Jack Quinn is fine and probably good.

LGR4GM

41 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I like Lundell. He is an excellent 2 way forward who can put up pints and play great defense. He blocks shots and wins face offs too. He can do everything well.

Lundell is very good. He was the most pro ready of the draft group.  I think Rossi, Jarvis and Quinn will be very good too.  
Quinn and Peterka seem to have great chemistry so far. If they turn into top 6 bookends then that is a successful draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

A long time ago a lot of posters were down on Reinhart and one day I posted in every thread "Reinhart will be fine" and hence the call back to Quinn being fine. 

And it became a running meme on the forum.  Whenever someone wanted to express confidence in a player, they would type,

XXXX WILL BE FINE.

Although I think I'm the only one who put in in all caps and a slightly smaller font size 😉

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

And, at this point in time, it’s still too early to know who the best player was in the last three, maybe four drafts. We can have an opinion, but it’s still too early to call

Exactly.

The idea that Rossi, Sanderson, Perfetti, Raymond, Byfield, Holtz and Jarvis are better than Quinn is and was just that, an idea.

The idea Lafreniere, Lundell, Drysdale and Stutzle are better is supportable, but it’s also transitory.

There was a time when people thought Tyler Myers was worse than Luke Schenn and better than Erik Karlsson. Time changes things.

At the moment, all we really know is that Jack Quinn is leading the entire AHL in goals and is 2nd in points. It’s better than the alternative, but that’s all it is.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

Arguably we got the best player in this past draft. 

Well picking first overall you'd hope so, but there are people here who disagree on it. 

Dahlin was supposed to be the consensus #1 pick but right now maybe even Quinn Hughes is better. I'm not sure about that, but I do know at this point I'd rather have Brady Tkachuk or Svechnikov, and maybe even Koktaneimi. 

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

What are you basing “fine” on? Why not good, why not great?  He is playing injury free finally and tearing up the AHL early.

That was the word used in the thread. My point is that "fine" isn't really good enough for us to get better. We have to start drafting better overall. We have top picks every year but are not getting the best talent out of those drafts. Quinn is arguably "fine" but I see no reason to think he will be a great player either. Maybe not a total bust like Nylander, so it won't set us back like that did, but "fine" won't elevate us either. We either have to start getting the best talent early, and/or start hitting on more late picks, getting lucky. Either way, we simply have to draft better. Hopefully this analytical overhaul will help. Personally, I'm skeptical of the approach, but time will tell. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well picking first overall you'd hope so, but there are people here who disagree on it. 

Dahlin was supposed to be the consensus #1 pick but right now maybe even Quinn Hughes is better. I'm not sure about that, but I do know at this point I'd rather have Brady Tkachuk or Svechnikov, and maybe even Koktaneimi. 

Happy Excuse Me GIF

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Exactly.

The idea that Rossi, Sanderson, Perfetti, Raymond, Byfield, Holtz and Jarvis are better than Quinn is and was just that, an idea.

The idea Lafreniere, Lundell, Drysdale and Stutzle are better is supportable, but it’s also transitory.

There was a time when people thought Tyler Myers was worse than Luke Schenn and better than Erik Karlsson. Time changes things.

At the moment, all we really know is that Jack Quinn is leading the entire AHL in goals and is 2nd in points. It’s better than the alternative, but that’s all it is.

Raymond just got a hat trick. 

I don't think Perfetti is better and I don't think he ever will be better. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

One of these things is not like the other. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

With 6 points in 3 games your timing is not the greatest.

AHL. 

It's good to see, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Justin Bailey is the leading scorer for the Abbotsford Canucks (as an example)

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

One of these things is not like the other. 

what's your point?

15 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

AHL. 

It's good to see, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

Justin Bailey is the leading scorer for the Abbotsford Canucks (as an example)

what's your point?

It is all a super-small sample size thus far. But... why Bailey as the example? He's a 7-year AHL veteran who's played NHL games every season and his last full AHL season he was nearly a p/g player. That's not really a comparison for a someone who has skated less than a 1/4 season in the AHL last year plus 3 games this year.

Unless you mean Bailey's rookie Amerks season where he had a tidy 20-25-45 in 70 games and had us all excited for him to add scoring in the bottom six.

Quinn has a shot and 200-foot game that Bailey did not possess at the same age.

I think Quinn looks really good this year the only thing I have noticed is he gives hardly any effort to skate back for Defense or gives only 30% effort for defense like another Jack I never liked. Offense is great but if you coast off the ice or just coast up the ice while on defense then your offensive skills are pointless because you will be letting alot of scoring chances happen against your goalie. 

I think JJ is hands down the better all around player, he explodes up the ice and races back on defense too, I am very impressed by that kid.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Nozlen said:

I think Quinn looks really good this year the only thing I have noticed is he gives hardly any effort to skate back for Defense or gives only 30% effort for defense like another Jack I never liked. Offense is great but if you coast off the ice or just coast up the ice while on defense then your offensive skills are pointless because you will be letting alot of scoring chances happen against your goalie. 

I think JJ is hands down the better all around player, he explodes up the ice and races back on defense too, I am very impressed by that kid.

I have not seen an Amerks game this year, but in the Quinn games I have seen, I have never watched him give anything less than 100 % on defence.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

It is all a super-small sample size thus far. But... why Bailey as the example? He's a 7-year AHL veteran who's played NHL games every season and his last full AHL season he was nearly a p/g player. That's not really a comparison for a someone who has skated less than a 1/4 season in the AHL last year plus 3 games this year.

Unless you mean Bailey's rookie Amerks season where he had a tidy 20-25-45 in 70 games and had us all excited for him to add scoring in the bottom six.

Quinn has a shot and 200-foot game that Bailey did not possess at the same age.

Bailey as an example because he was here, we were excited, he was supposed to be good, and in the AHL he is good and still good, but it doesn't translate to the NHL, that's the point. 

So Quinn scoring in the AHL is good, but it ultimately means nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Raymond just got a hat trick. 

And just like that the player who scored 19 goals in his previous 101 games moves to the top of the list. 

We’ll have a pretty good idea who the best players are in 5 years, we might know in 10.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I have not seen an Amerks game this year, but in the Quinn games I have seen, I have never watched him give anything less than 100 % on defence.

In a full game it is more noticeable, but that is just my opinion, I still think JJ looks like the better prospect. I also think Linus Weissbach is looking very good as well.

I have not noticed anything from Oskari Laaksonen that stands out to be honest.

Edited by Nozlen

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

And just like that the player who scored 19 goals in his previous 101 games moves to the top of the list. 

We’ll have a pretty good idea who the best players are in 5 years, we might know in 10.

No, this is a message board. What the player did last night means everything and defines his entire career.  Raymond is now better then Gretzky who hasn’t done anything in years.😜🤣

4 hours ago, Nozlen said:

In a full game it is more noticeable, but that is just my opinion, I still think JJ looks like the better prospect. I also think Linus Weissbach is looking very good as well.

I also have not watched any AHL games, but Quinn is generally regarded by scouts as a notably well above average defensive forward with a mature 200 ft game.  He was used on a shutdown type line by Canada at the most recent world juniors.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

lol no, not quite especially since it was against a Chicago team that is a tire fire inside of a dumpster fire inside of a burning building. 

12 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Dahlin like all players will be a better player when surrounded by more talent. I see that steadily happening now. And it helps that he is being coached by someone who has a more enlightened approach to the game.

5 hours ago, Nozlen said:

I've noticed some people equate "played well" almost entirely to showed bursts of speed/hustle, initiated physical confrontations, and hit the scoresheet.

Some of these same people haven't liked Dahlin's game this season.

I think Dahlin has been very good this season.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I've noticed some people equate "played well" almost entirely to showed bursts of speed/hustle, initiated physical confrontations, and hit the scoresheet.

Some of these same people haven't liked Dahlin's game this season.

I think Dahlin has been very good this season.

Eye of the beholder, I guess.

I think Dahlin has looked a ton better then he did the last two years, in fact I use to hold my breath when he had puck in the defensive zone because I was waiting for the ill timed turnover from him, now I feel alot more comfortable, but he still does make dumb blind back passes or has a issue of turning back into the defensive zone instead of clearing.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I also have not watched any AHL games, but Quinn is generally regarded by scouts as a notably well above average defensive forward with a mature 200 ft game.  He was used on a shutdown type line by Canada at the most recent world juniors.

Could be but I personally have not seen that yet, but again it could be the game plan that keeps him ready for a breakout instead off pressing on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

Dahlin like all players will be a better player when surrounded by more talent. I see that steadily happening now. And it helps that he is being coached by someone who has a more enlightened approach to the game.

This is possible, but it's also been a refrain heard around these parts for years. Just add more talent and they'll all be fine and yet when various pieces of talent have been added it hasn't worked and we end up with Halls and Skinners. 

With Dahlin, I'm just not sure he has the drive and character to be a star D man so maybe if that falls to Power then he can fall into a role where he can excell without the expectation of being dominant. idk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.