RIP Clark Gillies

FogBat

6 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

What a tough, hard-nosed player.  He was an unsung hero for those great Isles teams.  RIP, Clark.

It was easy to hate on the Islanders for winning the cup multiple years in a row in the 80's but I remember always really loving the way Clark Gillies played the game.  God bless him and his family and friends as they remember his life.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Digger said:

It was easy to hate on the Islanders for winning the cup multiple years in a row in the 80's but I remember always really loving the way Clark Gillies played the game.  God bless him and his family and friends as they remember his life.

Part of 1 of the best top lines in NHL history.

RIP Mr. Gilles.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

A key piece of those great Islander teams.  Help keep everyone honest in a different era.  Not to mention 67 is quite young.

Well, on 67, yes and no. I lost my dad back in 2010 and he was 67. Then again, he had been in poor health for a number of years, and having coffin nails for a vice didn’t help.

So, sorry for the digression. 67 used to be “old” decades ago.

2 hours ago, Digger said:

He was definitely a cog in that machine.

Edited by FogBat

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I met him at a concert at Maple West after he signed in Buffalo.  Nice guy.

I remember him being interviewed shortly after being traded to Buffalo.  I believe he described WNY as a well-kept secret in terms of a nice place to live.  His addition was part of Meehan's desire to "toughen-up" the Sabres, including the addition of Wilf Paiemont.  I wish we could have acquired him sooner than we did.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I remember him being interviewed shortly after being traded to Buffalo.  I believe he described WNY as a well-kept secret in terms of a nice place to live.  His addition was part of Meehan's desire to "toughen-up" the Sabres, including the addition of Wilf Paiemont.  I wish we could have acquired him sooner than we did.

The Islanders dynasty was pretty much over by the time we got him IIRC. So, if that’s the case, it might as well have been a matter of timing.

3 hours ago, Digger said:

Look at it this way: watching them beat the Flyers in their first SCF victory must have been sweet.

• Like (+1) 1

I was a middle-schooler having a birthday party in the upper blues and while Gilies was winding up for a slapshot I said out loud, "oh this is going to be a weak shot".....WRONG!....his shot ricocheted off the cross bar and caused my friend sitting next to me to dive for cover as the puck was headed right for his face.

Lesson learned.  I don't know what I'm talking about.

RIP, sir.  Sorry about calling your shot "weak".

Edited by NE Branch
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, NE Branch said:

I was a middle-schooler having a birthday party in the upper blues and while Gilies was winding up for a slapshot I said out loud, "oh this is going to be a weak shot".....WRONG!....his shot ricocheted off the cross bar and caused my friend sitting next to me to dive for cover as the puck was headed right for his face.

Lesson learned.  I don't know what I'm talking about.

RIP, sir.  Sorry about calling your shot "weak".

His shot must have been as good as it was at 2:26 of this video.

• Haha (+1) 2

17 hours ago, FogBat said:

The Islanders dynasty was pretty much over by the time we got him IIRC. So, if that’s the case, it might as well have been a matter of timing.

1987, so yes the Islander cup run was long over.  He played in Buffalo for 2 seasons and still had quite a bit to offer.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.