2023 NHL Awards tonight (June 26). TNT, SportsNet, and TVAS.

Eleven

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

And about 10 of the voters didn't have Power in the top 5 either.

Playing through that injury right around the ASG really knocked him down the board.  Hoping he takes that personally.  As good as last year was for him, expecting this to be his breakout year.

8th too low 

Just now, Thorny said:

8th too low 

Absolutely.  And had he not played through that injury where he didn't really score at all for about 4 weeks he'd've been top 5 minimum.

As stated above, hope he takes it personally and comes out with a Thurman Thomas style chip on his shoulder.  He doesn't need it, but man, watching him play 82+ games ticked off could be a lot of fun.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Absolutely.  And had he not played through that injury where he didn't really score at all for about 4 weeks he'd've been top 5 minimum.

As stated above, hope he takes it personally and comes out with a Thurman Thomas style chip on his shoulder.  He doesn't need it, but man, watching him play 82+ games ticked off could be a lot of fun.

I know but I’m saying he should have been 4-5th regardless 

Had he not slowed down at all he was easily 2nd 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I know but I’m saying he should have been 4-5th regardless 

Had he not slowed down at all he was easily 2nd 

Well, he should've been 3rd at worst regardless.  And am biased, but believe he should've won anyhow.  But had he gone on the shelf for 3 weeks instead of having no appreciable counting stats for about 4 week he would've been top 4 definitely.

13 hours ago, Eleven said:

Power really should have won--he is better than Beniers and Wrong Skinner--but let's also keep in mind that Myers won the thing.  

OK.  So reruns of Law and Order it is!  

I'm pretty confident in saying that if Levi puts up Skinner numbers, 50 games, 29 wins..., not only will Sabre fans expect ROY, but MVP consideration as well. Skinner had a tremendous season for a rookie goalie. No shame in Power finishing 3rd, and he got better every game he played as the season wore on. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

I'm pretty confident in saying that if Levi puts up Skinner numbers, 50 games, 29 wins..., not only will Sabre fans expect ROY, but MVP consideration as well. Skinner had a tremendous season for a rookie goalie. No shame in Power finishing 3rd, and he got better every game he played as the season wore on. 

Don't you get rational with me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Although an argument could be made for Power to have won, Beniers and Skinner also had excellent seasons and were deserving.  Dahlin finishing 8th was pretty bad.  If NHL GM's could rank the defensemen as to which one they'd want on their roster right now, I suspect that Dahlin would be in the top 3 for all of them.  I think that Makar and Dahlin would be the top 2 on almost every ranking.  Makar has shown a little bit more to date, but he's also played on a much better team.  I suspect that as the Sabres improve and ascend, that Dahlin's numbers will get even better and he'll stand out more.  I'm very happy with the trajectory of the Sabres, but they still are a non-playoff team until they make the playoffs, so that impacts the perception of their players on a league-wide basis.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.