Forward Jordan Greenway Traded to Buffalo for a 2023 2nd VGK and 2024 5th Round Pick

Brawndo

Within this WGR link is a segment where Judd Zulgad, who has a hockey podcast, discusses the trade. This is an 8 min segment. He is familiar with the player and his specific attributes. He points out when playing up to his talents, he is a major asset. However, when he slides and gets away from his game he is not as effective. The key in this trade is our coach. He knows the player and knows what needs to be done to get him to get him back to form. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Thanks (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Within this WGR link is a segment where Judd Zulgad, who has a hockey podcast, discusses the trade. This is an 8 min segment. He is familiar with the player and his specific attributes. He points out when playing up to his talents, he is a major asset. However, when he slides and gets away from his game he is not as effective. The key in this trade is our coach. He knows the player and knows what needs to be done to get him to get him back to form. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

On his podcast, he and his Minnesota cronies are ecstatic that GM Guerin tricked Buffalo into giving a 2nd for Greenway. They didn't mention that the Sabres had three 2nds and could give one away without much concern, and a late (LV) 2nd at that.

Of course, it's 2 remaining years on a contract and a defensive forward with speed which is something the Sabres need badly.

From the MN perspective, it was a guy due for a change of scenery and "addition by subtraction".

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

On his podcast, he and his Minnesota cronies are ecstatic that GM Guerin tricked Buffalo into giving a 2nd for Greenway. They didn't mention that the Sabres had three 2nds and could give one away without much concern, and a late (LV) 2nd at that.

Of course, it's 2 remaining years on a contract and a defensive forward with speed which is something the Sabres need badly.

From the MN perspective, it was a guy due for a change of scenery and "addition by subtraction".

The commentator made the same point that you just made. It was time for him to move on. The situation was getting stale for him, and he needed a change of scenery to get a fresh start. What makes the trade to turn out to be a positive for us is our coach who is familiar with this player. Time will tell. This trade could work out well for both teams. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

They should consider moving Greenway to defense, like Byfuglien or Burns did at the same point in their careers.   

He's similar stature, exceptional defensive skills for a forward... something to thing about heading into next season.

This is interesting, I forgot Byfuglien played some Wing early in his career. But he was drafted as a d-man so it’s a bit of a different situation.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

This is interesting, I forgot Byfuglien played some Wing early in his career. But he was drafted as a d-man so it’s a bit of a different situation.  

I was wondering how Byfuglien wound up playing both forward and defence.

• Like (+1) 1

Tuch was a year ahead of Greenway in upstate NY minor hockey and the USNDP, and a year or two ahead of him with the Wild, so I'm not sure they ever played together, but their paths probably crossed given their similar backgrounds.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ... said:

I must have missed where these two played together in the past.

Tuch was drafted by Minnesota before getting chosen in the expansion draft.

EDIT: True, but it looks like he was gone by the time Greenway showed up.  @dudacek had the call, once again.

Edited by Taro T

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Did he have similar feelings about Jost when we claimed him off waivers from the Wild? 

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I bet these same guys were praising him up and down when the Greenway, Ek, and Foligno lines was doing well for 3 years. Now he is their scapegoat. Sad really.

Between Tage, Tuch, Jost, and DG he has a good base here of people he knows well and think well of him.  I wonder what they will say when Jordan finds his way here.

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I bet these same guys were praising him up and down when the Greenway, Ek, and Foligno lines was doing well for 3 years. Now he is their scapegoat. Sad really.

Between Tage, Tuch, Jost, and DG he has a good base here of people he knows well and think well of him.  I wonder what they will say when Jordan finds his way here.

I'm sure they loved the Greef line when it a dynamo to no end. But it's no different than how we treat our scapegoats, whether they be Eichel or Skinner during Krueger, or Mitts or VO, etc. Sports show hosts have to have a take no matter what the player has done for them lately.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Did he have similar feelings about Jost when we claimed him off waivers from the Wild? 

I searched for it...  but it appears to have gotten overshadowed by "Vikings are frauds" conversations because the waiving of Jost was the same weekend the Vikings got beat 40-3 at home by the Cowboys.

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CTJoe said:

He wasn't the problem nor was he the solution, he was just present

Which is usually enough out of your 4th liners.  

Coach put some weaker players into situations they weren't able to handle.  At the end of the day, that was the difference in the game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.