Rd 2, Pick #41: Topias Leinonen (G)

LGR4GM

And it also seems to say that Portillo is out the door.

The only goalie in the system down the road is Levi.  Getting his potential battery mate in the 2nd makes sense when there's nobody else you're high on and you have nobody else.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

2nd goalie off the board at 58. 

I get the sense Adams sees this ongoing trend of goaltending shortages and decided that reaching on a goalie at 41, who was arguably the best in the draft was worth it if only to add a goalie prospect to the system.

You could compare this to overdrafting quarterbacks in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3

Big, big boy.

Know nothing about him, but the Sabres have not taken a goalie this high since Mika Noronen went at 21 in 1997.

5th highest pick used on a goalie in Sabre history (Barrasso, Biron and our own Bob Sauve we’re all 1st-rounders.)

Guess we’ll see where this one goes. Would have rather nabbed an RD 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If a team drafts for need at this point I feel like it’s gotta be pipeline need, especially considering how long goalies take. Considering our G prospect pipeline is loaded, my guess is Adams had this dude ranked highly for one reason or another 

Loaded?  Realistically, we have Levi.  And he can still choose to go UFA next year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

And it also seems to say that Portillo is out the door.

The only goalie in the system down the road is Levi.  Getting his potential battery mate in the 2nd makes sense when there's nobody else you're high on and you have nobody else.

Can't he just walk, too? Do we have any guarantees he plays for us? 

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

2nd goalie off the board at 58. 

I get the sense Adams sees this ongoing trend of goaltending shortages and decided that reaching on a goalie at 41, who was arguably the best in the draft was worth it if only to add a goalie prospect to the system.

Maybe they had intel that Seattle was looking to go G and were afraid of getting beat to the punch for "their guy".

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Big, big boy.

Know nothing about him, but the Sabres have not taken a goalie this high since Mika Noronen went at 21 in 1997.

5th highest pick used on a goalie in Sabre history (Barrasso, Biron and our own Bob Sauve we’re all 1st-rounders.)

Guess we’ll see where this one goes. Would have rather nabbed an RD 

Oh wow, I had forgotten that! 

Just now, thewookie1 said:

We'll be able to tell how good this choice was based on when other goalies go as well. 

For any of us who has ever played fantasy football, it’s a game of chicken. Who is that first QB/TE off the board. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.