What Does KA have to accomplish for this off-season to be considered a success?

GASabresIUFAN

1.  Get a solid top 4 to play with Power.

2. Extend Dahlin, 8 x $10 million seems about right. If KA gets him under $10 mil than that's a bonus.

3. I'm only giving Power a 3 year bridge if he wants to sign this off-season.  I'd rather pay a little more on a long term contract after he has played several years.  Everyone remembers Myers had a great rookie year as well.  Also wanting Skinner's contract to fall off books before I give Power big contract. The other reason is it keeps Power under contract until he is 32, instead of becoming an UFA at age 29. 

4. One rugged forward in free agency like, Hathaway, Acciari, Wood, Engvall, Kampf, Bjugstad, Ritchie, or Nosek who can play 3rd or 4th line minutes.

5. Another big physical defenseman to push Stillman for 6ht d, and puts Bryson and Clague in minors.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

2. Extend Dahlin, 8 x $10 million seems about right. If KA gets him under $10 mil than that's a bonus.

3. I'm only giving Power a 3 year bridge if he wants to sign this off-season.  I'd rather pay a little more on a long term contract after he has played several years.  Everyone remembers Myers had a great rookie year as well.  Also wanting Skinner's contract to fall off books before I give Power big contract. The other reason is it keeps Power under contract until he is 32, instead of becoming an UFA at age 29. 

4. One rugged forward in free agency like, Hathaway, Acciari, Wood, Engvall, Kampf, Bjugstad, Ritchie, or Nosek who can play 3rd or 4th line minutes.

5. Another big physical defenseman to push Stillman for 6ht d, and puts Bryson and Clague in minors.

If Power continues to improve, it won’t be a “little more” in his next contract if you bridge him now. Just an FYI.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

It would be a mistake to bridge Power he's going to cost a ton next contract 

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

It would be a mistake to bridge Power he's going to cost a ton next contract 

Power is the person who would want to be bridged. He will then get a ton of $$$ on his next contract because that will be his market value. The cost of business is the cost of business. He will be following the Dahlin model. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Power is the person who would want to be bridged. He will then get a ton of $$$ on his next contract because that will be his market value. The cost of business is the cost of business. He will be following the Dahlin model. 

I'd rather give him $6 million on 3 year bridge,  then extend him for 8 years at $10 million.

If you go the 8 year $8 million route now, you may end up giving him another 8 year $13 million when he is 29 years old and wants another extension. No thanks!!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'd rather give him $6 million on 3 year bridge,  then extend him for 8 years at $10 million.

If you go the 8 year $8 million route now, you may end up giving him another 8 year $13 million when he is 29 years old and wants another extension. No thanks!!

2 things. First is it won't cost 10mil to extend him now and I even think 8mil is probably a touch high. Second, there is a very real possibility that if you bridge that 10mil number is wrong and you are talking 12-13mil for an 8 year deal 4 years from now. The cap will go up, it is artificially low and Seattle revenue is all getting dumped in the pot. If Power settles in as a Norris candidate who gives you 50-60pts a season and is 6'6"... Idk what the math looks like in 2027 on that new deal. 

IMO, I would give Power either a 1yr extension just sign him this summer for 8yrs. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Does the bridge option still work in your opinion if in 4 years you're paying Power $13-14MM/year for the next 7-8 years?  If so, carry on.  If not, you might not want him to take a short bridge deal.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:36 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes it is possible with the most likely scenario being he starts the year in Rochester and gets recalled when an injury strikes in Buffalo. 

That said is anyone really comfortable with any of these scenarios heading into next season? 1. Levi/UPL tandem (53 games of NHL experience), 2. Levi/Comrie tandem (54 games of NHL experience)  3. UPL/Comrie (93 games), 4. levi/Comrie/UPL (100 games).  PS: In UPL’s and Comrie’s combined 93 games they carry a Save % of .898.

Yes I am comfortable with Levi playing 60 games. 

For what it’s worth Friedman was asked what teams he expects to aggressively pursue upgrades over the draft/free agency period.

He said: Detroit, St. Louis, Ottawa, Winnipeg (they want to reset not rebuild) and Buffalo.

Also, Max Comtois probably not being qualified. A youngish player I used to like who has sucked.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

The sooner you get him to a long-term deal the better it will be for the organization from a financial standpoint. He's very good now. It's not much of a challenge to project him to become one of the best defensemen in the league. He will soon become a stud player for us. From the player's standpoint getting a bridge deal makes a lot of sense because his play will be more developed, and the cap will rise. I wouldn't be surprised if he took the same bridge route that Dahlin took. 

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

For what it’s worth Friedman was asked what teams he expects to aggressively pursue upgrades over the draft/free agency period.

He said: Detroit, St. Louis, Ottawa, Winnipeg (they want to reset not rebuild) and Buffalo.

Also, Max Comtois probably not being qualified. A youngish player I used to like who has sucked.

Man, one of my "acceptable" Eichel trade returns was Comtois, Gibson, and 3rd overall in whatever draft that was. I'm pretty happy with what we got 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Man, one of my "acceptable" Eichel trade returns was Comtois, Gibson, and 3rd overall in whatever draft that was. I'm pretty happy with what we got 

Sabres might be able to get 2/3's of that basically for free.  Can't believe Gibson is going to bring back much of a return with that contract and his last couple of years of play.

Could Comtois become another Granato defective player whisperee?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.