A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

I assumed he already had 1000. I have brought those three up before. Duff, Marshall and Goyette.

Goyette never reached 1000 games (940) and Marshall had his 1000th with the Rags before he came to Buffalo.  

3 to go. You are missing a HoF center and two guys who played their last games in Buffalo, one of these two spent years coaching for the Sabres organization.  I’d dare says he’s better remembered here as a coach vs as a player.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Goyette never reached 1000 games (940) and Marshall had his 1000th with the Rags before he came to Buffalo.  

3 to go. You are missing a HoF center and two guys who played their last games in Buffalo, one of these two spent years coaching for the Sabres organization.  I’d dare says he’s better remembered here as a coach vs as a player.

Lindy Ruff?  Dale Hawerchuk?

Edited by Marvin

Just now, Marvin said:

Lindy Ruff?  Dale Hawerchuk?

Ruff no.  Only 691 games.  Finally, Hawerchuk!  No. 9, No. 9, No. 9 etc….

2 to go! 

I am surprised by how quickly someone mentioned Marshall. If y’all remember Marshall, this 1000 gamer should come to mind and it’s the not former coach.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Horton was still in Tor when he reached 1000. Hillman didn’t get to 800 NHL games.

Wow.  I remember Hillman being a lot older than that.

46 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Wow.  I remember Hillman being a lot older than that.

He was old. He was 34 when he got to Buffalo. Remember he was an original 6 guy. In 8 years in Tor he only played 264 games. In 4 if those seasons he played 12 games or less.

Still two to go. One should be easy.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Mike didn’t reach his 1000th game with the Sabres.  He played 911 games for the Sabres.  

Yeah I looked 'em up AFTER I guessed...interesting thing, and here's some trivia...both Rammers ended up playing the exact same number of NHLregular season  games at 1070.  That's some John Adams / Thomas Jefferson level stuff right there.

Edited by Eleven

30 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah I looked 'em up AFTER I guessed...interesting thing, and here's some trivia...both Rammers ended up playing the exact same number of NHLregular season  games at 1070.  That's some John Adams / Thomas Jefferson level stuff right there.

Nice reference! July 4, 1826 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He was old. He was 34 when he got to Buffalo. Remember he was an original 6 guy. In 8 years in Tor he only played 264 games. In 4 if those seasons he played 12 games or less.

Still two to go. One should be easy.

Grant Fuhr? 

52 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Nice reference! July 4, 1826 

Grant Fuhr? 

Has a goalie ever reached 1000 games?  

Off to play poker.  Last hints.  The missing players were also teammates in Buffalo with Mike Foligno and Mike Ramsey.

PS: and his last words were “Peter Pucks survives”

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I have no idea why this name popped in my head and I’m not sure he played enough, but how about Don Lever?

Congrats.  He is No. 10 and yes Grier was mentioned earlier.  He was the Sabres Asst coach and Rochester head coach who finished his career in Buffalo and played with Mike Foligno and Mike Ramsey.  His teammate is the last player on the list.  

I'm going to give the answer because I doubt anyone will ever guess.  He finished his career with the Sabres the same two seasons as Don Lever.  He only managed to play 18 games over those two seasons, but that was enough to get him over the 1000 game threshold.  His name is Phil Russell.

Next!

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Congrats.  He is No. 10 and yes Grier was mentioned earlier.  He was the Sabres Asst coach and Rochester head coach who finished his career in Buffalo and played with Mike Foligno and Mike Ramsey.  His teammate is the last player on the list.  

I'm going to give the answer because I doubt anyone will ever guess.  He finished his career with the Sabres the same two seasons as Don Lever.  He only managed to play 18 games over those two seasons, but that was enough to get him over the 1000 game threshold.  His name is Phil Russell.

Next!

I’ve stopped trying to understand the brain and memory but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have gotten Russell if I cheated.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’ve stopped trying to understand the brain and memory but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have gotten Russell if I cheated.

This is why questions of that caliber--I am not picking on GA here, because there have been more than a few of them--are not fun.  It's supposed to be a trivia thread and not an "identify the obscure" thread, but it's a runaway so it is what it is.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

This is why questions of that caliber--I am not picking on GA here, because there have been more than a few of them--are not fun.  It's supposed to be a trivia thread and not an "identify the obscure" thread, but it's a runaway so it is what it is.

Eleven I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with this you on this one.  The only truly obscure answer here was Russell, but the rest people got pretty easily and personally I love a tour of Sabres history.  Also a trivia question should have some challenge to it otherwise it’s just common knowledge.  

How about you give it a try.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Eleven I’m going to have to respectfully disagree with this you on this one.  The only truly obscure answer here was Russell, but the rest people got pretty easily and personally I love a tour of Sabres history.  Also a trivia question should have some challenge to it otherwise it’s just common knowledge.  

How about you give it a try.

How about I give it a try?  I started this thread!  I've got a few questions in here.

The Sabres picked Gilbert Perreault first overall in 1970 and had the first pick in each round.  Two questions, one on the easier side (with bonus answers) and one a little harder:

1. Whom did the Sabres select in the second round (first pick in that round)?  Can you name any other Sabres picks?

2. The draft format at the time allowed teams to keep picking, round after round after round, until a team decided not to pick any more players.  Which team kept picking for 13 rounds?

EDIT:  I'm adding a third question--harder than the first two--because the wiki article that I checked to make sure I knew my stuff has a great fact:

3.  Who was the last active player from that 1970 draft?  (I have a hint that makes this pretty easy for Sabres fans but I will withhold it until noon tomorrow.)

Edited by Eleven

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

How about I give it a try?  I started this thread!  I've got a few questions in here.

The Sabres picked Gilbert Perreault first overall in 1970 and had the first pick in each round.  Two questions, one on the easier side (with bonus answers) and one a little harder:

1. Whom did the Sabres select in the second round (first pick in that round)?  Can you name any other Sabres picks?

2. The draft format at the time allowed teams to keep picking, round after round after round, until a team decided not to pick any more players.  Which team kept picking for 13 rounds?

EDIT:  I'm adding a third question--harder than the first two--because the wiki article that I checked to make sure I knew my stuff has a great fact:

3.  Who was the last active player from that 1970 draft?  (I have a hint that makes this pretty easy for Sabres fans but I will withhold it until noon tomorrow.)

I love these questions.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.