GDT: Rangers at Sabres-03-31 7:00PM Levi debuts

MattPie

Well that was fun. late season fun game, has meaning, what more can you want?

Rangers kind of only showed up for one period but that doesn't really matter, a win's a win. 

Great to finally see Greenway do something positive. Maybe there's still hope for him after all. Cozen's line was our best aside from what happened in the OT. 

Thoughts on Levi: 

He's very quick, agile, positions himself well, and seems focused in. Lacks good rebound control as most young goalies do. No surprise there. He has real potential, but (and it's a big but) he really does look small in there for current NHL standards and when he goes down and spreads those pads, he covers a lot of the lower net, but there is an absolute ton of high open net. Once teams get the book on him I see them shooting high and that could end up being a serious weakness. idk if he will be able to cover/adapt to that or not. Time will tell. 

If he had UPL's size, with his quickness, he'd be absolutely perfect. 

Keep winning and playoffs aren't impossible. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Rangers kind of only showed up for one period but that doesn't really matter, a win's a win. 

Great to finally see Greenway do something positive. Maybe there's still hope for him after all. Cozen's line was our best aside from what happened in the OT. 

Thoughts on Levi: 

He's very quick, agile, positions himself well, and seems focused in. Lacks good rebound control as most young goalies do. No surprise there. He has real potential, but (and it's a big but) he really does look small in there for current NHL standards and when he goes down and spreads those pads, he covers a lot of the lower net, but there is an absolute ton of high open net. Once teams get the book on him I see them shooting high and that could end up being a serious weakness. idk if he will be able to cover/adapt to that or not. Time will tell. 

I hope so, but that was the dumbest goal. If you gave him 100 attempts he couldn’t repeat that again. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

I hope so, but that was the dumbest goal. If you gave him 100 attempts he couldn’t repeat that again. 

Doing his best Scott Chandler impersonation. Looked like he was shoveling snow. 😄

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thoughts on Levi: 

Wouldn't agree with that. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Thoughts on Levi: 

I thought what distinguished his play was his good rebound control. His anticipation and positioning were superb. As far as size goes it is irrelevant because his other attributes such quickness, positioning and glove work compensate for his lack of standard size for the position. He may not be big but you can see that he stoutly plays, especially when there is traffic in front of him. He's an exciting prospect who is likely to contribute right away. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, JohnC said:

I thought what distinguished his play was his good rebound control. His anticipation and positioning were superb. As far as size goes it is irrelevant because his other attributes such quickness, positioning and glove work compensate for his lack of standard size for the position. He may not be big but you can see that he stoutly plays, especially when there is traffic in front of him. He's an exciting prospect who is likely to contribute right away. 

My only complaint was I thought he overreacted a little on a few shots... but he recovers so fast idk if that even matters. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

How can you not be excited after that game?  Strong game from Levi.

Pitt has Boston tomorrow in Pitt, that's a game that the Penguins have to lose if we want to have a chance.  Keep winning Sabres.. give yourselves a shot

edit:  FYI:  Pitt finishes the season vs Detroit, Chicago, and CBJ

Edited by Ctaeth
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

My only complaint was I thought he overreacted a little on a few shots... but he recovers so fast idk if that even matters. 

That's a great observation. There were a number of plays where there was action on one side of him, and then he responded quickly/instinctly when the threat went to the other side of him. There was little scrambling to his game even when the action in front of him was chaotic. You can tell that he is a student of the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's the question of... what would we say if we watched Hasek and the '99 Sabres live with modern communication technology?

There would always be some folks would certainly complain that Hasek let himself get out of position and that made him have to do the rolling save in the first place.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.