The Sabres and the Goalie market

GASabresIUFAN

Is KA still looking for goaltending help?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will be our goalies when the season starts?

• Levi, UPL and Comrie will all be on the roster to start the season
    • Levi and Comrie will be on the roster to start the season. UPL will be traded when he loses the backup job in camp.
    • Levi and UPL will be on the roster to start the season. Comrie will be traded when he loses the backup job in camp.
    • Levi and Tokarski will be on the roster to start the season. Comrie will waived and clear to start in Rochester while UPL will be traded.
    • KA trades for good to high end starter like Hellebuyck, Saros or Hart to pair and mentor Levi
    • KA trades for one of the top RFA goalies after their arbitration hearings.
    • KA, disappointed with Comrie and UPL in camp, trades for Gibson.
    • Other

1 minute ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

I think the Sabres figure the goalies are going to look a lot better with a proper and deep defense in front of them….

I tend to agree…

I think Comrie and UPL aren’t close to good enough for a playoff team.  KA needs to find a better solution, but not many solutions left to acquire.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

A better goalie will take care of the problem even more. 

Thank you.

Goalie is the only position people continually talk about improving by improving other positions. No one talks about the other positions this way. It’s actually ok to roster a good player or 2. You don’t merely need to be content with bumping up poor goaltending into mediocre through additions elsewhere. You actually can look to supply good goaltending outright 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think Comrie and UPL aren’t close to good enough for a playoff team.  KA needs to find a better solution, but not many solutions left to acquire.

A broken record. The time frame is 4 seasons, there’s simply no room for excuses anymore 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jarry re-signs in Pitt.  Varlamov is the best available UFA.  Hellebuyck still best available but not enough term for KA.  

Just wondering: who is left for Hellebuyck?  Has he priced himself out of a trade from Winnipeg?

He wants a longterm big $ deal.  At this point I don’t see anyone making a move for him unless it’s a crap team like Chicago.  I don’t see us trading for him unless Wpg gives us him for nothing as a 1 yr rental.

Sorokin just re-signed for 8 years at 8.25.  That is also going to put a limit on Hellebuyck contract and I doubt anyone going 8 years for a 29 year old goalie.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Varlamov has officially re-signed.  There are no longer any goalies on the FA market worth signing unless KA is willing to make an offer sheet for Swayman.  That’s not happening.  

While I’m perfectly happy with the 2 D signings.  Not getting a goalie is a huge mistake.  While a trade is still possible, I don’t see KA as willing to part with any key assets to get it done.  The better D will help bring down the goals against some, but will it save us the 30 - 40 goals needed for us to be a legit playoff team.  This mistake will be magnified if Levi isn’t ready or gets hurt.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Varlamov has officially re-signed.  There are no longer any goalies on the FA market worth signing unless KA is willing to make an offer sheet for Swayman.  That’s not happening.  

While I’m perfectly happy with the 2 D signings.  Not getting a goalie is a huge mistake.  While a trade is still possible, I don’t see KA as willing to part with any key assets to get it done.  The better D will help bring down the goals against some, but will it save us the 30 - 40 goals needed for us to be a legit playoff team.  This mistake will be magnified if Levi isn’t read or gets hurt.

I haven't entirely given up on a trade for Hellebuyck. The price would have to be something KA is comfortable with for a one-year rental.

30 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I’m perfectly happy with the 2 D signings.  Not getting a goalie is a huge mistake.  While a trade is still possible, I don’t see KA as willing to part with any key assets to get it done.  The better D will help bring down the goals against some, but will it save us the 30 - 40 goals needed for us to be a legit playoff team.  This mistake will be magnified if Levi isn’t read or gets hurt.

So Adams has a press conference where he said they are not getting a goalie?

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

So Adams has a press conference where he said they are not getting a goalie?

No, but in his pressers he repeatedly mention D upgrades and in recent weeks he hasn’t addressed adding a goalie.  I’m not saying he won’t make a trade, but the odds have decreased significantly of getting adequate goaltending help.

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Levi is going to make the goalie issue moot

This just isn’t accurate. The President’s Trophy winners iced the vezina winning goalie and *still* heavily relied on Swayman. 

Rookie Devon Levi doesn’t make the second goalie issue for the Buffalo Sabres moot. Not even close 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think even with Cerberus in goal, the Sabres will make the playoffs.  If they are in good position in the standings, maybe Kevyn does a deadline deal to get playoff experience in goal.

There's no reason to hit the doomsday button yet. The FA market was always going to be a feeding frenzy. If you thought KA was going to get into a bidding war for the few established goalies on the market, you haven't been paying attention. The season is still over 100 days away. Once the dust settles on FA, there is plenty of time, and we have plenty of desirable ammo for a trade. If we're approaching camp with no new bodies, then complain...I'll probably join ya.

17 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think its a good idea to give Levi the reins yet.  He is too young.  A vet goalie should of been a priority. 

My problem is if Levi gets injured. Almost all the UFA goalies signed back with their teams. Carolina brought both Andersen and Raanta back.

Still don’t know what the Leafs are doing. Murray is still there, they haven’t signed Samsonov and Woll should be the backup at $800,000

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.