Favorite Sabres Trades

Taro T

On 7/16/2023 at 7:09 AM, Weave said:

I loved the Chris Gratton trade.  A 3rd and 4th line center for a big, dynamic, physical 2nd line center to counter Lindros and Holik.  Seemed to be just what the Sabres needed.

Unfortunately, THAT Chris Gratton never quite materialized.

but we flipped him for Briere which to me was worth it. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

OK, I’m reading this as purely emotional, as opposed to the “best” trades.

I think I’ve always had a bias for “Sabres” so in the moment when a homegrown guy gets traded I usually feel more disappointed that they failed, than excited about the new guys coming in.

A huge exception was the Hawerchuk trade. Housley was never a favourite and Dale may have been my favourite non-Sabre. Absolutely loved that guy as a Jet, and loved him here too. Probably my favourite all-time Sabre who isn’t thought of primarily as a Sabre. The fact we also got Brad May in that deal cements it. Big fan of him as a prospect and a player.

To play devil's advocate, although we got May we missed getting Keith Tkachuk in that trade since the Jets used our pick to draft him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

To play devil's advocate, although we got May we missed getting Keith Tkachuk in that trade since the Jets used our pick to draft him. 

Yes and Keith Tkachuk was the epitome of a Masshole. 😁

It's about favourite trades, not best trades.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

It wasn't Juneau per se. It was the idea of it.

Yep. Similar to when they acquired Zubris in '07. I loved that one. Looking back, though, considering he also left during that free agency bloodletting, the price may have been a bit too steep, but at least they were going for it.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Yep. Similar to when they acquired Zubris in '07. I loved that one. Looking back, though, considering he also left during that free agency bloodletting, the price may have been a bit too steep, but at least they were going for it.

It was thrilling. As was draft day 2015. Cardie B. wrote a song about Kevyn Adams.

On 7/16/2023 at 1:09 PM, Weave said:

I loved the Chris Gratton trade.  A 3rd and 4th line center for a big, dynamic, physical 2nd line center to counter Lindros and Holik.  Seemed to be just what the Sabres needed.

Unfortunately, THAT Chris Gratton never quite materialized.

Yeah, I was pumped for that trade too, but what a disappointment he turned out to be.

And he turned into one of MY favorite trades - Gratton for Danny Briere. Man, when Darcy was on, he was ON.

• Like (+1) 2

Not a trade really and I am not sure where to put this .. draft  ??  Signing ??

Rick J.

Happy Birthday Ricky.  We miss you.

And in my best Freddie .. 'We love you' !!

I think I may be a day early, but a very wise poet wrote that .. 'the future is unwritten'.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Not a trade really and I am not sure where to put this .. draft  ??  Signing ??

Rick J.

Happy Birthday Ricky.  We miss you.

And in my best Freddie .. 'We love you' !!

I think I may be a day early, but a very wise poet wrote that .. 'the future is unwritten'.  I don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Wiki has his bday as tomorrow. I still love this post especially for the romanticism and mystery of the future. We are a soul less and joyless fan base now because we think we know the future. Now now settle down... It's not quite time... Maybe the year after next.

I call BS and I know you do too. That the franchise wants the fans to feel this way makes me super duper suspicious.

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Wiki has his bday as tomorrow. I still love this post especially for the romanticism and mystery of the future. We are a soul less and joyless fan base now because we think we know the future. Now now settle down... It's not quite time... Maybe the year after next.

I call BS and I know you do too. That the franchise wants the fans to feel this way makes me super duper suspicious.

That's an interesting and sweeping take.

I think we're an extremely soulful and bruised fanbase divided between those eager to embrace reasons for joy and those reluctant to do so because they've been fooled before.

• Like (+1) 1

It's interesting. When we traded Eichel, Risto and Reinhart, the Reinhart return easily seemed the most disappointing- a late 1st rounder and a "too small", 7th round goalie. And yet we ended up with Kulich, who far outplayed his draft position in his 1st AHL season, and Levi, a kid who quite possibly is our long-term solution in goal. Now that return looks not just good, but potentially great. Ya never know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.