Off-season: RHD who may be available in trade

GASabresIUFAN

I was playing with Capfriendly looking for RHD (or guys who can play both) from cap strapped teams that could be a good fit in Buffalo.  I don't know if all or any are actually available, but most should be for the right price.  Also keeping in mind that we have 18 mill in cap space just to get to the cap floor.

This list is from most cap strapped to least under the current season's cap.

1) Montreal

Savard: Age 31, 3 years left at 3.5

Petry: Age 34, 3 yrs @ 6.25 M-NTC & NMC

2) TB

Cernak: Age 24, 1 yr @ 2.95 then an RFA (no I don't actually think he's available, but one can dream)

3) Edm

Ceci: Age 28, 3yrs @ 3.25 - In Zone D has been very good this year.

4) Wpg

DeMelo: Age 28, 2 yrs @ 3.0

5) Van

Myers: Age 32, 2 yrs @ 6.0, NTC

6) Washington

Orlov: Age 30, 1 year @ 5.1, M-NTC

Jensen: Age 31, 1 yr @ 2.5

7) Philly

Ellis: Age 31, 5 years @ 6.25

8.) Florida

Gudas: Age 31, 1 year @ 2.5

9) Colorado

Johnson: Age 34, 1 yr @ 6.0, NMC & M-NTC

10) Calg

Tanev: Age 32, 2 yrs  @ 4.5, M-NTC

11) Minn

Dumba: Age 27: 1 yr @ 6.0, M-NTC

12) NYI

Mayfield: Age 29, 1 year @ 1.45

13) Seattle

Larsson: Age 29, 3 years @ 4.0, NTC

The two that stand out for me as best bang for the buck cap wise are Wash's Jensen and Mon's Savard.  Dumba from a long-term standpoint would be a great addition, but KA would likely have to give him an extension to get him to waive his M-NTC.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

• GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Off-season: RHD who may be available in trade
5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I was playing with Capfriendly looking for RHD (or guys who can play both) from cap strapped teams that could be a good fit in Buffalo.  I don't know if all or any are actually available, but most should be for the right price.  Also keeping in mind that we have 18 mill in cap space just to get to the cap floor.

This list is from most cap strapped to least under the current season's cap.

1) Montreal

Savard: Age 31, 3 years left at 3.5

Petry: Age 34, 3 yrs @ 6.25 M-NTC & NMC

2) TB

Cernak: Age 24, 1 yr @ 2.95 then an RFA (no I don't actually think he's available, but one get dream)

3) Edm

Ceci: Age 28, 3yrs @ 3.25 - In Zone D has been very good this year.

4) Wpg

DeMelo: Age 28, 2 yrs @ 3.0

5) Van

Myers: Age 32, 2 yrs @ 6.0, NTC

6) Washington

Orlov: Age 30, 1 year @ 5.1, M-NTC

Jensen: Age 31, 1 yr @ 2.5

7) Philly

Ellis: Age 31, 5 years @ 6.25

8.) Florida

Gudas: Age 31, 1 year @ 2.5

9) Colorado

Johnson: Age 34, 1 yr @ 6.0, NMC & M-NTC

10) Calg

Tanev: Age 32, 2 yrs  @ 4.5, M-NTC

11) Minn

Dumba: Age 27: 1 yr @ 6.0, M-NTC

12) NYI

Mayfield: Age 29, 1 year @ 1.45

13) Seattle

Larsson: Age 29, 3 years @ 4.0, NTC

The two that stand out for me as best band for the buck cap wise are Wash's Jensen and Mon's Savard.  Dumba from a long-term standpoint would be a great addition, but KA would likely have to give him an extension to get him to waive his M-NTC.

Dumba or Myers are guys I think will be available because of cap situations and are guys I would be interested in. That list is pretty good except Ceci. Ceci is never the answer, ever.😄

Just now, Flashsabre said:

Dumba or Myers are guys I think will be available because of cap situations and are guys I would be interested in. That list is pretty good except Ceci. Ceci is never the answer, ever.😄

I did put he has been better defensively this year, but I agree he isn't the answer to our needs.  I do think he will be available this off-season.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

CC was the answer for Niles in season 6 of "The Nanny"...

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

CC was the answer for Niles in season 6 of "The Nanny"...

Wow!  Now there is a pop culture reference.  Talk about a diverse character actor in Daniel Davis.  Butler on the Nanny, Moriarty on STNG, and as a carrier Captain in the Hunt for Red October.

Now back on topic, I don't think Niles works on our D group.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think I have told this story before but when Paul MacLean was coach of the Ottawa Senators they selected Ceci in the first round. Ceci played for the Ottawa 67s in the OHL. One night MacLean went with some scouts to watch Ceci play. Half way thru the first period MacLean got up and left saying “I can’t watch this kid play anymore.” Needless to say he wasn’t impressed.🤣

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I think I have told this story before but when Paul MacLean was coach of the Ottawa Senators they selected Ceci in the first round. Ceci played for the Ottawa 67s in the OHL. One night MacLean went with some scouts to watch Ceci play. Half way thru the first period MacLean got up and left saying “I can’t watch this kid play anymore.” Needless to say he wasn’t impressed.🤣

It's how I feel watching Miller and Butcher, although I loved Butcher in college.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Any player KA gets will be a player with *moral fiber*. Team first, good in the locker room. He still can't afford a guy to come in that's a great player but able to wreck the fragile mojo of this young team.

KA is definitely going to have to find the "right guy."  I'm not sure who that is which is why I started the thread.  The guy needs to be a good defensive player, experienced enough to have respect in the locker-room, hopefully come from a winning organization, young enough to be here for a period of 2-4 years and be willing to mentor younger players.  He also has to be available in trade, someone KA wants and is willing to pay for and if he has a NMC/NTC he has to be willing to come here. 

That's a tough checklist.  I listed 15 possible players, but maybe 5 or less might actually fit the bill.  KA needs to be looking for a defensive version of Teppo Numminnen.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

KA is definitely going to have to find the "right guy."  I'm not sure who that is which is why I started the thread.  The guy needs to be a good defensive player, experienced enough to have respect in the locker-room, hopefully come from a winning organization, young enough to be here are a period of 2-4 years and be willing to mentor younger players.  He also has to be available in trade, someone KA wants and if willing to pay for and if he has a NMC/NTC he has to be willing to come here. 

That's a tough checklist.  I listed 15 possible players, but maybe 5 or less might actually fit the bill.  KA needs to be looking for a defensive version of Teppo Numminnen.

A Jay McKee or Toni Lydman would also be welcome.  Going back a few years, James Patrick.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a big fan of Bryson; I think that despite his size he's a highly skilled, versatile D-man.  If Kevyn is set on bringing in a RHD I could see where a team that has too many RHD and perhaps trying to get younger (are there any?) might accept Bryson as the major return for an experienced RHD.  Such a trade would be beneficial for both teams and give Bryson an opportunity to be something more than a 7D; I think he's certainly capable of being a mid-pairing guy if he has the right partner.

Any chance Minny would trade Dumba for Bryson+?

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm a big fan of Bryson; I think that despite his size he's a highly skilled, versatile D-man.  If Kevyn is set on bringing in a RHD I could see where a team that has too many RHD and perhaps trying to get younger (are there any?) might accept Bryson as the major return for an experienced RHD.  Such a trade would be beneficial for both teams and give Bryson an opportunity to be something more than a 7D; I think he's certainly capable of being a mid-pairing guy if he has the right partner.

Absolutely there is a chance, especially once Johnson signs his ELC.  I don’t see Fitz and Bryson both being traded, but both will come up in trade discussions for teams looking to get younger and cheaper.  I am curious if KA values Bryson’s utility play or Fitz’s feisty physical play more?  

12 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Interesting idea... looking thru those names Im just not sure... no one excites me... though I like Tanev and Mayfield... cant believe Mayfield is 29 already... saw him play in AHL and he has a heckuv a shot.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Absolutely there is a chance, especially once Johnson signs his ELC.  I don’t see Fitz and Bryson both being traded, but both will come up in trade discussions for teams looking to get younger and cheaper.  I am curious if KA values Bryson’s utility play or Fitz’s feisty physical play more?  

I think it's more a case of Bryson shoots left and Fitz shoots right.  And Fitzgerald already has an established partner in Samuelsson.  On the other hand, Bryson has been a complementary partner to everyone they've paired him with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, North Buffalo said:

Interesting idea... looking thru those names Im just not sure... no one excites me... though I like Tanev and Mayfield... cant believe Mayfield is 29 already... saw him play in AHL and he has a heckuv a shot.

None are supposed to excite you.  The player is really supposed to be an upgrade over Pysyk.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Throw in Mitts!!!

I don't know who has access to fancystats, but for the charts that have the red and blue bars showing how good someone is, and the chart that shows how a given player makes other players better or worse, I wonder if what it would look like to plot all the Sabres' Dmen... who is the best?  Who makes other Dmen better to the greatest extent?

Just now, IvanPutski said:

Throw in Mitts!!!

Dahell for?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think it's more a case of Bryson shoots left and Fitz shoots right.  And Fitzgerald already has an established partner in Samuelsson.  On the other hand, Bryson has been a complementary partner to everyone they've paired him with.

And that is where the rub is.  Bryson seems to be able to play well with anyone.  He has looked good on both sides, especially on the right with Dahlin and Samuelsson.  He seems to be able to adjust to any partner. That is a significant skill that KA may want to hold on to over the more one dimensional Fitzgerald. 

• Like (+1) 1

Truth be told if it were me, I'd keep Byson over Fitzgerald even though I like both players.

However (to bring it back on topic), if the rest of the league sees Bryson as a more valuable asset than Fitzgerald, that may mean less going out the door in a trade for a RHD mentor to Power (and Samuelsson).

The problem in my case is that except for Butcher and Miller, I would like to keep all our Dmen.  I think they all bring something to the table.  But if we're bringing in a RHD vet, someone's gotta go.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.