?

Regulation is by the Utility And Review Board (UARB) an independent (supposedly) board that regulates the price of gas and has final approval of rates for electricity and such.  The insurance (car and home) industry is regulated in NS too.

In reality it is the regulatory branch of the provincial government.  We (taxpayers) pay for it all.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.