Forbes Rankings for NHL Franchises is Out

Brawndo

8 hours ago, Ice Cold said:

It would be similar to what happened in Winnepeg and Minnesota who got their franchises back.  I know that many fans wouldn't be wanting to take that risk.  The very definition of "fan," precludes wanting the team to move, I think.  According to my 1975 Living Webster, "fan" is a slang term, meaning an enthusiast or devotee of any sport or amusement.  This raises the question, has one, according to Webster, stopped being a fan?  Are you devoted?  Enthused?  Not me.

Is one simply addicted to it, ignoring the negative consequences on mood and behavior?  Digging deeper into the roots, fan is said to be short for "fanatic," which has a more negative connotation.  It is a zealot; extremist: often applied to followers of a religion or political party.  Or it is also defined as "wildly enthusiastic; marked by extreme uncritical zeal."  Granted there are few if any fanatics of the Sabres remaining.  Doesn't sound like you'd want to be a fanatic anyway.

I feel good about the Buffalo fanbases love of the game of Hockey.  That is the pureness.  Loving this team, now, however, seems irrational to me, and perhaps unhealthy.

What should we call the new team if they took the name "Sabres" with them?  Hypothetically.

Mugwumps, obviously. 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Or put out a fantastic product, that makes good money, and excels for a long time in a town that will pay them back 100-fold.  

You imply that how good a team is, is merely the product of how much the owner wants it to happen. Kind of like "The Secret."

And in Buffalo specifically, spending $700MM on an expansion team, plus how much you need to build an actual team, will return you $100 billion if the team is good enough? Do I have the math right?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You imply that how good a team is, is merely the product of how much the owner wants it to happen. Kind of like "The Secret."

And in Buffalo specifically, spending $700MM on an expansion team, plus how much you need to build an actual team, will return you $100 billion if the team is good enough? Do I have the math right?

All of these implications are made up by you.  You are taking my comments too seriously. I am not implying any of that, and I’m not talking about an expansion team or spending money.  

I am just wishing for a change.  Current ownership is beyond bad. I have no faith in them. I am venting frustration because I am sick of losing, sick of being irrelevant, sick of watching a poor excuse for an NHL team.   That’s all. 

I would like to wake up one day and learn that they sold the team to a local ownership group.  I think the chances are good that anyone else would be better, certainly they could not be worse.  

11 hours ago, Ice Cold said:

I'd love for Quebec to have a team.

Buffalo Beavers?  I'm already a Beaver fanatic, you might say.

11 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

Buffalo Boners, if you really want to be clever with marketing. 

In the best of both worlds kind of thinking it has to be the Buffalo Beaver Boners.

@PASabreFan bring the maple syrup we need sweetener over here.

I'm with you @Ice Cold.  Been a Beaver fan my whole life.  Well, at least since 12 years old.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

image.png.a30d126c571126d488ca4197f15eb4b5.png

We have a Beaver living in a pond near us.  Never see him / her (?), but the dam is feat of engineering genius and the housen is fantastic.  See clear evidence of the daily activity with trees down and branches tracken in the very distinct way of the Beaver.

One of the most fascinating and important creatures in our wilds.  That pond used to almost dry up completely in the heat of the summer.  Now it teams with new life and growth all around and in it.  The dam hold back the water with just enough outflow to ensure freshness.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

All of these implications are made up by you.  You are taking my comments too seriously. I am not implying any of that, and I’m not talking about an expansion team or spending money.  

I am just wishing for a change.  Current ownership is beyond bad. I have no faith in them. I am venting frustration because I am sick of losing, sick of being irrelevant, sick of watching a poor excuse for an NHL team.   That’s all. 

I would like to wake up one day and learn that they sold the team to a local ownership group.  I think the chances are good that anyone else would be better, certainly they could not be worse.  

Yes, I get that. We're all exhausted. But it doesn't happen instantly. The current regime is working their plan. It's a slow plan. We are the ground floor right now. Fans said they understood back in September. In December, mired in a losing stretch, we want to blow everything up.

And I hope everyone realizes that Buffalo is not a market any major league wants to be in. The teams that are here are grandfathered. Lose them and they are never going to be replaced. So think twice when you wish for new ownership. Especially when these franchises are worth at least double elsewhere.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yes, I get that. We're all exhausted. But it doesn't happen instantly. The current regime is working their plan. It's a slow plan. We are the ground floor right now. Fans said they understood back in September. In December, mired in a losing stretch, we want to blow everything up.

And I hope everyone realizes that Buffalo is not a market any major league wants to be in. The teams that are here are grandfathered. Lose them and they are never going to be replaced. So think twice when you wish for new ownership. Especially when these franchises are worth at least double elsewhere.

Who the fans who said they are on board with this plan back in September?  The attendance and television rating clearly show that the majority of Sabre fans are not on board with this plan.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don’t want to blow up this rebuild.  I get what they are doing.  Other than Adams ignoring the goaltending position, I’m ok with him so far. 

Now the losing is taking a toll on fans and the season is still young.  Another bottom 5 finish could have a negative impact on the players we are trying to develop as well. 

Ownership has strict economic sanctions on the Sabres right now.  I just hope they “dig another well” if we ever get to that point. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/8/2021 at 4:44 PM, Pimlach said:

No, not move.  Sell and stay.  I can dream can’t I. 

They cannot be moved, it’s stipulated in the sales agreement. This comes directly from an attorney who worked on the sale to the Pegulas. He was with Golisano’s Representation. 

The Metropolitan Region of Quebec City Population is actually smaller the Buffalo-Niagara Region and Quebec City’s Favorite Son Marty Biron has mentioned a Few Times that they cannot support a NHL Franchise.  He also mentioned Montreal enjoys have the entire Province to itself and would be resistant to another franchise in Quebec. For a similar reason there has not been another franchise placed in the GTA, The Leafs do not want the competition. A total monopoly over the market is more profitable. 

Bettman is a huge believer in keeping franchises where they are, that is why Florida, Carolina and most notably Arizona have not moved. There is a possibility that Arizona is on the move secondary to its Arena Issues however I it will be interesting to see what happens with the planned arena in Tempe. 

The NHL has not allowed a franchise to move since 2011, compared to the NFL which has moved three since 2016. 
You want to talk about changing the value of a franchise, imagine moving the Bills to St Louis or San Antonio. The franchise value would start at 3 Billion easily. 

John Wawrow has tweeted that the Sabres are not for sale and will not be for sale unless the Bills Stadium Deal falls through, then all bets are off. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.