GDT:Rangers 12/10/21 7PM start

Claude Balls

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but has the tag-up always been this way? Why do we have the phrase "clear the zone" in relation to tagging up? Did players ever have to clear the blue line ("do the SwampD")?

Great question. I’m wondering if this was added when the delayed offside was added.

Thought I was going crazy. I always thought you had to be on white center ice to clear the zone, not just “tag up.”(something I learned today)

Edited by SwampD

4 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And take a penalty late in a game we are trying to tie? 

No, nothing stupid. On any normal team other guys would have pushed and shoved back a little and if it got a little rougher you'd get a guy off from each side and play the final minutes 5 on 4 instead of 6 on 5 with the goalie out. Nobody on this team even gave a damn. That's not what TEAMS do. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, SwampD said:

My point is that it is different for players and puck.

The blue line, as it relates to players, is a part of both zones.

The blue line, as it relates to the puck, is a part of the zone from which it came. So if you think about it, all of the zones change sizes throughout the game, depending on where the puck is and where it came from. Kinda cool.

Yes.  The zones do change size effectively, which is quite cool.

59 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm embarrassed to ask, but has the tag-up always been this way? Why do we have the phrase "clear the zone" in relation to tagging up? Did players ever have to clear the blue line ("do the SwampD")?

AFAIK, because the rule states that a player is off-side when both skates are over the blue line prior to the puck entering the zone, no, players have never had to completely clear the entirely of the defensive zone.  (Once the player's skate is on the blue line, & the puck is inside the zone, then the puck has preceded him into the zone.)  But ALL the players have to have the puck precede them into the zone at the same time.

BTW, that rule about players not being able to precede the puck into the zone dates back to the '30-'31 season.  Prior to that, it didn't matter but there were no forward passes in the offensive zone.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

So you're admitting Dahlin is merely a promising young defenseman who needs to be on a stacked team to be good? I guess it's OK if we all forget LGR's YT videos out of Sweden, the professional evaluations of Dahlin and the like. It's probably good for our mental health. But, yeah, if the subject comes up, keeping everything in context, to this point in his career, he has been a clear bust.

Declaring Dahlin a bust right now is an absurdity. You and I are travelling in parallel universes that will never meet. What you see is not what I see; what you believe is not what I believe. For many Sabre fans the inglorious past is coloring the views about this team and its direction. That is understandable. 

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Declaring Dahlin a bust right now is an absurdity. You and I are travelling in parallel universes that will never meet. What you see is not what I see; what you believe is not what I believe. For many Sabre fans the inglorious past is coloring the views about this team and its direction. That is understandable. 

I did write "to this point." If his career ended today, he'd be a bust. There's still time for him to prove otherwise. I think fourth year is enough time to issue an incomplete grade.

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

AFAIK, because the rule states that a player is off-side when both skates are over the blue line prior to the puck entering the zone, no, players have never had to completely clear the entirely of the defensive zone.  (Once the player's skate is on the blue line, & the puck is inside the zone, then the puck has preceded him into the zone.)  But ALL the players have to have the puck precede them into the zone at the same time.

BTW, that rule about players not being able to precede the puck into the zone dates back to the '30-'31 season.  Prior to that, it didn't matter but there were no forward passes in the offensive zone.

Thanks.

What do we make of this language:

If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:

(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone

IOW, why didn't Olofsson have to tag up?

20 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Thanks.

What do we make of this language:

If an off-side call is delayed, the Linesman shall drop his arm to nullify the off-side violation and allow play to continue if:

(i) All players of the offending team clear the zone at the same instant (skate contact with the blue line) permitting the attacking players to re-enter the attacking zone

IOW, why didn't Olofsson have to tag up?

Olofsson was still in the neutral zone when Dahlin had finally tagged up.  That's why he didn't need to "tag up."

Thompson also was still on the blue line, though just barely.

On 12/10/2021 at 10:22 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I don't remember anyone saying Dahlin was "generational" but he was a consensus #1 pick for most people. Lidstrom, Karlson, Hedman comparisons. 

There were a number of pieces that touted Dahlin as the greatest defense prospect since Denis Potvin, such as this one.  They were widely discussed on this forum at the time.

It is not a stretch to project that Dahlin will revolutionize his position in the same way that Orr and Potvin did. He will be all over the ice like Orr. He will be a physical force like Potvin. Best of all, he will take all of Karlsson's risks and make the vast majority of them pay off. Dahlin has a hockey sense that might be greater than that of a young Orr or Potvin.

Karlsson, meanwhile, has already declared Dahlin a better player than he was at the same age.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just responding to the "I don't remember anyone saying Dahlin was 'generational'" statement.  The knee-jerk reaction at the time was "greatest Dman since Potvin" from a lot of people.  That would be generational.

The mantra that Dahlin is the next Denis Potvin was widespread.  While looking back through threads and articles from that time, one stood out- a statement by Potvin himself stating that it was vital to teach Dahlin to play defense first before doing any of the fancy stuff.

Sarcastic Season 4 GIF by The Office

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.