Okposo’s Future With the Team?

GASabresIUFAN

KO’s Future with the Sabres.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How Does KA handle KO going forward

• KA should extend his contract this summer and make him the team Captain.
    • KA should wait and see how next season goes and if KO stays healthy, extend him before the deadline.
    • KA should trade him to a contender at next year’s trade deadline.
    • KA should trade him this summer to get assets to be used to fill greater needs like a goaltender and a veteran RHD.
    • I have no opinion at this time.
    • KA should let him walk when his contract ends.
  2. 2. If you want to extend his deal, what would you offer

• 3 years at $4 mill (or more) per season
    • 1 year at $6 then 2 years at $3 or more
    • 4 more years at $4 mill or more
    • 2 years max at whatever $ he’ll agree to.

20 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve added another option to the Poll.  I’ve added letting him walk when his contract ends.

If he stays healthy I sincerely doubt KA let’s him walk for nothing.  However if he gets hurt, which is a distinct possibility then it could come to pass.

I think he is done when the contract is over.  

He keeps the A unless it’s decided by the team that he gets the C.  I think Tuch will get it though. 

He would be an excellent 4th liner for the next two years.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

Okposo’s future with the team should be whatever he wants it to be.

Before then, can we please stop referring to him as a 4th liner?

He’s 3rd on the team in goals, 4th in points. He’s playing nearly 17 minutes a game and contributing to both special teams while being both a physical presence and decent defensively. 

He’s probably going to finish the year with 20 goals and close to 50 points, totals good enough to rank in the top 25 in the entire NHL for right wings. And he’s the central figure in setting the new tone for this team that we are all coming to appreciate both on and off the ice.

Give the man the respect he deserves.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think he plays another 1-2 years after this contract expires, but $4M a year is WAY too much and I hope they don't do that.  I think $4-5M for 2 years is appropriate.  A lot of these 30+ players don't mind taking less money to be somewhere they want to be and I don't think someone else signs him for more $ with his injury history.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I think he plays another 1-2 years after this contract expires, but $4M a year is WAY too much and I hope they don't do that.  I think $4-5M for 2 years is appropriate.  A lot of these 30+ players don't mind taking less money to be somewhere they want to be and I don't think someone else signs him for more $ with his injury history.

On the other hand, if paying him $4M per year keeps Kevyn from having to do another Johnny Boychuck type of transaction (i.e., we're still too close to the cap floor), pay the man.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Okposo’s future with the team should be whatever he wants it to be.

Before then, can we please stop referring to him as a 4th liner?

He’s 3rd on the team in goals, 4th in points. He’s playing nearly 17 minutes a game and contributing to both special teams while being both a physical presence and decent defensively. 

He’s probably going to finish the year with 20 goals and close to 50 points, totals good enough to rank in the top 25 in the entire NHL for right wings. And he’s the central figure in setting the new tone for this team that we are all coming to appreciate both on and off the ice.

Give the man the respect he deserves.

Sure, he is having an excellent year.  He has a chance to get the C next year as well. But he is 34 and a forward with a history of injuries and concussions.  I would not extend him now.  I would let him play it out and see what he has left.   If he gets extended he will likely end his career on the 4th line.  What’s the hurry for?  

The next contract should not be whatever he wants it to be.  It should be dictated by what is in his tank next season.   

You are being emotional about it, which is not a good thing for a GM. 

Edited by Pimlach

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Sure, he is having an excellent year.  He has a chance to get the C next year as well. But he is 34 and a forward with a history of injuries and concussions.  I would not extend him now.  I would let him play it out and see what he has left.   If he gets extended he will likely end his career on the 4th line.  What’s the hurry for?  

The next contract should not be whatever he wants it to be.  It should be dictated by what is in his tank next season.   

You are being emotional about it, which is not a good thing for a GM. 

Didn’t mean that as literally give him whatever term and money he asks for.

I meant if Kyle wants to be traded at the deadline, trade him wherever he wants to go; if he wants to stay, keep him regardless of offers; if he wants to retire, offer him a job in the organization; and if he wants to return, sign him to a short-term deal at a fair but generous rate for his performance level.

Don’t steer him with a particular agenda, let him take the lead. He’s earned it.

Whatever path he picks is highly unlikely to handcuff the Sabres and the younger players need to be sent a message about how this organization is going to treat its good soldiers.

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t mean that as literally give him whatever term and money he asks for.

I meant if Kyle wants to be traded at the deadline, trade him wherever he wants to go; if he wants to stay, keep him regardless of offers; if he wants to retire, offer him a job in the organization; and if he wants to return, sign him to a short-term deal at a fair but generous rate for his performance level.

Don’t steer him with a particular agenda, let him take the lead. He’s earned it.

Whatever path he picks is highly unlikely to handcuff the Sabres and the younger players need to be sent a message about how this organization is going to treat its good soldiers.

That clarifies it. 

I expect Adams and Kyle will talk through it before the season starts.  But we don’t need to extend him right now, let’s see how it plays out.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I think he's got a good gauge on where he stands. 

And even if, say, they sign him for 2 years at $4M/year and he doesn't fulfill the second year, I'd much rather pay Kyle Okposo to not play to meet the cap floor than Johnny Boychuck (or whatever other contract KA might dig up).

4 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Yeah, I think I misread @Pimlach's post.  I took it to mean he understood that Kyle was under contract for two more years.  He doesn't say that though.  Blame that one on me.

No you read his post correctly.  I think he misread that KO had two years left since when you look at capfriendly it shows this year's contract and next.   I started this thread because I think KO deserves the C for next season, but I don't think the Sabres just want him to play out his contract.  I think it would be a great show of faith in his leadership and continued skill if they give him an extension and the C at the same time.

I did say I'm in the wait and see camp, but I also understand that KO and KA may want to make that statement this summer.  I believe that KO is among the most popular Sabres with the fans and it would be great for the franchise both PR and in the lockerroom to get this done quickly.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.