GDT: Sabres at Detroit 7 PM 4-6-2023 MSG

spndnchz

7 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

So how did Levi play?

Not nearly as bad as the box score looks. Three were just bad luck deflections, including one off of Power. Another was off of a brutal turnover right in front of him that he had no chance on. Two he probably should've had. He came up big in OT, stopping Larkin breakaway and in the shootout.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

No goalie is going to save the day. They have to seriously address the defensive system and structure if they want to take the next step.

Bringing in a goalie or dman will mean nothing until they address the larger problem.

The pieces are there, four 30 goal scorers is amazing and there is more offence coming. Learn to lock it down defensively and this team will make a NJ leap next season.

I still have no earthly idea what Boosh’s was doing on that giveaway😳

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Not nearly as bad as the box score looks. Three were just bad luck deflections, including one off of Power. Another was off of a brutal turnover right in front of him that he had no chance on. Two he probably should've had. He came up big in OT, stopping Larkin breakaway and in the shootout.

Good to hear. I give up trying to understand how our defense could really be this bad.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Levi looked a little more human tonight, but he certainly wasn't bad. 3 of those goals were just dumb luck for Detroit and another was him getting hung out to dry by an absolutely brutal turnover right in front of the net.

I agree with all of this.

On that Jost turn over, he was certainly left out to dry. But he left himself super vulnerable coming way to to challenge the shooter that way. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I agree with all of this.

On that Jost turn over, he was certainly left out to dry. But he left himself super vulnerable coming way to to challenge the shooter that way. 

The D will learn to take the passes away and let Levi take the shooter.  Just like the Sabres D used to play when Miller was here.

It's a tough mental change to go from, we must try to block every high danger chance or it'll be in the net to we must take away the shooter's options because the goalie has this.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

But he left himself super vulnerable coming way to to challenge the shooter that way. 

Levi is aggressive and quick… He got away with that move routinely at the college level… He won’t in the NHL… He will adapt… Kid is the real deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It’s amazing how this kid is all smiles after letting in 6* tonight.

It’s infectious. 

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Levi is aggressive and quick… He got away with that move routinely at the college level… He won’t in the NHL… He will adapt… Kid is the real deal.

I totally agree. More just saying I wouldn’t lump that goal with the one that came off Powers leg.

The kid is legit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

It’s amazing how this kid is all smiles after letting in 6* tonight.

It’s infectious. 

He is infectious… He appreciates it’s all about winning… Something our young team is appreciating as well… 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

The D will learn to take the passes away and let Levi take the shooter.  Just like the Sabres D used to play when Miller was here.

It's a tough mental change to go from, we must try to block every high danger chance or it'll be in the net to we must take away the shooter's options because the goalie has this.

The shooter is the goalie’s man and Devon was correct in assuming that was the biggest threat. Simple as that. 

Of the 10 goals he’s given up, only one was on a pure snipe that beat him clean and that was the game tying goal tonight. I think his shakiest moment so far was the gaping five hole on Detroit’s first shootout goal. Had me worried for a minute.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Believer said:

He tracks the puck freakishly well and his recovery speed/reflexes already look borderline elite. He just needs the game to slow down a bit for him, which coming right from college is to be expected, and work on his rebound control. He's gonna be a stud.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Bad puck luck but sometimes you make your own puck luck.  We were plain putrid in our zone, the play by boosh was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen (especially up2 mid way through the 3rd).  btw, power is out best overall dman and no offense to Dahlin, but he's not all that close right now.

Wild one. But we got the two points. The dream is still alive on life support. 

I agree with most. At least 3 of the goals were not on Levi. 

Levi will need some help next year. It's too much to expect him to make the jump from college to first string starter in the NHL in his first year.  I hope KA brings in a true 1a to tandem with Levi next year. 

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

He's gonna be a stud

Credit to KA and the Sabres for recognizing it… and joining him up to the organization so flawlessly… Big kudos

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Realize Granato is going to put UPL or possibly Comrie in net Saturday afternoon. He needs to go back to Levi for them to have a chance.

I think the kid needs a break. But we need this game and he’ll sit one of NYR/NJD a few days later. 

Based on Levi’s whole vibe, I imagine he is drooling to play at MSG. 

2 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

Wild one. But we got the two points. The dream is still alive on life support. 

I agree with most. At least 3 of the goals were not on Levi. 

Levi will need some help next year. It's too much to expect him to make the jump from college to first string starter in the NHL in his first year.  I hope KA brings in a true 1a to tandem with Levi next year. 

3 goals literally came off Sabres players.

That’s insane, we should be talking about a 6-3 win and another .900 night from Levi. He did look a bit more human tonight even though he played well. 

• Agree 1

We need every game until we don’t… Based on what I witnessed tonight, I start Levi until we are eliminated from the wild card… Neither UPL nor Cromie have his quick hands and feet… or his skill moving the puck with his stick… 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Believer said:

We need every game until we don’t… Based on what I witnessed tonight, I start Levi until we are eliminated from the wild card… Neither UPL nor Cromie have his quick hands and feet… or his skill moving the puck with his stick… 

I think I agree.

But I think you have to sit him for either NYR or NJD back to back. 

Maybe Lindy can do us a favor and hold his guys back a bit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.