Islanders a good trade partner?

sweetlou

I'm thinking a little outside the box with a trade with Islanders.  They had a very disappointing year and may look to change things up. Islanders will have about $15 million in cap space but need to sign 3 to 4 defenseman.  

My proposed  trade:

To Buffalo- Josh Bailey and Scott Mayfield.  Sabres get another vet 2nd LW who can help develop young players for next couple of years.  Mayfield would be a solid 2nd RD to play with Power. 

To Islanders- Mattias Samuelsson and Anders Bjork.  Although I don't want to lose Samuelsson the Sabres have depth on LD with Power, Johnson, and Bryson filling in the spots behind Dahlin. 

Not sure if the Sabres could convince Varlamov to come to Sabres as a starter for one year.  Could move him at deadline to a contender.  

• Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I have to give you credit sweetie louie, but not Muel.  No way, no how.  Not even for Tavares (if he were still on the Island).

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Samuelsson for Barzal would make me think.😄

I'm a Sabres fan through and through and have watched them since the mid 80's, but I believe you are over valuing Samuelsson.  He will be the same type of player Mayfield is. The Sabres have good LD in system and need a RD to play with Power. That is why this trade works.

1 minute ago, sweetlou said:

I'm a Sabres fan through and through and have watched them since the mid 80's, but I believe you are over valuing Samuelsson.  He will be the same type of player Mayfield is. The Sabres have good LD in system and need a RD to play with Power. That is why this trade works.

I would rather part with Johnson, who we don’t really know. Johnson could end better than Mule but Mule looks like a big part of the young guns.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

I'd rather not trade from the Dahlin, Power, Jokiharju, Samuelsson, Levi, Portillo, Cozens, Quinn, Peterka, Krebs group until their values and roles become more established, unless they are being traded for someone who adds to that group.

Mayfield would be a fine add, but he is not that.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

The problem is that Mayfield will be 30 when next season starts. So even if this is correct, we are trading 22yr old Samuelsson for 30yr old Mayfield all because Mayfield shoots right. That is just not good asset management IMPO. If you are going to get Mayfield, I would offer a 3rd and can probably do it for a 2nd. A 2nd seems to be the price of a depth defender. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

That's a reasonable take.  I just think that Samuelsson brings things that others don't.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I'm thinking a little outside the box with a trade with Islanders.  They had a very disappointing year and may look to change things up. Islanders will have about $15 million in cap space but need to sign 3 to 4 defenseman.  

My proposed  trade:

To Buffalo- Josh Bailey and Scott Mayfield.  Sabres get another vet 2nd LW who can help develop young players for next couple of years.  Mayfield would be a solid 2nd RD to play with Power. 

To Islanders- Mattias Samuelsson and Anders Bjork.  Although I don't want to lose Samuelsson the Sabres have depth on LD with Power, Johnson, and Bryson filling in the spots behind Dahlin. 

Not sure if the Sabres could convince Varlamov to come to Sabres as a starter for one year.  Could move him at deadline to a contender.  

Did someone put some crack in your Wheaties? Mattias Samuelsson is going to be a stud in this league. Bryson is a short wanna be that we are biding time with. 

On 3/21/2022 at 10:02 PM, LGR4GM said:

Calling him a "wanna be" is assuredly wrong. 

He won’t or shouldn’t have a spot next year on the club. There just won’t be room for this imposter. Have Dmen like him, Butcher and Miller is why we’re perennial losers

1 hour ago, JKB1646 said:

He won’t or shouldn’t have a spot next year on the club. There just won’t be room for this imposter. Have Dmen like him, Butcher and Miller is why we’re perennial losers

I think Bryson is better than those two.

He's not a prototypical Dman, or even a type that I usually like to watch (I have been enjoying the crap out of watching what Samuelsson is becoming), but Bryson sees the game incredibly fast and has value to an NHL team.

I think with the. right partner, he could be a huge defensive asset.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I think Bryson is better than those two.

He's not a prototypical Dman, or even a type that I usually like to watch (I have been enjoying the crap out of watching what Samuelsson is becoming), but Bryson sees the game incredibly fast and has value to an NHL team.

I think with the. right partner, he could be a huge defensive asset.

Put him with Muel. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Trade deadline is over, kind of.

I believe trades can be made, players just can't play in the post season which both Sabres and Islanders don't have to worry about.

1 hour ago, Rasmus_ said:

Personally, I didn't see much in this, but it's not a terrible idea.  Just doesn't make much sense on the time line.  Bailey fell off hard this year. 

Bailey is still a good playmaker. I think he would fit better on LW with Mitts and Quinn than Olofsson does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.