A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I love these questions.  

Thanks.  They're going to be a bit on the easier side for some folks--especially the first one--so it wouldn't be the worst thing if the expert-level players let others have a shot, yeah?

Edited by Eleven

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

How about I give it a try?  I started this thread!  I've got a few questions in here.

The Sabres picked Gilbert Perreault first overall in 1970 and had the first pick in each round.  Two questions, one on the easier side (with bonus answers) and one a little harder:

1. Whom did the Sabres select in the second round (first pick in that round)?  Can you name any other Sabres picks?

2. The draft format at the time allowed teams to keep picking, round after round after round, until a team decided not to pick any more players.  Which team kept picking for 13 rounds?

EDIT:  I'm adding a third question--harder than the first two--because the wiki article that I checked to make sure I knew my stuff has a great fact:

3.  Who was the last active player from that 1970 draft?  (I have a hint that makes this pretty easy for Sabres fans but I will withhold it until noon tomorrow.)

Butch Deadmarsh

St Louis

Dale Tallon?

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I feel like I will know the name when I hear it, but I was in the Air Force when Perreault retired and for a few years after and did not watch as much hockey in those years. How about a hint?? 

Also, don't remember Dale Tallon at all. 😇

Big hint coming at noon.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, tom webster said:

I know who it is. Tallon was strictly a guess based on a Buffalo selection. Sadly, the first two answers were at the forefront of my mind.

Anyway, I only remember one other player with a Buffalo connection, but, I will defer 

It's not much of a Buffalo connection.  Here, I'll release the hint early because I'm about to get in the car...

Lindy Ruff flew at the guy and tackled him once.

I think GA had it based on an exchange in my DMs.  Did you?

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s going to be a goalie.  

Indeed.

Ok, here is my trivia question. Back to the 80's again. 

This player broke the odds and played a "good number" of games for the Sabres. Over three seasons he played just over a seasons worth of games. Up and down with Rochester. He then left for Italy, became an Italian citizen and represented Italy in the world juniors and Olympics in the 90's. 

In 2013 he became the first person in Western New York to have a heart transplant operation performed locally.

Who is this guy? 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It's not much of a Buffalo connection.  Here, I'll release the hint early because I'm about to get in the car...

Lindy Ruff flew at the guy and tackled him once.

I think GA had it based on an exchange in my DMs.  Did you?

Indeed.

That’s why I included “but” in my answer. Lindt’s tackle was precipitated by a butt end just below his eye.

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

That’s why I included “but” in my answer. Lindt’s tackle was precipitated by a butt end just below his eye.

Ah very clever...if you had put the second T in there I might have noticed!

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I though about it but, I didn’t want to spoil your fun.

Well thank you.  Now onto the next question:

Just who was Tom Webster?  Your answer should be between 500 and 700 words, written in clear and cogent English, and include a conclusion about how the life of Tom Webster affected your understanding of the Korean conflict.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ok, here is my trivia question. Back to the 80's again. 

This player broke the odds and played a "good number" of games for the Sabres. Over three seasons he played just over a seasons worth of games. Up and down with Rochester. He then left for Italy, became an Italian citizen and represented Italy in the world juniors and Olympics in the 90's. 

In 2013 he became the first person in Western New York to have a heart transplant operation performed locally.

Who is this guy? 

Gates Orlando?

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Well thank you.  Now onto the next question:

Just who was Tom Webster?  Your answer should be between 500 and 700 words, written in clear and cogent English, and include a conclusion about how the life of Tom Webster affected your understanding of the Korean conflict.

Coincidentally, Tom’s nickname was “Hawkeye” which leads me to Alan Alda in MASH which may sum up my understanding of the Korean Conflict.

I will work on it, someday.

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Coincidentally, Tom’s nickname was “Hawkeye” which leads me to Alan Alda in MASH which may sum up my understanding of the Korean Conflict.

I will work on it, someday.

Funny you should mention M*A*S*H; been "watching" that to fall asleep to the past few months.  The 1st 6 seasons were absolutely brilliant.  7 & 8 were still good way more often than not but have just started on season 10 and not sure will make it through to the end of the Alan Aldafication of what had been a brilliant TV series.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.