GDT: Sabres at Hurricanes 07 April 2022 7:30 PM

Mustache of God

14 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Through 24 games, Eichel is pacing for a 34 goal 27 assist season (if he played all 82 games)

meanwhile, his replacement Tage is pacing for 38-39 goals and 30 assists per 82 games.

Interesting.  Eichel is not playing with Stone or Patchorietty yet.    I think his assists will go way up when Vegas squeezes their best players under the cap.  

28 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Through 24 games, Eichel is pacing for a 34 goal 27 assist season (if he played all 82 games)

meanwhile, his replacement Tage is pacing for 38-39 goals and 30 assists per 82 games.

Don’t forget the players who KA received for him are on pace (over 82 games) for 21g and 68 pts (Tuch) and 15g and 39 points (Krebs).  Good numbers for a rookie.

Also TNT vs ROR ytd

TNT: 68gp 32g 25a 57 pts

ROR: 66gp 17g 30a 47 pts

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don’t forget the players who KA received for him are on pace (over 82 games) for 21g and 68 pts (Tuch) and 15g and 39 points (Krebs).  Good numbers for a rookie.

Also TNT vs ROR ytd

TNT: 68gp 32g 25a 57 pts

ROR: 66gp 17g 30a 47 pts

You forgot Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup beside ROR.😉

My wife and I had a good time at the Sabres-Hurricanes game despite the loss. The Sabres looked like they could play with the Canes through much of the game. We had good seats at the end of the ice where they scored goals on their first two shots. 

But as the game went on the Canes applied relentless pressure and their forechecking caused the Sabres to make mistakes. They were overpowered in the third period. 

There were a lot of Sabres fans in the arena and I had some good conversations with some of them, including a guy from Herkimer near Utica who was a Sabres fan but, god forbid, admitted to being a Patriots fan.

I hated to see the Sabres lose, but I still came away thinking they are on the way up. 

• Like (+1) 5

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I understand the frustration.  What I saw was the more talented and physically imposing team wear us down and force the errors.  Give Carolina some credit.  Stahl said it after the game, we played hard and they had to work for it, and they got the bounces when they needed them.

There were numerous Sabres  turnovers that Callahan pointed out.  Dahlin's and Eakins turnovers led to goals.  Joker, Samuelsson and Tage all made similar mistakes, using the center of our defensive zones to try to break out, but they got bailed out by Anderson.  Carolina controlled the boards and the blue lines.  They are fierce on the forecheck and they stand up on their blue line - no easy O-zone entries for us.   We don't match up physically yet.  

As you noted and Callahan noted several times, our record holding a two goal lead, or any lead going into the 3rd is poor.  But the last 5-6 weeks we have been much better, something that Callahan did not mention.  

Carolinas plays like their coach played.  We have to get bigger and more experienced to consistently play with the big boys.  We could challenge for the WC next year but realistically we are still several years away from the top teams.  

Florida tonight with Toker in net.  It will take a huge effort to win.  

I find even less comfort in Staal’s patronizing remarks. 

Agree entirely about how Carolina plays. I said in the Tuesday night GDT that every guy on that team plays the way Brind’Amour played. Every one of them. 

Given how we’ve turned the corner since February, I have even less tolerance for giving games away.  I don’t need reminders about our improvement. I need to see next steps. Holding leads in games and closing them out is paramount. I hope nobody in that locker room is content with last night. They should be pissed. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

I find even less comfort in Staal’s patronizing remarks. 

Agree entirely about how Carolina plays. I said in the Tuesday night GDT that every guy on that team plays the way Brind’Amour played. Every one of them. 

Given how we’ve turned the corner since February, I have even less tolerance for giving games away.  I don’t need reminders about our improvement. I need to see next steps. Holding leads in games and closing them out is paramount. I hope nobody in that locker room is content with last night. They should be pissed. 

True.  The next stretch of games is going to be very difficult.  They should be treating them like playoff games and I think they are.  

7 minutes ago, Dr K said:

My wife and I had a good time at the Sabres-Hurricanes game despite the loss. The Sabres looked like they could play with the Canes through much of the game. We had good seats at the end of the ice where they scored goals on their first two shots. 

But as the game went on the Canes applied relentless pressure and their forechecking caused the Sabres to make mistakes. They were overpowered in the third period. 

There were a lot of Sabres fans in the arena and I had some good conversations with some of them, including a guy from Herkimer near Utica who was a Sabres fan but, god forbid, admitted to being a Patriots fan.

I hated to see the Sabres lose, but I still came away thinking they are on the way up. 

Did you have the Pit Beef BBQ sandwiches at the arena? They're awesome.

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did you have the Pit Beef BBQ sandwiches at the arena? They're awesome.

My wife had the barbecue. I had a burger and shake from the Shake Shack. They have pretty good food in the arena. 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I understand the frustration.  What I saw was the more talented and physically imposing team wear us down and force the errors.  Give Carolina some credit.  Stahl said it after the game, we played hard and they had to work for it, and they got the bounces when they needed them.

There were numerous Sabres  turnovers that Callahan pointed out.  Dahlin's and Eakins turnovers led to goals.  Joker, Samuelsson and Tage all made similar mistakes, using the center of our defensive zones to try to break out, but they got bailed out by Anderson.  Carolina controlled the boards and the blue lines.  They are fierce on the forecheck and they stand up on their blue line - no easy O-zone entries for us.   We don't match up physically yet.  

As you noted and Callahan noted several times, our record holding a two goal lead, or any lead going into the 3rd is poor.  But the last 5-6 weeks we have been much better, something that Callahan did not mention.  

Carolinas plays like their coach played.  We have to get bigger and more experienced to consistently play with the big boys.  We could challenge for the WC next year but realistically we are still several years away from the top teams.  

Florida tonight with Toker in net.  It will take a huge effort to win.  

Young guys need to mature physically... agree Carolina when they stepped it up played more physical on the boards... passed better... forechecked with more speed and Sabres havent seen that sustained for a whole game but that is playoff hockey... good lesson

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.