YouTubeTV vs Fubo

LabattBlue

4 hours ago, LTS said:

I'm curious how you get to $250/month if you don't watch a lot of TV.  You'd have to have all the movie channels, etc. wouldn't you?

Between the internet service, cable service, cable boxes with DVR and a land line my wife insisted on when we originally signed up. 

My wife contacted Spectrum yesterday and yes they still offer Spectrum TV Choice which is 15 stations of your choice along with the local stations for $50.  I think this is the route we're going to take.  We actually struggled to come up with 15 stations that we watch regularly.  

2 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Between the internet service, cable service, cable boxes with DVR and a land line my wife insisted on when we originally signed up. 

My wife contacted Spectrum yesterday and yes they still offer Spectrum TV Choice which is 15 stations of your choice along with the local stations for $50.  I think this is the route we're going to take.  We actually struggled to come up with 15 stations that we watch regularly.  

Is this offered in WNY?  First I heard of it. 

[edited]NVM.   We have our internet through T-Mobile…

You can’t have Spectrum TV Choice without having a Spectrum Internet plan – luckily, they have multiple options to choose from, with fits for every household or budget. 

Edited by LabattBlue

20 hours ago, Indabuff said:

I don't even know what cable boxes are these days.. $11?  DVR is another $15?  The broadcast surcharge is the biggest POS though.  Up to $18 because Spectrum has to pay the local TV carriers.  Local TV needs to die. And land line?  ooof.. yeah, that'll do it.

I only have Internet with Spectrum, it's the only option I have at my location.  Unfortunately.

45 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Am I correct in thinking that there is no change from last year in how to watch the NHL?

I haven't really been paying attention.

You can buy MSG+ for Sabres games.  That is a change.  Other than that, no real differences that I can think of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LTS said:

I don't even know what cable boxes are these days.. $11?  DVR is another $15?  The broadcast surcharge is the biggest POS though.  Up to $18 because Spectrum has to pay the local TV carriers.  Local TV needs to die. And land line?  ooof.. yeah, that'll do it.

Yep, my wife got off the phone with them two hours ago and we both nearly blew a fuse when they told us about the broadcast surcharge.  

21 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Yep, my wife got off the phone with them two hours ago and we both nearly blew a fuse when they told us about the broadcast surcharge.  

You can't fault them. It's the local channels that are causing the fee. I wish Spectrum could drop them. They've become a huge problem around the country because they keep raising their fees. They do this because they don't make much money because no one cares about the news.  Honestly, what is the point of a local channel in today's world?

How much local programming exists in any given day?  The news, and that's about it.  They get some syndication spots and they get to pull some local ad slots during nationally broadcast television.  Most people already know what's happening in their local news because it's on social media.

The entire industry is about to get beat down just as the music industry did with streaming.  That it's held out this long is amazing to me.  Young people simply do not care for television (or the movies).. and they are the only demographic that grows... all the others just shift or decline.

24 minutes ago, LTS said:

You can't fault them. It's the local channels that are causing the fee. I wish Spectrum could drop them. They've become a huge problem around the country because they keep raising their fees. They do this because they don't make much money because no one cares about the news.  Honestly, what is the point of a local channel in today's world?

How much local programming exists in any given day?  The news, and that's about it.  They get some syndication spots and they get to pull some local ad slots during nationally broadcast television.  Most people already know what's happening in their local news because it's on social media.

The entire industry is about to get beat down just as the music industry did with streaming.  That it's held out this long is amazing to me.  Young people simply do not care for television (or the movies).. and they are the only demographic that grows... all the others just shift or decline.

In my opinion they should do à la cart.

Have a basic package of say 12 channels.  Some of them being “local” where applicable. Have a set fee of say $50 which includes any fees and surcharges etc. Then, every channel you want past those 12 channels is an extra $2.00 a month. Let the bad channels die out, and let the good channels thrive and succeed.

So if you want a grand total of 24 channels, it would be $50 + $24 for the additional 12 channels you want à la cart. So your tv cable bill would be $74 a month.

I am just spit balling, and of course the totals can be adjusted to be more monetarily attractive to more people.

I think more people would pay for that gladly knowing that all the channels they are receiving are exactly the channels they want. And I still think the cable companies would make an absolute killing with that price structure because more people would stay or come back to cable services like spectrum instead of streaming. 

On 6/12/2023 at 5:46 PM, LabattBlue said:

One added note…

I am as good as dead if I switch to a service that doesn’t carry the Hallmark Channels. 😂

On 6/12/2023 at 7:59 PM, Taro T said:

Friggin' Hallmark Channel is what got us to get DirecTV.  Time Warner (Spectrum now) replaced Empire from the standard package with the Hallmark Channel.  Refused to pay an extra $5/month to watch Empire and instead moved to Satellite.  That channel line up move that only mattered for about 18 months anyhow as Empire was killed when Adelphia went tits up.  Guess they just didn't want our money.

On 6/13/2023 at 5:54 AM, JustOneParade said:

Damn filters. Starts with a V and rhymes with Regina. (A Sienfeld episode, no?)

I saw a listing of the ten worst TV movies of all time where one of the entries was, and I quote, "the Hallmark Channel movie", where the theory was that all of the movies made by Hallmark Channel are so similar that they should be evaluated as one movie.

• Haha (+1) 3

On 8/6/2023 at 12:08 PM, Broken Ankles said:

For those living outside the 716, and former Direct Tv Sunday Ticket owners what are you doing?  As Taro notes above, the discount of $100 applies only if you sign up for YouTube tv @ $72/month.  I’m planning on keeping Direct Tv for a while.  My contract expires in August and I’m curious what options they have for me this year since I won’t get the Sunday Ticket for free (like I have for the last 17 years).  Having Prime, NFL network, local stations (NBC/Fox/CBS) and ESPN should allow me to view about half of the Bills games this year.  Thus making the YouTube option of $399 seem an excessive option at $50/game.  I mean I could go down to the local sports bar for breakfast on any games not televised nationally.  That might cost me on $25/game.  Rolling the die that other games are flexed or get televised.  

You can get a standalone NFL Sunday Ticket subscription through YouTube Primetime Channels. The out-of-market package is available through YouTube’s à la carte Movies & TV hub—allowing you to sign up without a monthly YouTube TV subscription.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/12769543?hl=en

12 hours ago, nucci said:

You can get a standalone NFL Sunday Ticket subscription through YouTube Primetime Channels. The out-of-market package is available through YouTube’s à la carte Movies & TV hub—allowing you to sign up without a monthly YouTube TV subscription.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/12769543?hl=en

But the a la cart is still $399 for the year.  If half the games are on regular/cable tv, why invest this much for 8 games ?   Saying it’s more cost effective to watch at a bar/restaurant.  

8 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

But the a la cart is still $399 for the year.  If half the games are on regular/cable tv, why invest this much for 8 games ?   Saying it’s more cost effective to watch at a bar/restaurant.  

I agree, it's not for everybody. I dropped directv last January. Too expensive. Switched to youtube tv and I like Sunday ticket and redzone. I got it at $289

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.